Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 hours ago, scooter_phx said:

Diz 'N Bird at Carnegie Hall - Charlie Parker | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards | AllMusic

Until I got the album with this fine cover, my only source was a Bellaphone "Jazz Tracks" album which had the whole small combo set on Side A.ย 
Well , a MUST for an eager bebop-student as I was in my teens. So fast, Koko, Dizzy Atmosphere, I think "Confirmation" and Groovin High as medium tempos. Thatยดs were you learned by listening to those giants.ย 
But the drummer Joe Harris was more a big band drummer than a small combo drummer, and I had the impressions that on the ultra fast pieces he somehow struggles. John Lewis great as he is, also was more comfortable on medium tempos.ย 

When I bought the album you have posted, the Big Band stuff is fine, but I think other records of the Big Band had a better sound, like the "Pasadena Concert" or the new discovered "Spotlight Big Band" .ย 

At least I had an idea how it could have been in those days when I still was not born....at least when Dizzy had formed an All Star Big Band for his 70th Birthday tour, they played all that 40ยดs stuff, all them tunes like Manteca, Things to Come, Good Bait and so on.....

Stanley Turrentine โ€œThe Spoilerโ€ Blue Note Japan cd UCCU-8112

3b834d6f2fd5e6bf572bdb17f0be669b41e09c9e

Iโ€™ve always liked this oneโ€“what a band, and the Pearson arrangements really frame Stan.

Alto Saxophone, Flute โ€“ James Spaulding
Arranged By โ€“ Duke Pearson
Baritone Saxophone โ€“ Pepper Adams
Bass, Electric Bass โ€“ Bob Cranshaw
Design โ€“ Reid Miles
Drums โ€“ Mickey Roker
Liner Notes โ€“ Leonard Feather
Piano โ€“ McCoy Tyner
Shaker, Tambourine โ€“ Joseph Rivera
Tenor Saxophone โ€“ Stanley Turrentine
Trombone โ€“ Julian Priester
Trumpet โ€“ Blue Mitchell