Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 12/14/2022 at 5:39 AM, ghost of miles said:

Another one off the shelf for a fresh listen, prompted by reading the new Sonny Rollins bio:

51PDO8XSLhL._SY580_.jpg

I like all those Savoy recordings of the 40´s . In the 70´s there was those double LPs, a main guide for me to listen to the Masters of the 40´s , like the 'CharlieParker Master Takes, the Billy Eckstine band with all them stars....., and the single LPs of Fats Navarro, Dexter Gordon , J.J. Johnson.

Byas was one of the great masters. 

17 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Archie Shepp-Chet Baker Quintet "In Memory Of: first and last meeting Frankfurt and Paris 1988"

29501768.jpg

Yeah I bought it shortly after it came out.

Really a strange combination those two. Some of the music is fine, but not everything. I prefer to hear them in separate groups. 
I saw Chet Baker for the last time late in 1987, just a few months before he died, and it was the best Chet Baker I ever had heard.....

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

Really a strange combination those two. Some of the music is fine, but not everything. I prefer to hear them in separate groups. 
I saw Chet Baker for the last time late in 1987, just a few months before he died, and it was the best Chet Baker I ever had heard.....

I like this quite a bit. More than you perhaps. All play well, and I enjoy both of the singing.

11 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

611Q42682ML.jpg

👍😁

23 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

th-3223007292.jpeg

😁👍

On 12/13/2022 at 7:11 PM, Stompin at the Savoy said:

20302313538.png

I have the Mosaic set with these performances but saw an inexpensive used copy on ebay and snagged it.   Remastered by Malcolm Addey in 2007.  Seems like this has a clearer image than the Mosaic; very lively, warm and clear.

👍😁

Now streaming:

Ni5qcGVn.jpeg

Tamba Trio - Tamba (RCA Victor Brazil, 1974)
with Luiz Eça (p, kybd, vo); Bebeto Castilho (b, fl, sax, vo); Hélcio Milito (d, perc, vo)

I only discovered this recently, and it's knocking me out!  It's comparable to the Tamba 4's We and the Sea, which is much more well-known in the US (since it was released domestically on A&M in '67).  This 1974 release actually reverts to the original early-60s trio lineup, with Milito returning to the drum chair.

Along with José Roberto Bertrami (Azymuth), Egberto Gismonti, and Jovino Santos Neto (originally with Hermeto Pascoal's 80s group), Luiz Eça is one of the most interesting Brazilian pianists/keyboardists I've heard.

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

Now streaming:

Ni5qcGVn.jpeg

Tamba Trio - Tamba (RCA Victor Brazil, 1974)
with Luiz Eça (p, kybd, vo); Bebeto Castilho (b, fl, sax, vo); Hélcio Milito (d, perc, vo)

I only discovered this recently, and it's knocking me out!  It's comparable to the Tamba 4's We and the Sea, which is much more well-known in the US (since it was released domestically on A&M in '67).  This 1974 release actually reverts to the original early-60s trio lineup, with Milito returning to the drum chair.

Along with José Roberto Bertrami (Azymuth), Egberto Gismonti, and Jovino Santos Neto (originally with Hermeto Pascoal's 80s group), Luiz Eça is one of the most interesting Brazilian pianists/keyboardists I've heard.

I love this album and Reflexos is such an awesome song. The 2001 Brasilian 100 Anos De Musica CD sounds great.  

Edited by dougcrates