• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

61BDHoM21PL._SX522_.jpg

I passed up this one recently when I saw it, and have been kicking myself. Both sides are surprisingly good. (Well, one side is as good as expected, and the other is surprisingly good.)

But really, I like how the Marsalises try so hard to produce something immaculate, and then the Freemans just burst out of the gate on side two like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, with a song called "Jug's Not Dead".

4 hours ago, HutchFan said:

What do you think of that album, Larry?  (Or others?)

I've never heard it, but always wondered if I should check it out.

it's good, as are all of Spaulding's of that era and label. Nice selection of tunes from Don Sickler's bag of vintage stuff -- e.g. Elmo Hope. Tina Brooks. Clifford Brown. Hank Mobley.

16 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Miles Davis – In Concert (Columbia, 1973)

R-2041614-1541940128-3689.jpg.be28b272c36ff619e03963a4a4f39e3d.jpg

Probably the weakest of the electric records (to my ears, the rhythm section struggles to get into any sort of order on the first Foot Fooler LP). But I love the version of "Ife" from Big Fun that opens up side 3.

Maybe I would have liked it less if I had not been already "there" and into it at that time. See, fellow kids from my school class together with me, we would go into that thing during intermissions "let´s play Miles Davis" and we would use cheap sunglasses, bend down and imitate the wah wah sound of the trumpet and some with some "rhythm feeling" would do rhythm patterns on the desks of the classroom and some guy would imitate the sound of a funky electric bass and stand in the position of a bass guitar player...... until the Prof. would come into the classroom and shout 'RUHE !!!"

So, this album was kinda cult-status then, it came out while Miles was coming to Vienna in 1973. 
So I don´t rate them, they are part of my own "history".....

I like the Ife, I like that other groove on most part of side A, that kind of funky bluesy thing in Eb, and that groove in Bb that reminds me of the next album "Agartha" which again was a cult-status for us (we didn´t have the Dark Magus and the Pangheea, since they were CBS Sony and not available at the Viennese record shops ). 

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

Another spin prompted by Aidan Levy’s new Sonny Rollins bio—a pattern I foresee continuing throughout my reading of the book:

Birdland_1951.jpg

I had most of the stuff on a red cover Italian LP in the 70´s. "Here is Miles Davis at his rare of all rarest performances". 
Well, I love it, it´s first rate bop with all them tunes like Half Nelson, Squirrel, Move and so on. 
And I remember on side B there is Eddy Lockjaw Davis too, and sounds very nice. 
Well it´s one of the smokey sounding Birdland broadcasts like the Parker live records, the Bud Powell and Fats Navarro records and all that. It was very fine for me to learn to "play bop".....

3 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Birdland_1951.jpg

👍

Now playing:

51d1mqh-PkL._AC_.jpg

Recorded live during Zoot's pioneering London visit in 1961. Very much my era! Didn't make it to Ronnie's for that one, but knew the rhythm team of Stan Tracey, Kenny Napper and Jackie Dougan well. (Funny how British jazz musicians in those days always seemed to be either Londoners or Scots!)