Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Okay after that dose of sweetly sung Bacharach tunes I needed something to get my pulse back up. Was looking at a lot of hardbop on Blue Note and pulled this bebop session out and it will do the job. Everyone is “on” on this one but Lou is in my opinion the star of the show, as it should be on his date.

Lou Donaldson “Lou Takes Off!” Blue Note/Audio Wave XRCD24

This is one of the few LD albums I get back listening to. There were too many with too "sweetly" played or easy listening tunes with too much conga added to a just straight ahead group, and later too many albums with organ. 

This one is a good group performance with great musicians and much more boppish than some of the 1955-56 albums.

Actually, there are 3 LD albums I´m listening too, the first one with Horace Silver and Art Blakey, then Lou Takes Off, and Blues Walk though I would have preferred another pianist on it, like let´s say Sonny Clark or Horace Silver...

Edited by Gheorghe

18 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Need to dig out your old vinyl copy Bill !👍

52nd-Street-Themes.jpg

Art was also featured in the piano-less Gerry Mulligan Quartet of course.

Oh I was not aware of this. The reason might be I didn´t listen to the Gerry Mulligan pianoless Quartet. Somehow that kind of music was not very much listened to among musicians of my generation. I was already playing myself in jazz clubs when I became "friendly'" with an older loyal visitor, and between sets having a cigarette he told me about guys like "Shorty Rogers" and so on, that he listens much too and I had to admit I never had heard that name. Even about Chet Baker I heard for the first time in 1978 when there was an article about him in Jazz Podium. But needless I became a fan of Chet, as soon as I heard him first, but it was another Chet Baker than the one who got famous in the 50´s .

Well, but I don´t remember to have seen Art ever without a pianoless rhythm section. So this one with musicians I really love (Ron Carter, Tony Williams) must be a gas 

8 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

powell_bud~_budpowell_126b.jpg

When I was young I had those 5 Steeple Chase albums at the Golden Circle, but I have not listened to them recently. What disappointed me on them was that the drummer and bassist were not as good as let´s say Pierre Michelot and Kenny Clark about the same time in Paris, and 5 trio albums with too long blues tunes (Blues in the Closet, Straight No Chaser, Swedish Pastry running between 15 and 20 minutes) can become quite tedious. 
Bud played much better in Switzerland or Denmark about the same time. And maybe that playing only trio all time and in every town with other bassists and drummers also was disappointing for Bud who sometimes sounds a bit bored (mostly on that over long Straight No Chaser). 

I think someone gave me a tape with the Oslo tunes many years ago, it´s about the same like the Golden Circle gig.