Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lou Blackburn “The Complete Imperial Sessions” Blue Note Connoisseur Series cd

Bass – John Duke
Drums – Leroy Henderson
Piano – Horace Tapscott
Trombone – Lou Blackburn
Trumpet – Freddie Hill
Recorded on January 25, January 31, March 12, and March 18, 1963 at United Recorders, Los Angeles, CA

2 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

A damn good swinging octet session.

th-2805397408.jpeg

👍Yes, excellent. 

Now:

Primary

35 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Lou Blackburn “The Complete Imperial Sessions” Blue Note Connoisseur Series cd

Bass – John Duke
Drums – Leroy Henderson
Piano – Horace Tapscott
Trombone – Lou Blackburn
Trumpet – Freddie Hill
Recorded on January 25, January 31, March 12, and March 18, 1963 at United Recorders, Los Angeles, CA

👍

10 hours ago, BillF said:

👍

👍

Now playing:

5175-FOl13L._UXNaN_FMjpg_QL85_.jpg

👍

5 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Excellent !

52nd-Street-Themes.jpg

👍

Edited by John Tapscott

12 hours ago, Simon8 said:

51L0gpdYIQL._AC_.jpg

I was not aware of that album. I think "Elektra Musician" was a very short lived label, I think I had some of them, the Dexter Gordon album that I consider quite mediocre and first of all I´m not really a fan of organ, and a whole side is with organ, then I think I have that Woody Shaw  which is fine, and maybe an old Cliff Brown - Max Roach. 

This one of Ron Carter must be very interesting as a pianoless thing. And I´m a big fan of Tony Williams. Bill Evans was from the only 80´s Miles band that sounded interesting to me, but the biggest surprise for me is the participation of Art Farmer. I saw Art Farmer so many times I can´t count them, but always did believe that he is the kind of trumpetist who needs a piano player. It must be interesting to hear him in a pianoless context. 

And Ron Carter was an idol of all of us in the 70´s and early 80´s. His big sound. I think I might start a topic about his sound and his playing style ......, it´s something I grew up with 

2 hours ago, BillF said:

the-horace-silver-quintet-silvers-blue-C

Need to dig out your old vinyl copy Bill !👍

52nd-Street-Themes.jpg

A welcome respin of a fine album. This would make a good Tone Poet reissue on vinyl.

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I was not aware of that album. I think "Elektra Musician" was a very short lived label, I think I had some of them, the Dexter Gordon album that I consider quite mediocre and first of all I´m not really a fan of organ, and a whole side is with organ, then I think I have that Woody Shaw  which is fine, and maybe an old Cliff Brown - Max Roach. 

This one of Ron Carter must be very interesting as a pianoless thing. And I´m a big fan of Tony Williams. Bill Evans was from the only 80´s Miles band that sounded interesting to me, but the biggest surprise for me is the participation of Art Farmer. I saw Art Farmer so many times I can´t count them, but always did believe that he is the kind of trumpetist who needs a piano player. It must be interesting to hear him in a pianoless context. 

And Ron Carter was an idol of all of us in the 70´s and early 80´s. His big sound. I think I might start a topic about his sound and his playing style ......, it´s something I grew up with 

Art was also featured in the piano-less Gerry Mulligan Quartet of course.

Okay after that dose of sweetly sung Bacharach tunes I needed something to get my pulse back up. Was looking at a lot of hardbop on Blue Note and pulled this bebop session out and it will do the job. Everyone is “on” on this one but Lou is in my opinion the star of the show, as it should be on his date.

Lou Donaldson “Lou Takes Off!” Blue Note/Audio Wave XRCD24

bf7b91beddf48d90cc56ecfc33539910bc6dccce

47 minutes ago, Justin V said:

Duke-Ellington-Capitol-albums.jpg

What's better than when your five-year-old daughter starts mouthing 'wah-wah' to plunger-muted trombone?  When she follows that up with some enthusiastic air clarinet.:rofl:

Raising her right!

37 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

ab67616d0000b27373b1e7645de1d373bbea0d29

From the Mosaic Select

I need to pick this up. Likely go for a CD or LP of it. One of the Patton sessions I'm missing.