Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 2/12/2023 at 6:34 AM, Chuck Nessa said:

The "All American" half of this with Budd Johnson and Eddie Costa after playing the Ellington record.

Ni03MzY3LmpwZWc.jpeg

I had not seen fotos of Clark Terry when he was young. I remember him "only" as that kind of elder statesman, who usually sat on a chair while playing but still played  very fine. 

But here on that photo he looks like a twin brother of Bud Powell. I didn´t know there can be such an astonishing similarity....

How could you describe Clark Terry´s trumpet style. Miles Davis praised him highly as a major influence back then in Saint Louis, but even if he was in the age between Diz and Miles there is not much recording evidence of him from the bebop days, and also later you always read about Lee Morgan and Donald Byrd in the 50´s and Hubbard and Woody Shaw later. 
One thing that I had heard had given him a small commercial succes was what he called "Mumbles", I think once I heard an album from 1975 where there is something of that, but mostly I remember him as the elder sir, the old master who would share the stage mostly with younger musicians.....great ! 

58 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

I had not seen fotos of Clark Terry when he was young. I remember him "only" as that kind of elder statesman, who usually sat on a chair while playing but still played  very fine. 

But here on that photo he looks like a twin brother of Bud Powell. I didn´t know there can be such an astonishing similarity....

How could you describe Clark Terry´s trumpet style. Miles Davis praised him highly as a major influence back then in Saint Louis, but even if he was in the age between Diz and Miles there is not much recording evidence of him from the bebop days, and also later you always read about Lee Morgan and Donald Byrd in the 50´s and Hubbard and Woody Shaw later. 
One thing that I had heard had given him a small commercial succes was what he called "Mumbles", I think once I heard an album from 1975 where there is something of that, but mostly I remember him as the elder sir, the old master who would share the stage mostly with younger musicians.....great ! 

‘Mumbles’ would be from one of those albums with the Big Bad Band.

I remember him doing that one with the Big Bad Band on a BBC TV broadcast circa 1975/76, filmed in London. I don’t think it has ever been repeated that I know of, just a half hour show. Remember being surprised at the time that the trumpets included Richard Williams, along with names such as Chris Woods in the saxes.

NzAtOTM2MC5qcGVn.jpeg

Chick Corea & The Spanish Heart Band - Antidote (Concord, 2019)

Piano, Keyboards – Chick Corea
Flute, Sax – Jorge Pardo
Trumpet – Michael Rodriguez
Trombone – Steve Davis
Guitar – Niño Josele
Bass – Carlitos del Puerto
Drums – Marcus Gilmore
Percussion – Luisito Quintero
Vocals – Ruben Blades, Maria Bianca, Gayle Moran Corea

7 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Incredible resemblance between Clark Terry and Bud Powell! I had no idea, thanks for pointing that out.

I think the "Mumbles" thing, which was even a single, first appeared on the 1964 album

Ny5qcGVn.jpeg

(don't know which was released first, single or album). I always had the impression it became a schtick that he would often perform. I'm pretty sure I saw it long ago on TV...