• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now streaming via YT:

Ny0xMTU1LmpwZWc.jpeg

Carol Sloane with Roland Hanna & George Mraz - Spring Is Here, Take 2 (LOB JP, 1977)

OC02NTQ0LmpwZWc.jpeg

There are some lovely remembrances of Carol Sloane, who died last month, in the March edition The New York City Jazz Record.   Well worth a look.

Incidentally, the same edition of the NYCJR also includes an excellent review of the new book by Dave Liebman & Richie Beirach by our forum's own @Ken Dryden.  :tup 

61p8nTjJD-L._AC_UF600,600_QL80_.jpg

Edited by HutchFan

On 2/24/2023 at 8:37 PM, jazzbo said:

Another that came in from eBay today, another Japanese 24Bit by RVG lp facsimile cd I was missing, found at a good price.

Herbie Hancock “My Point of View” Blue Note Japan cd

I think I lack less than 40 of the Japanese titles now. Getting hard to find at decent prices. … .

Sorry I never know about the provenience of a certain disc. I have some from Japan when they were in the record stores and not available as indigen editions, but I really love the music itself. 
I think I had that BN-LA-Double Album of Herbie Hancock which had material from all his 60´s session. They all are great. This one is a special rarity for the participation of Hank Mobley, so the personnel spans from old masters to young lions of that generation (Tony Williams) . As much as I remember, besides the great title tune (strange for me that it is lesser known than Watermelon Man), there is a lot of older styled straight ahead stuff also on it. 

On 2/24/2023 at 9:10 PM, jazzbo said:

Miles Davis “At The Plugged Nickel Chicago, Vol. 1 & Vol. 2” Sony 2 cd set, SICP 4180/1 2014 (uses 2009 mastering) Disc 1

f9b7f640043ed6d52f37700acda9d0c283767675

Just when I purchased it in my teenage years, I spinned it very often, especially that very very fast version of "Walkin´" at a high volume, to fully enjoy the sound, the sound of Tony Williams and all that.....

During that time I stayed at my elder sister´s place when she had called a craftman to fix something downsteps. I didn´t know there is somebody else, but later in the evenig my sister told me "you know.....that craftman..... he liked what you spinned. While working he always said "wow......great music you have here ....". Those were the days when there was a much bigger audience for our music....

23 hours ago, Referentzhunter said:

34950.jpg

One of my all time favourites. So I didn´t know anything about any religion, this music has a very moving quality for me. I cannot and could not listen to such stuff every day, since I have to study more what will be played, but if I have the time and the patience, I love to listen to it. Love the sound of it ! 

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

During that time I stayed at my elder sister´s place when she had called a craftman to fix something downsteps. I didn´t know there is somebody else, but later in the evenig my sister told me "you know.....that craftman..... he liked what you spinned. While working he always said "wow......great music you have here ....". Those were the days when there was a much bigger audience for our music....

I'm not sure what years you're you're talking about, Gheorghe, but yes, there was a following for jazz which is quite unimaginable nowadays. Not for nothing are the years c.1957-62 known as the "jazz boom". And, of course, without a quasi-mass following for the music, we would never have had all those albums pouring from Blue Note, Riverside, Prestige, Contemporary, etc. which I guess explains the paucity of jazz recording nowadays. (People last week were at pains to find an album in the name of talented altoist Patrick Bartley.) I haven't forgotten, though, that diminishing returns for musicians in the age of streaming are also causing live performances to loom larger than recordings nowadays, meaning that today's jazz is more likely to be got from YouTube than discs.

But, to return to the Golden Age,😀 now playing:

NTgtMTk2Mi5qcGVn.jpeg

Edited by BillF