Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

John Lewis  – European WindowsR-4422684-1440937555-7365.jpg.d89425edd512f3883b4ab6cee889071a.jpg

This is probably what I imagined when I first learned about Third Stream as a concept. It is much more 'classical' than most third stream.

No way. I'd love to, as it is a lot of fun. I was streaming it via discogs.

Was reissued in the french "RCA Masters" series which I have with a bunch of other RCA's.

43734580tv.jpg

43734581as.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner

13 hours ago, gmonahan said:

51SAK0JJPXL._AC_UY218_.jpg

I have this. 
I always did like Allen Eager with Tadd Dameron and Fats Navarro, I think I have him on quite a lot of bop albums from the 40´s . 

I think I remember on this one is a whole set of a live club date from Boston or so. 

But some tracks from some photographic studio are not so fine, I think somebody does some terrible sounding crap on drums. 

On 9/10/2023 at 12:40 PM, jazzbo said:

Another release from 1978. . . quite different.

Charles Mingus “Something Like a Bird” Atlantic cd from the “Changes” box set.

f0d44c45727c71cd06e7d5031ce053696b3c90b6

I remember this one quite well. It was released after "Me Myself and I" with the fantastic "Three Worlds of Drums". 

This here is more a blowing session. Some very hot players, all the horns are great ! 

But I can´t stand that thin shit the two basses produce on their solos. It was outright painful for Mingus who couldn´t play bass anymore, to hear this. 

And I never understood why they had to add to the acoustic piano of Bob Neloms an electric piano by Ken Werner. I mean Ken Werner is a great pianist, but why on electric piano. that sounds terrible....

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

I remember this one quite well. It was released after "Me Myself and I" with the fantastic "Three Worlds of Drums". 

This here is more a blowing session. Some very hot players, all the horns are great ! 

But I can´t stand that thin shit the two basses produce on their solos. It was outright painful for Mingus who couldn´t play bass anymore, to hear this. 

And I never understood why they had to add to the acoustic piano of Bob Neloms an electric piano by Ken Werner. I mean Ken Werner is a great pianist, but why on electric piano. that sounds terrible....

I myself think neither the two basses nor the electric piano sound terrible or detract from the whole.

will check it out (so far, the best I've heard by the two was Ross's Parable of the Poet last year, I also kind of liked the quartet albums by Peter Evans and Theo Hill that you played recently, as well as the In Common album with Ross... but nothing comes close to that gig)

Mi02NTUwLmpwZWc.jpeg