Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

I know Mr. B later quipped of his “Legendary Big Band” that he “nearly starved with that m*#%^$er,” but damn does this music still sound good so many decades on.

41XJASQR9PL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

I would like to have much more of Billy Eckstine Big Band than I have, but I fear there is not much more CDs or LPs. I think I have the Spotlite LP "Together"and  the Savoy double album, since they also have a lot of good instrumental stuff goin´ on, I think there is one more on Savoy titled "Billy Eckstine Sings", which is also from that period, but with less action by the band, more featured the vocal. 

Does your album have other stuff that I don´t have ? 

Georges Arvanitas Trio – 3 Am

R-4444736-1414722806-4237.jpg.7b5b9948ae3b7c27f5ce5c50740edab3.jpg

51 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

How is that? I've never heard it

It's okay. 

There's four tracks, including some solid composition for solo piano, a sample-heavy opening track that struck me as redundant, and a strong take on Shadowgraph.

So, worth a stream, now that we can, but not something I'd necessarily recommend.

I love George Lewis' playing and composition in the 70s and 80s, but I am not sure whether I have heard anything of his that I've thought was up to scratch since then. I thought it was telling that the version of Shadowgraph on here is by far and away the strongest moment.

Now on to:

Joy 

a0149766470_65.jpeg.97eaa14add4633a7ef85d2e094d078f0.jpeg

Jazz history is full of paths not taken and potential models underused. At times this one really calls to mind Freddie Hubbard's Red Clay, which I don't think has been mined for its mineral content nearly enough.

So great to not have to be listening to headphones this morning.

Miles Davis “In Person, Friday Night At The Blackhawk, San Francisco Vol.1” Sony SICP-3963

Fantastic music. This and it’s Vol.2 companion will be issued on Blu-Spec CD2 for the first time in about 4 weeks.

421e2fb7b6443f071ee09a6a59487ade2849b96b

36 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

So great to not have to be listening to headphones this morning.

Miles Davis “In Person, Friday Night At The Blackhawk, San Francisco Vol.1” Sony SICP-3963

Fantastic music. This and it’s Vol.2 companion will be issued on Blu-Spec CD2 for the first time in about 4 weeks.

421e2fb7b6443f071ee09a6a59487ade2849b96b

You can listen to jazz at morning time ?  Well, we must be flexible, but for me, depending on where I am, I need breakfast completly quiet, or at home having easy morning conversation together with my woman. 

Jazz for me is strictly evening, late evening, the time I would play a gig. 

I purchased Miles in Person as a double LP, it was as I think a Japonese edition, I think they called it CBS Sony. 

But I was not only happy with it. The sound of the trumpet if I remember is very weak, and the tunes are too much over and over played with the exception of "Teo" I think. 

In general the early sixties are the stuff I have listened to less than what was before with the first quinted with Philly and Trane, and the second quinted with Herbie and Tony. It somehow had become routine. Jimmy Cobb just doesn´t exite me the way Philly J.J or Tony would. But I like mostly Mobley on this record, he does interesting things, even if Miles didn´t like him......

2 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Georges Arvanitas Trio – 3 Am

R-4444736-1414722806-4237.jpg.7b5b9948ae3b7c27f5ce5c50740edab3.jpg

It's okay. 

There's four tracks, including some solid composition for solo piano, a sample-heavy opening track that struck me as redundant, and a strong take on Shadowgraph.

So, worth a stream, now that we can, but not something I'd necessarily recommend.

I love George Lewis' playing and composition in the 70s and 80s, but I am not sure whether I have heard anything of his that I've thought was up to scratch since then. I thought it was telling that the version of Shadowgraph on here is by far and away the strongest moment.

Now on to:

Joy 

a0149766470_65.jpeg.97eaa14add4633a7ef85d2e094d078f0.jpeg

Jazz history is full of paths not taken and potential models underused. At times this one really calls to mind Freddie Hubbard's Red Clay, which I don't think has been mined for its mineral content nearly enough.

About George Arvanitas : I remember he and his trio accopanied a lot of visiting horn players in France at those big festivals but didn´t know he had such a a great trio with Doug Watkins and Art Taylor ???? ! 

From what I heard on those gigs where his trio plays with US stars , he is fine and can play though I bet even at that time there was even greater European pianists (Siegfried Kessler, Tete Montoliu, Fritz Pauer) whom I heard and saw play. 

From that second LP I don´t know no name. The guy with the Afro in the centre of the pic looks very much like Hancock. 

17 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

About George Arvanitas : I remember he and his trio accopanied a lot of visiting horn players in France at those big festivals but didn´t know he had such a a great trio with Doug Watkins and Art Taylor ???? ! 

From what I heard on those gigs where his trio plays with US stars , he is fine and can play though I bet even at that time there was even greater European pianists (Siegfried Kessler, Tete Montoliu, Fritz Pauer) whom I heard and saw play. 

Worth a listen, as the record is very good. Easily streamable. It is very different to Pauer or Montoliu, and much more deferential to American models, but the rhythm section is as good as they come and Arvanitas has he advantage of being unusually loose and supple for a European player of the era, so in his own way he has an advantage over his peers. 

17 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

From that second LP I don´t know no name. The guy with the Afro in the centre of the pic looks very much like Hancock. 

They are British players from the mid 1970s. I think that they fall between two eras: too young to be part of the original late 60s / early 70s flowering of British jazz, but too old to be part of the early 80s movement. The record is good. As I noted above, Red Clay is an obvious reference point.

Edited by Rabshakeh

48 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

You can listen to jazz at morning time ?  Well, we must be flexible, but for me, depending on where I am, I need breakfast completly quiet, or at home having easy morning conversation together with my woman. 

Jazz for me is strictly evening, late evening, the time I would play a gig. 

I purchased Miles in Person as a double LP, it was as I think a Japonese edition, I think they called it CBS Sony. 

But I was not only happy with it. The sound of the trumpet if I remember is very weak, and the tunes are too much over and over played with the exception of "Teo" I think. 

In general the early sixties are the stuff I have listened to le

We're different people. I'm not a late night person, and my dog wakes me up early. (When I was performing in two bands on drums it was agony to me--to be out late and have to get up early to go to work, one night at the drums messed my balance up for a few days.) My wife continues sleeping, for three or so hours, so I listen to music, I'm very happy to have music playing while the world is so quiet and slowly coming to life. I don't have breakfast or coffee until my wife awakens.

I love the Blackhawk material. It was among the first Miles I picked up and digested after getting into Miles via his first three electric years or so. I don't find the trumpet playing weak, I love Wynton Kelly and PC and Jimmy Cobb as a section, and Mobley imo really does well here.

I couldn't disagree more about the transitional early 'sixties period. So be it. We're all different.

Edited by jazzbo

Lee Wiley With Billy Butterfield And His Orchestra “A Touch Of The Blues” RCA Victor Japan 24bit K2 remastered lp facsimile cd.

Now, I think I prefer the darker, richer sound of young Lee Wiley, BUT this album is amazing. Butterfield and the arrangements and Orchestra make a divine pocket for Lee to fit in, and her expressive nature has matured so gracefully, and that vibrato has crystalized–she reminds me of Bechet in having a strong personal vibrato signature.

There are great tunes chosen here as well. I’ve always loved the Louis Armstrong tune “Someday You’ll be Sorry” and she does a great rendition of the Jack Teagarden signature tune “A Hundred Years from Today.”

And this disc really sounds great. Sounds best with the phase reversed on my DAC.

20ac9562efad349be458b38a18b3961730fd634f

38 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Lee Wiley With Billy Butterfield And His Orchestra “A Touch Of The Blues” RCA Victor Japan 24bit K2 remastered lp facsimile cd.

Now, I think I prefer the darker, richer sound of young Lee Wiley, BUT this album is amazing. Butterfield and the arrangements and Orchestra make a divine pocket for Lee to fit in, and her expressive nature has matured so gracefully, and that vibrato has crystalized–she reminds me of Bechet in having a strong personal vibrato signature.

There are great tunes chosen here as well. I’ve always loved the Louis Armstrong tune “Someday You’ll be Sorry” and she does a great rendition of the Jack Teagarden signature tune “A Hundred Years from Today.”

And this disc really sounds great. Sounds best with the phase reversed on my DAC.

20ac9562efad349be458b38a18b3961730fd634f

I'll give this a listen as I love Lee Wiley. I don't know that much about her beyond Night in Manhattan, and if you have any other favourites I should love to hear them.

2 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Worth a listen, as the record is very good. Easily streamable. It is very different to Pauer or Montoliu, and much more deferential to American models, but the rhythm section is as good as they come and Arvanitas has he advantage of being unusually loose and supple for a European player of the era, so in his own way he has an advantage over his peers. 

About George A., he sounds good on this Ted Curson date: 

The_New_Thing_&_the_Blue_Thing.jpg