Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 hours ago, HutchFan said:

One of my musical heroes, the composer Charles Ives, wrote a series of essays to accompany his Second Piano Sonata.  Logically enough, he titled these program notes Essays Before a Sonata.  Since many listeners (both then and now) consider his music to be "thorny" and "difficult,"  Ives hoped that these essays might provide a bridge for listeners to make their way in to his music by providing some insight into his thinking and his musical goals. 

Ives gave his sonata the subtitle Concord, Mass., 1840-1860, and he structured it around four New England Transcendentalist authors.  The dedicatee of the sonata's fourth and culminating movement is Henry David Thoreau.  In his essay on Thoreau, Ives describes how Thoreau once heard the ringing of the Concord Bell across a great distance while on Walden Pond.  Ives quotes Thoreau, describing how, "At a distance over the woods the sound acquires a certain vibratory hum as if the pine needles in the horizon were the strings of a harp which it swept. . .  A vibration of the universal lyre."   If I recall correctly, Ives later combined Thoreau's ideas in a new phrase, calling this exalted state of awareness (through music) the "vibratory hum of existence."  For Ives, the most important and most impressive music somehow captures this elusive, ephemeral quality.  A life vibration.

I'm just saying all this stuff about Ives and Thoreau and vibrations because it came bubbling up while I was listening to this music by Masahiko Sato.  Which is to say: I think it is magnificent, stunning, phantasmagorical music -- music that's as good as it gets.  And Ives' words somehow explain very well how certain types of music (like his and Sato's) work (in figurative terms, not musical terms) -- and how it affects us (or me, at least).

I hope these ramblings make some sense to you, and I'm touching on an idea with which you're familiar through your own listening.  . . . If not, my apologies for the long digression!  

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.  

I've only just come across this post. It's an example of why I keep coming back here, such enthusiasm and passion but also maybe most importantly here, knowledge and a willingness to openly share all of the aforementioned. It made me laugh out loud, definitely not at it but with it, in sheer delight 

I don't know the Sato album but I am a fan of his and I don't know the Ives either but I'm going to seek them both out now. Thanks @HutchFan

4 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Is this good?

First listen and I'd say partially successful. Sometimes Shipp's playing seems a bit heavy handed for Mitchell. Other times the band sound very together though

I'll enjoy revisiting

14 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

Not sure why, but this is not one of my favorite examples of Sonny Rollins playing from that earlier period?

th-2459804148.jpeg

Well it´s nice, I think I remember there is a nice waltz on it. 

But yeah, I have not spinned it for decades. If I want to hear early Rollins, it´s always the "Saxophone Collossus" or maybe the BN with Thelonious Monk and J.J. Johnson, and above all the trio at the Vanguard. 

11 hours ago, soulpope said:

ab67616d0000b27389a6362a8671f63cbbfc7146

Time to turn up the heating .....

Woody Shaw is one of my very favourites and I loved to hear him live, that´s why I´m so happy about the many live rrecordings that came out in the last few years. 

Normally I´m not interested in any non-musical relations, but I was astonished, that Woody looks much heftier on that picture than when I heard him, he was very very slim and dapper.....

14 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Miles Davis “A Tribute to Jack Johnson” Sony Blu-Spec CD2 2023

70b0094910f94a51745e3434f8b15b05a7a82261

Great as it is, with the best John McLaughlin I ever heard, and the great bass of Michale Henderson, this is a fantastic record. But it is stranged that Columbia had not promoted it properly, at least that´s what I heard and noticed since I got it somehow coincidentally in 1979, long after I had become a fan of Miles. 

It´s wonderful and that one fast bass riff became standard Miles, it appears on "Agharta" as "Theme from Jack Johnson", and it appeared again on "One Phone Call" on the controversial album "You Are Under Arrest", which I liked when it came out, but when Miles started almost each show with that theme, it became less interesting, as all shows as the 80´s went on...... (one exception was the show when Kei Akagi was on keyboards", it became a bit more "jazzy" again.....

3 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Woody Shaw is one of my very favourites and I loved to hear him live, that´s why I´m so happy about the many live rrecordings that came out in the last few years. 

Normally I´m not interested in any non-musical relations, but I was astonished, that Woody looks much heftier on that picture than when I heard him, he was very very slim and dapper.....

Beneath superb music this album houses a great cover photography .... it is said that that during the late seventies - when these recordings were made - he was off drugs making him likely looking better .... unfortunately thereafter alcohol/drugs took their toll 😪😪 ...

OIP.IwQsZPJbzLjwV2OuUGIl4AHaHa?rs=1&pid=

Just picked this up on CD. European Tour, 1976.

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Well it´s nice, I think I remember there is a nice waltz on it. 

But yeah, I have not spinned it for decades. If I want to hear early Rollins, it´s always the "Saxophone Collossus" or maybe the BN with Thelonious Monk and J.J. Johnson, and above all the trio at the Vanguard. 

When I saw him, I remember him being fairly slim and in good shape. He must have been in his late 30s.

Edited by sidewinder

41 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Beneath superb music this album houses a great cover photography .... it is said that that during the late seventies - when these recordings were made - he was off drugs making him likely looking better .... unfortunately thereafter alcohol/drugs took their toll 😪😪 ...

yes, that is possible, but the interesting thing is, that Woody Shaw always looked "classy" and spoke in a very very articulate manner, as long as he was living I never would have thought he is a user. Same with Joe Henderson. 
User or not, one thing must be said about them both: At least as much as I saw them on stage, they never ever lost their dignity or passion for the music. 
And I don´t know how they managed it, but as I said they looked dapper, looked classy , not like the cliché junkey/drunkard, hollow faced and teethless and shabbily dressed...... 

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Have to say - not impressed with either the laughable prices or the reported pressing quality from this 'Third Man' outfit. Happy to stick with the CD.

The Verve By Requst series pressed by Third Man has been plagued with issues.  I haven't had any issues with the Blue Note 313 Series though and the Grant Green sounds good.  Maybe I just got lucky. 

55 minutes ago, dougcrates said:

The Verve By Requst series pressed by Third Man has been plagued with issues.  I haven't had any issues with the Blue Note 313 Series though and the Grant Green sounds good.  Maybe I just got lucky. 

That's encouraging to hear. 👍

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

Good platter ....

Yes. Not the best of recordings but good enough and Woody plays with real fire. Particularly like the version of 'Invitation'.

OIP.MpZq9LZvEnS3PDYaeUoWRAAAAA?rs=1&pid=

Spinning disk 1. Annoyed to find that disk 3 had cracked - damn defective box design.😡