So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

20 hours ago, BillF said:

Dave Cliff is an old friend whom I've known since he was a student on the pioneering jazz course at Leeds College of Music in the 1960s where tutor Peter Ind was a big influence on him. I was a student at Leeds University at the time. 

There's an interesting recording circulating with Cliff doing a gig with Warne Marsh and Lee Konitz in the late 70s. Whitley Bay, Northumberland, of all places. I think Ind is on that one too (audience recording).

• Replies 79.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some Prestige Miles Davis.

First, this Ezz-thetic cd, “2nd Session 1956 Revisited.” I had stopped buying the items in this series because they are basically “gray market” discs, using the European copyright laws to issue things and no notice of licensing or using original parts. But a jazz penpal pulled my coattails towards this one saying the sound was very interesting.

Well it is interesting. . . the sound is quite good if a tiny bit “thin,” and it seems as if the engineer has turned this into a stereo recording with some sort of magic. What’s odd is that if this were a stereo Van Gelder recording the drums would be on the right, but they are here on the left, which is odd-sounding. But really the only odd-sounding part of the stereo sound field, which is puzzling. Doesn’t sound like the usual “pseudo-stereo.” Interesting. Maybe it's an anomaly of my system today. Will try to listen on headphones later.

Then on to
“Workin’” Prestige/Concord Rudy Van Gelder Remasters version. Very good sound! (MONO)

21ea940412fea013c970d72e156afe8d88424228

Edited by jazzbo

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

There's an interesting recording circulating with Cliff doing a gig with Warne Marsh and Lee Konitz in the late 70s. Whitley Bay, Northumberland, of all places. I think Ind is on that one too (audience recording).

Yes, Dave's recording with Warne and Lee was probably his greatest moment. I seem to recall it was in Scandinavia in several volumes.

Peter spread Lennie's message so thoroughly in Leeds that the jazz course was divided into two camps: Tristanoites and others! 😃

30 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

21ea940412fea013c970d72e156afe8d88424228

👍

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

Thelonious Monk, “Solo Monk” Columbia cd

Great performances here, I especially like “Ruby, My Dear”

52651eb133c1e989c11a09e4c58f809b47084e80

👍

39 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Some Prestige Miles Davis.

First, this Ezz-thetic cd, “2nd Session 1956 Revisited.” I had stopped buying the items in this series because they are basically “gray market” discs, using the European copyright laws to issue things and no notice of licensing or using original parts. But a jazz penpal pulled my coattails towards this one saying the sound was very interesting.

Well it is interesting. . . the sound is quite good if a tiny bit “thin,” and it seems as if the engineer has turned this into a stereo recording with some sort of magic. What’s odd is that if this were a stereo Van Gelder recording the drums would be on the right, but they are here on the left, which is odd-sounding. But really the only odd-sounding part of the stereo sound field, which is puzzling. Doesn’t sound like the usual “pseudo-stereo.” Interesting. Maybe it's an anomaly of my system today. Will try to listen on headphones later.

Have these official  "Ezz-Thetics" by Miles for many years. There are 2 different editions (on vinyl) with a very good sound quality. But most important its the music what counts.

The groups are really great. As to my private taste I would rate these recordings  far higher than the most recent electronic influenced stuff from which I have a bunch too. Dont think they are as important as those above mentioned.

42946922qj.jpg

42946907sp.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner
more text

2 minutes ago, jazzcorner said:

Have these "Ezz-Thetics" by Miles for many years. There are 2 different editions (on vinyl) with a very good sound quality. But most important its the music what counts. As to my private taste I would rate these recordings  far higher than the most recent electronic influenced stuff

42946922qj.jpg

42946907sp.jpg

In this case "Ezz-thetics" is not the Prestige sessions, but a label from Switzerland that is reissuing (among other things) out of copyright material in supposedly "remastered" editions.

https://werners-ezzthetics.bandcamp.com/

https://www.discogs.com/label/171702-REVISITED

1 hour ago, BillF said:

Yes, Dave's recording with Warne and Lee was probably his greatest moment. I seem to recall it was in Scandinavia in several volumes.

Peter spread Lennie's message so thoroughly in Leeds that the jazz course was divided into two camps: Tristanoites and others! 😃

👍

👍

I very much like Dave Cliff's guitar playing. I have 3 or 4 CDs on the Storyville label where Dave Cliff plays with Warne Marsh and Lee Konitz.

Cliff also appears on a number of CDs on the British Zephyr label.

Now playing:

th-3124822038.jpeg

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

In this case "Ezz-thetics" is not the Prestige sessions, but a label from Switzerland that is reissuing (among other things) out of copyright material in supposedly "remastered" editions.

https://werners-ezzthetics.bandcamp.com/

https://www.discogs.com/label/171702-REVISITED

Ah yes thanks. I see. Looks indeed a bit questionable. The parent label Hat Hut however is a regular label. Only the program there is non on my line.

;-]

Edited by jazzcorner
more text

5 hours ago, sidewinder said:

ONZY_MATTHEWS_MOSAIC+SELECT+29-736920.jp

👍

4 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

71iwrLpzmkL._SY355_.jpg

👍

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Charles Mingus “Tijuana Moods” ORG SACD

f792cf8ce8a6952d7bac4e080b8f59aba1617cd4

👍

1 hour ago, Peter Friedman said:

I very much like Dave Cliff's guitar playing. I have 3 or 4 CDs on the Storyville label where Dave Cliff plays with Warne Marsh and Lee Konitz.

Cliff also appears on a number of CDs on the British Zephyr label.

Now playing:

th-3124822038.jpeg

👍

Now: Primary

This band takes no prisoners. Whew!  

3 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Thelonious Monk, “Solo Monk” Columbia cd

Great performances here, I especially like “Ruby, My Dear”

52651eb133c1e989c11a09e4c58f809b47084e80

👍

10 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Have these official  "Ezz-Thetics" by Miles for many years. There are 2 different editions (on vinyl) with a very good sound quality. But most important its the music what counts.

The groups are really great. As to my private taste I would rate these recordings  far higher than the most recent electronic influenced stuff from which I have a bunch too. Dont think they are as important as those above mentioned.

42946922qj.jpg

42946907sp.jpg

oh yeah, the CD with the upper cover I have, since my wife once bought it for me for Chrismas. That´s the typical feminine touch, she saw "Miles Davis" on the cover and of course that´s the only name she "knew", but it was such a nice surprise and I enjoy listening to it just for that little story. The music of course is a bit strange for me, it sounds very much like abstract modern western music, but yeah, I listen to it, I close my eyes and listen to those strange little sounds like that one "Night sounds" or how it is titled, or that bizarre "Nite in Tunisia" with them dissonant sounds of the vibes of Teddy Charles, and the more than strange rhythm approach. 

15 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

th-2785306804.jpeg

It had another cover, but this was the very very first jazz I had. I started my live long love and affection for jazz with this album. 
I knew all the solos, loved Philly J.J.´s drum solo on Salt Peanuts so much, and each of those men was my "personal hero". Until I bought my second album, Mingus with Dolphy 1964, and from that point, those two became my main heroes....