17 hours ago, BillF said:

👍

Now playing:

510TB6hvJgL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

👍

17 hours ago, dougcrates said:

Ny05MTg4LmpwZWc.jpeg

Disc 1

After 9 days of Covid, I can start enjoying music again.  

👍 A good place to start! A fine set. Hope you are feeling much better.

Now:

Primary

Thanks to Peter Friedman for the recommendation. This is an exciting, excellent recording. 👍

Edited by John Tapscott

• Replies 79.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I recently ordered Chelsea Bridge (East Wind, 1975), a trio date with Jamil Nasser and Billy Higgins.  Can't wait for it to get here, so I can hear the entire album.  (I've only found two cuts on the internet -- so I've just had a "taste" so far.)

Justified anticipation 😇😎 ....

Edited by soulpope

7 hours ago, Stompin at the Savoy said:

Oh my boy, what a great track, thank´s for posting it. That´s bop at it´s best. 

"Our Delight" is a very nice tune which I have played at least since I had heard it for the first time on Tadd Dameron-Fats Navarro from Birdland 1949. 

Like the original, James Moody also plays it in Ab. 

But I have also heard Big Band versions from Diz and one from Mr. B where they play it in Db, which we also did. Other key, other feeling, that´s it. 

We two (Serena and me) had heard Mr. Moody first in Viena at Jazzland, where Art Farmer was in the audience, he died shortly after that. 

One year later we heard Mr. Moody again at Van Dyke´s in Miami Beach, FL and believe me or not, he  r e c o g n i z e d us, came to our table, greetet us and said "saw you last year in Vienna, Art Farmer was there" and we talked a bit. Such a wonderful musician and Gentleman. 

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

Oh my boy, what a great track, thank´s for posting it. That´s bop at it´s best. 

"Our Delight" is a very nice tune which I have played at least since I had heard it for the first time on Tadd Dameron-Fats Navarro from Birdland 1949. 

Like the original, James Moody also plays it in Ab. 

But I have also heard Big Band versions from Diz and one from Mr. B where they play it in Db, which we also did. Other key, other feeling, that´s it. 

We two (Serena and me) had heard Mr. Moody first in Viena at Jazzland, where Art Farmer was in the audience, he died shortly after that. 

One year later we heard Mr. Moody again at Van Dyke´s in Miami Beach, FL and believe me or not, he  r e c o g n i z e d us, came to our table, greetet us and said "saw you last year in Vienna, Art Farmer was there" and we talked a bit. Such a wonderful musician and Gentleman. 

I really like this record and just bought a used copy.  I've been getting into Moody a bit lately and noticed this item towards the end of his discography.  Hey I'm a big Hank fan I thought and his late period stuff is almost always revealing.  Very impressed with the sound of all the instruments but especially of the piano in this!  Great tone.

1 hour ago, Stompin at the Savoy said:

Hey I'm a big Hank fan I thought and his late period stuff is almost always revealing.  Very impressed with the sound of all the instruments but especially of the piano in this!  Great tone.

I got into Moody as early as I had heard the first Diz albums when I was a kid, one of the olders had the Savoy record from the 40´s and another had some from the mid sixties, on both was Moody, and then I heard him on "Miles-Dameron in Paris 1949) which I own. At that time I was astonished how modern he sounded, it almost got to a point where it sounded Coltrane like or post Coltrane like. The only saxophonists I knew then was Dave Liebman and Johnny Griffin whom I had seen live. I was astonished that someone sounded like what I heard doin Liebman almost 3 decades later. 

Then I saw Moody an many Diz concerts, small group or big band in the late 70´s and 80´s until before Diz died. 
So the first time I saw him not as a sideman but a leader was those two occasions in Vienna and in USA , FL. 

I´m not too aware of discographies since I hear what I just pick or catch live, beeing an active musician myself....

Charles Tyler Ensemble – Folk And Mystery StoriesR-1601995-1621330048-2178.jpg.c4c49ee7fd61a59b5c53c098553388b5.jpg

A very good record. Presumably the cover is a deliberate reference to Booker Little on Candid, although seems a strange choice.

I should add, not £5:99 these days, but Charles Tyler records are still very underpriced. The clout crowd has completely missed an artist who should be their champion. In my twitter posting days I was always surprised by how few 'likes' a Tyler post would get.

Hearts & Minds – Electroradiance

R-12709391-1540482742-7445.jpg

NzgtMjc0Ny5qcGVn.jpeg

Gui Duvignau - Baden (Sunnyside, 2022)

Bass – Gui Duvignau
Clarinet, Saxophone – Billy Drewes
Piano, Wurlitzer Piano – Lawrence Fields
Drums – Jeff Hirshfield
Guitar – Bill Frisell (tracks: 1, 3, 9, 12)
Bass – Ron Carter (track: 5)