So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

14 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Charles Mingus “Me, Myself an Eye” Atlantic cd

From this box set:

dea551127432ea3ac49ddf965f8b4ae32e6656d9

Those albums are wonderful and with the exception of "Me Myself" and "Somethin like Bird" came out when Mingus was alive at playing. It was like all my idols who were performing and put out a record each year, like Miles, Rollins, McCoy, Dexter and so on. 
I had a special affinity for "Changes One and Two", "Three or Four Shades" and "Cumbia" since that´s the repertory that Mingus played live when I saw him. 
"Me myself an Eye" is interesting since it is a suite like "Three or Four Shades" or "Cumbia" was. How good would it have sounded if Mingus himself would have played on it. 

There was another record of Mingus between Cumbia and Me Myself an Eye, it was with Lionel Hampton but I don´t think it was as much successful, since the arrangements are somehow dull and though Hamp does his best, his vibe doesn´t really fit to tunes like "Fables of Faubus" or "Remember Rockefeller at Attica"....

• Replies 79.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, soulpope said:

Screenshot-2024-01-12-223514.jpg

Great record. My copy is still from the French America Label, which had many Mingus albums. 

I remember at first hearing I was a bit disappointed because I had hoped that it´s two drummers, I mean Willie Jones plus Max Roach. But soon I liked it very much. Nevertheless, from my then point of view, where I had started my life long Mingus love affair with the 3 LP set also from America label, the "Great Concert" with Dolphy, which is much more daring, and hearing the band on stage which sounded much "wilder" to me than this album, this was much more tame, but solid straight ahead jazz....., 

I also have the twin album "Chazz", also from Bohemia.....

13 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Great record. My copy is still from the French America Label, which had many Mingus albums. 

I had started my life long Mingus love affair with the 3 LP set also from America label, the "Great Concert" ....

Same here ....

6 hours ago, BillF said:

👍

👍

Now playing:

cover-13.jpg

👍

Now:

a0778139815_16.jpg

2 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Where would other forum members start with David Hazeltine's leader dates?

I'm a big Hazeltine fan. These are all good. I really enjoy  "I Remember Cedar." 

1052.jpg1048.jpg

1023.jpg1005.jpg

Edited by John Tapscott

Classic Don Byas Sessions 1944-1946 (Mosaic)image.jpeg.5be8ee8b0242ee7c82a5e2adc2fe21dc.jpeg

8 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I remember at first hearing I was a bit disappointed because I had hoped that it´s two drummers, I mean Willie Jones plus Max Roach. But soon I liked it very much. Nevertheless, from my then point of view, where I had started my life long Mingus love affair with the 3 LP set also from America label, the "Great Concert" with Dolphy, which is much more daring, and hearing the band on stage which sounded much "wilder" to me than this album, this was much more tame, but solid straight ahead jazz....., 

I also have the twin album "Chazz", also from Bohemia.....

There's a significant amount of additional material from these sessions on the Mingus Debut box set.

5 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Where would other forum members start with David Hazeltine's leader dates?

Hazeltine is the pianist for One For All, who are as close as we can get today to hearing The Jazz Messengers. I also have a few of his leader dates. I really like the 2 dates he did for the Chesky label, particularly the Jobim tribute, The Jobim Songbook In New York.

image.jpeg.d54ab9cbea9a249908f8b0b9c4407579.jpeg

I have both of these Chesky sessions on SACD and they sound very good. I also enjoy a few of his Venus recordings, sadly only available as expensive Japanese imports. I never did get around to getting all of them. I should rectify that one of these days.

This Venus CD gets some play time here:

image.jpeg.05329cd9967a93f1f1353f6356f49e76.jpeg

5 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

👍

Now:

I'm a big Hazeltine fan. These are all good. I really enjoy  "I Remember Cedar." 

Other Hazeltine Trio tribute albums I like are Alice in Wonderland (Evans) and Cleopatra's Dream (Powell).