Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Went on to disc 5 of “Springtime in New York.”

Then Jason Moran, “Artist in Residence” Blue Note cd.

6168MSIZqlL.jpg

Um. Okay. There is some great music here but the added voice reading text and the low level scraping and rustling. . . nah.

Edited by jazzbo

My5qcGVn.jpeg

Ganelin, Chekasin, Tarasov - Con Anima / Concerto Grosso (Golden Years of New Jazz)
Two LPs originally released on Melodiya; recorded in Vilnius, Lithuania in 1976 (Con Anima) and 1978 (Concerto Grosso)

There's a frenetic, "crazy carnival" aspect to this trio's music that (at times) reminds me of Shostakovich's music.  It's a very vivid sense of a certain kind of madcap absurdity.  But there's also passages of that are straightforwardly touching and beautiful.  It's very unusual and interesting.  . . . It seems miraculous that these recording were ever made & released in the USSR.  I think some grounding in that particular historical context would be helpful (if not required) to fully understand this music, as with DSCH and others.

27 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Billy Higgins 'Soweto' (Red Records)

:tup Good stuff!

19 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

:tup Good stuff!

Indeed it is - apart from some sibilance on track 1, presumably a deficiency in the recording.

Also picked up Higgins' 'Once More', also on Red Records. Cedar Walton and Bob Berg on both disks.

Saw Higgins, Walton and Berg around 1980 so this is a nice blast from the past. Whereas on the Red Records CDs Tony Dumas is on bass, at the gigs it was David Williams on bass under Cedar's 'Eastern Rebellion' name.

Edited by sidewinder

17 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Saw Higgins, Walton and Berg around 1980 so this is a nice blast from the past. Whereas on the Red Records CDs Tony Dumas is on bass, at the gigs it was David Williams on bass under Cedar's 'Eastern Rebellion' name.

I'm jealous.  I never had an opportunity to see & hear that group live.  I wish I could have!  ;) 

6 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I'm jealous.  I never had an opportunity to see & hear that group live.  I wish I could have!  ;) 

It was at Ronnie Scotts. Back in the 80s I used to try to catch at least one night of Cedar's regular annual appearances. Initially it was 'Eastern Rebellion' (Ralph Moore took over from Berg when he joined Miles) then the trio with Higgins and Williams. Back circa 1980, Scotts seemed like Billy's second home as he also appeared with George Coleman. Good times !

I'd never heard or seen these Red Records CDs before, then this afternoon spotted both of them second hand at a good price.

Edited by sidewinder