• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Now streaming:

LTYzNzkuanBlZw.jpeg

LTg1MDYuanBlZw.jpeg

Winstone's brilliant debut as a leader -- with a Who's-Who of Brit jazzers supporting her.

22 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Ni5qcGVn.jpeg

The Michael Garrick Sextet with Norma Winstone - The Heart is a Lotus (Argo, 1970)
Vocalion CD reissue 

:wub:

Dug both LPs out for a spin today prompted by your posts, such great music

1 hour ago, dougcrates said:

OC0yMjM2LmpwZWc.jpeg

It´s interesting that those classic BN albums of some artists like Miles, Monk, Milt Jackson, and here Clifford Brown were done somewhat before those gentlemen became world famous. 

But they are very fine. 

Here the Clifford Brown album, I think I had or have the CD shortly after the invention of CDs, somewhat in the 80´s after BN had a revival and put out all the stuff that had been OOP for decades.....

If I remember right, there was one side with John Lewis, Charlie Rouse, and one with Lou Donaldson like on the Blakey Birdland album.......

If I remember right there was also a Prestige album of Clifford Brown with the same title "Memorial Album", but strange to say it was not a Cliff Brown led band, but Tadd Dameron´s "Atlantic City" band.....

16 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Ny01MjAzLmpwZWc.jpeg

I also have this but didn´t spin it very much, since I was a bit disappointed. It sounds much too "smooth" for me. I love the early Jimmy Smith Dates for BN, like that two records with Lou Donaldson, Hank Mobley, Donald Byrd and Art Blakey and the first trio sessions especially "At Baby Grand" Delaware......., it´s more rough but very very exiting. 
From the late 50´s on into the 60´s his music somehow smoothened out. 

12 hours ago, HutchFan said:

MDgtNTc0MC5qcGVn.jpeg

Interesting, I remember his name and think I remember he was a Mingus-influenced bass player of the late 70´s of those who played after Mingus death on memorial albums. I think he and Dannie Richmond did that. 

15 hours ago, dougcrates said:

NC00MjYyLmpwZWc.jpeg

For me: The best Henderson album I have, and one of the best acoustic albums of the 70´s , especially from the tenor led quartets of that time and there were so many: I think a great part of what I heard live in the 70´s was tenor led quartets: Sonny Rollins Quartet, Joe Henderson Quartet, Dexter Gordon Quartet, Johnny Griffin Quartet, George Coleman Quartet, Eddie Lockjaw Davis Quartet........there must have been dozens of quartets......

Maria Schneider Jazz Orchestra - The Thompson Fields

taken me too long to finally get this. Ended up buying the download as the CD price is steep.  Prompted by this article in the Guardian today

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2024/feb/15/jazz-composer-maria-schneider-david-bowie-cracked-me-maybe-not-in-a-good-way

Edited by mjazzg

Now:

Lee-Konitz-Lone-Lee.jpg

Lee Konitz - Lone-Lee: Solo (Inner City, rec. 1974)
licensed from SteepleChase

Earlier:

MzgtMzUxNy5qcGVn.jpeg

Neil Ardley - A Symphony of Amaranths (Regal Zonophone, 1971)
Wah Wah Records (ES) 2018 vinyl reissue

1 hour ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Listening to the Buck Clayton Jam Sessions prompted me to get this off the shelf -

MC01ODMxLmpwZWc.jpeg

I tracked down that LP after you recommended it a few years ago.  :tup