• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Started this yesterday and finishing off listening to it this morning--had to shut the system down a bit early as my wife asked for one of her. favorite dinners and I had to run to the store to get some ingredients.

I love this one! "Santana (III)" -- I'm listening to the 2 channel SACD layer of the most recent Japanese SACD that included the Quad mix layer. Superb packaging. I think I may prefer the slightly warmer Mobile Fidelity Lab SACD but it's close. . . both sound fantastic.

file.php?id=4903

I'm going to follow it up with the first disc from this box set that I finally got in the mail from Europe. . . .

Pyramids "AOMAWA: THE 1970s RECORDINGS" 4 cd box set

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/5f3b39d78104223137fd52e5/1658941464602-ETYIAG31Y1PZS1GI764C/pyramids.jpg

https://idrisackamoor.bandcamp.com/album/aomawa-the-1970s-recordings

MC00Mjg3LmpwZWc.jpeg

1970 offbeat gem. This is what Spotify is good for - finding something totally unfamiliar by searching for a name I was curious about, and then finding, ok, Tony Coe, and then listening...this is a weird record. Weird and fascinating. Farnon only sometimes sticks to MOR practices, and Coe doesn't even try to. He snarls and bites and whispers, not at all unlike Paul Gonsalves playing on a stoned Percy Faith record or something. MOR, but only barely.

The album is apparently also known as:

MTQtMjcxNS5qcGVn.jpeg

Anybody else know this one?

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

MC00Mjg3LmpwZWc.jpeg

1970 offbeat gem. This is what Spotify is good for - finding something totally unfamiliar by searching for a name I was curious about, and then finding, ok, Tony Coe, and then listening...this is a weird record. Weird and fascinating. Farnon only sometimes sticks to MOR practices, and Coe doesn't even try to. He snarls and bites and whispers, not at all unlike Paul Gonsalves playing on a stoned Percy Faith record or something. MOR, but only barely.

MTQtMjcxNS5qcGVn.jpeg

I don’t know that one but that Spotify gem feature worked for me yesterday as I found Rickey Kelly’s 1979 album My Kind of Music. Great album from an artist I was completely unaware of. There’s definitely good and bad with streaming but these finds are always good. 

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

MC00Mjg3LmpwZWc.jpeg

No, but I know the Gonsalves-influenced  tenor of Tony Coe, and very nice too!

This, also available on Spotify, is one I like:

81dyl+dboYL._SS500_.jpg

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

OC05NjA5LmpwZWc.jpeg

MC0yNjY0LmpwZWc.jpeg

Wonderful!

Ok, this is a trip. Originally recorded in quad, but obviously now presented in stereo. Still, there's a real sense of directionality to the output. I'm listening on a Discman with really low-line Phillps plug-in speakers, and the sounds are just coming from all directions (except from behind, but it gets pretty close sometimes)..

I can only imagine what this would be like on a real system. Maybe over the weekend...

Not just audio hijinks either. Some really interesting music too. Not just a bunch of bloopybloop, actual lines and counterlines to lock onto/into.