So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

1m

a625d6675ec8c626d135561b9279235fa66db7c3

3992238bb625bf47fd42565aafc357d5439dd02a

“Miles Davis in Europe” Sony Blu-Spec CD Japan.

This is one of the releases of this material with unedited performances and includes the great “I Thought about You” that was not on the original LP. (Covers for this release always say stereo, there were fake stereo LP versions but most every cd reissue is the original mono).

Edited by jazzbo

• Replies 79.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Barney Wilen "Le Ca" Venus cd

s-l640.jpg

s-l640.jpg

I have two other versions of this one, my favorite Barney Wilen--you can sense his joy and excitement of recording at Rudy Van Gelder's studio, or so I imagine. Barney gets a beautiful sound out of soprano, tenor and baritone and Rudy captured it very very well. Great rhythm section too!

Barney Wilen, Kenny Barron, Ira Coleman, Lewis Nash

Edited by jazzbo

12 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Ruby Braff / George Barnes Quartet With John Giuffrida & Wayne Wright – The Ruby Braff / George Barnes Quartet (Chiarosco, 1973)

R-7271682-1437697676-9518.jpg

What a wonderful afternoon's listening it has been.

:tup:D

Yes its a real joy to listen to that relaxed swing of this group. A great fan here!

15 hours ago, jazzbo said:
1m

a625d6675ec8c626d135561b9279235fa66db7c3

3992238bb625bf47fd42565aafc357d5439dd02a

“Miles Davis in Europe” Sony Blu-Spec CD Japan.

This is one of the releases of this material with unedited performances and includes the great “I Thought about You” that was not on the original LP. (Covers for this release always say stereo, there were fake stereo LP versions but most every cd reissue is the original mono).

Miles in Europe still remains my favourite "second quintet" record. Until then I had heard only one or two albums from the "first quintet" and I bought this one "Miles in Europe" with another cover over here. It was very cheap, only 70 shillingi, less than the half price for a regular LP back then 5 decades ago. Yes, "I Tought About You" was not on it. But I was overwhelmed  by the power of Tony Williams and the fresher sound of Herbie, other than Garland who sure is very nice. I don´t know how often I spinned that fast versions of "Walkin" and "Milestones", much more exiting to me than the original Prestige sessions. 

And imagine: Once during that time (I was maybe 16 years old) I stayed at the place of my sister and listened to it loud in my "kid-room" and my sister just had called a craftman to fix something in the house and later told me that this guy had shouted with enthusiasm "great music, wonderful !!!!!". Those were great times. Jazz was much more popular then....