So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

NzctNzcyNS5qcGVn.jpeg

Nancy Wilson - I Know I Love Him (Capitol)
Wilson seems to be one of those singers who can convincingly put across a song in many different settings, whether it's sophisticated pop, jazz, soul, R&B -- or a cocktail like this 1973 album that blends all of them.  She's supported by The Crusaders (who bring light touches of funk) and Don Sebesky (who brings the swoony-but-effective string arrangements).  I've only recently started looking into Wilson's recordings from the 70s.  It was a big mistake to wait so long.  This is good stuff! 

Edited by HutchFan

• Replies 79.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

NzctNzcyNS5qcGVn.jpeg

Wilson seems to be one of those singers who can convincingly put across a song in many different settings, whether it's sophisticated pop, jazz, soul, R&B -- or a cocktail like this 1973 album that blends all of them.  She's supported by The Crusaders (who bring light touches of funk) and Don Sebesky (who brings the swoony-but-effective string arrangements).  I've only recently started looking into Wilson's recordings from the 70s.  It was a big mistake to wait so long.  This is good stuff! 

I only know the Cannonball. Which other Wilson records do you most recommend?

4 hours ago, soulpope said:

Outstanding .... a great feat from Mosaic ....

Wish they had continued with that Singles series as most of them are very good.

9 hours ago, HutchFan said:

NzctNzcyNS5qcGVn.jpeg

I saw her once at the Hollywood Bowl. Wasn’t particularly a fan beforehand but was afterwards. Great stage presence and classy performer. Ironically it was with a Cannonball Tribute group backing her, including George Duke I think. Also not a scheduled appearance but something of a surprise.

11 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I only know the Cannonball. Which other Wilson records do you most recommend?

Any of them, really.  :P  She was remarkably consistent, and (at least here in the U.S.) her albums sold very well, so it's easy to find her LPs for just a few dollars.  She's also an artist whose work "translates" well to anthologies.  

That said, the first Nancy Wilson album that made me sit up and take notice was Hollywood My Way.  It includes astounding versions of Mancini classics -- "Moon River," "Days of Wine & Roses" -- plus a bunch of other hit songs from movies of the day. 

Yesterday's Love Songs, Today's Blues features Nancy Wilson with Gerald Wilson's Orchestra.  Terrific.

On a @JSngry recommendation, I recently picked up Tender Loving Care -- with Billy May arrangements.  Also wonderful.

NP:

NS01MDAzLmpwZWc.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

a3483343201_16.jpg

Good one!  :tup 

5 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

Pee Wee rules, in whatever context... :) 

So true!  :) 

Edited by HutchFan