• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Stompin at the Savoy said:

20302313538.png

I have the Mosaic set with these performances but saw an inexpensive used copy on ebay and snagged it.   Remastered by Malcolm Addey in 2007.  Seems like this has a clearer image than the Mosaic; very lively, warm and clear.

Not contradicting you, but if this has better sound than the Mosaic, it must be something else. I always thought the Birdland tracks on the Mosaic set sounded great. 

Now:

See the source image

5 minutes ago, John Tapscott said:

Not contradicting you, but if this has better sound than the Mosaic, it must be something else. I always thought the Birdland tracks on the Mosaic set sounded great. 

So did I and they do.  This may be better.  Here's the booklet: https://musicbrainz.org/release/8c6f08c5-2b1d-4208-aa39-41a2b1bd838a/cover-art

Edited by Stompin at the Savoy

Donald Byrd "Free Form" Blue Note Universal Japan UHQCD

My5qcGVn.jpeg

followed by

love this recording. So much fun. A performance was broadcast on TV in the days before videotape and so far no one has found a Kinescope and put it out–I’d love to see it.

Also Columbia/Sony had a 2 cd reissue planned and even advertised. . . that they ended up never releasing as the producer was let go from Columbia. A huge shame! I’d love to hear the extra material!

Duke Ellington “A Drum is a Woman” Columbia France cd.

98c2c256a919a991ee27204b0473a638c7ac5b96

European alternate cover.

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

Also Columbia/Sony had a 2 cd reissue planned and even advertised. . . that they ended up never releasing as the producer was let go from Columbia. A huge shame! I’d love to hear the extra material!

Duke Ellington “A Drum is a Woman” Columbia France cd.

98c2c256a919a991ee27204b0473a638c7ac5b96

Interesting.  I had no idea that there was more music from A Drum Is a Woman.   

That's a BIG bummer that Sony hasn't seen fit to release it.  Maybe some day?  Hopefully!?!