• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now on this excellent countrified jazz funk grinder from Alexandria Township 1975:

B37CF948-3563-4FAD-9EFB-5477BB1AD278.jpeg.9950d7b2a384c663b166eb3d853b8354.jpeg

Mike Makhalemele - The Peacemaker (Jo’Burg / Al Shams)

Ratau MM was the saxophonist with The Drive and played with Winston Mankunku Ngozi among others. No idea who the other players are on here, but I suspect Sipho Gumede is the bassist, just because it sounds like him.

Something I find so interesting about South African fusion from the era is that, whilst there is no obvious “traditional” influence, the music is still unmistakeably South African.  Something about how the keyboard vamps are allowed to lock in just that bit too long, whilst the bass is given a more free roaming ply melodic role than would be normal for an American record.

Easy streamer, for anyone who is interested. 

Edited by Rabshakeh

4 hours ago, soulpope said:

What a band .... happy 80th birthday Billy Harper ....

I saw this band one year later at Kongresshaus, if you remember that place (now there is a Billa Market) on Mariahilfer Gurtel. 

It was a fantastic concert. I liked that formation with Bridgwater, Harper , Reggie Workman much more than the later replacements Odean Pope and Calvin Hill. 

3 hours ago, BillF said:

I meant that the person in the photo doesn't look a bit like Hines. Agree?

He must have been very young when that photograph was taken. Look at his rich and full head of hair. 

Now on:

Jack Wilson – Plays Brazilian Mancini (Vault, 1965)

R-3410972-1383860622-1442.jpg.35dac476ff121bd9b7290cd4fefb7aab.jpg

Almost a George Shearing record...

28 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

I saw this band one year later at Kongresshaus, if you remember that place (now there is a Billa Market) on Mariahilfer Gurtel. 

It was a fantastic concert. I liked that formation with Bridgwater, Harper , Reggie Workman much more than the later replacements Odean Pope and Calvin Hill. 

Remember both place and concert 😁😇 ....

Perhaps an appropriately named June Christy album. (I’m actually listening to this on cd, the second half of the two-LPs-on-one-cd that is the Capitol cd “The Song is June.”)

June Christy “Offbeat”

Followed by

Count Basie “The Golden Years” disc 2 (of 4)
Pablo box set

I used to think later Basie was somewhat inferior. Silly man. I could not have been more wrong, as I have been discovering this decade.

3 hours ago, BillF said:

ab67616d0000b2730bbaee0416c639610a264203

Still one of my favourite guitarists. Some very good  recordings as a leader. But aside, from the outstanding trios with Chet Baker and NHOP in 1979 Doug recorded several exellent other albums as a sideman. Do you know for instance "Love & Pieace - the music of Horace Parlan" (Steeplechase) with Bob Rockwell? If not, give it a try.

Edited by Balladeer