• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, JohnS said:

51-tVg5GyBL._SY355_.jpg

I found the original lp tracks more enjoyable than expected. 

I too picked this up following its recent discussions here. The original album is better than fine but i'd certainly return to the bonus tracks first

14 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

R-12001106-1526331616-3658.jpeg.jpg

Worth the entry fee for the first track alone

I was in the audience for 2 or 3 of the tracks on this album (and fellow board member jazzscriven was probably there for all of them :)). Agree that the first track is a standout and the sound is surprisingly good, considering that these were not official recordings.

Edited by sidewinder

5 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I was in the audience for 2 or 3 of the tracks on this album (and fellow board member jazzscriven was probably there for all of them :)). Agree that the first track is a standout and the sound is surprisingly good, considering that these were not official recordings.

I thought I could hear your applause...

The longer tracks work best. It's a shame they didn't make it a double package and maintain more of the band playing on each piece to provide greater context for Gare's solos. Sounds fine for what this is, a fond memorial 

Yes, it would have been nice to hear longer band performances but given the remit, a fine tribute to Lou Gare I think. It was always good to see him on tenor in that band in tandem with Gary Bayley - more recent lineups have also had the excellent Alan Wakeman.

Must mention the forthcoming ‘Granite’ commission by the Westbrooks - being premiered in Ashburton, Devon in the near future. Jazzsciven actually commissioned it, so I guess he will be there ! :D

Edited by sidewinder