Post a pic

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bill Frisell at the Music Instrument Museum in Phoenix, 10/13/23

He finished his set with an acoustic version of "Pannonica", which was beautiful.  The MIM has Baroness Pannonica's Steinway Grand piano, that Thelonious Monk selected for her.  Bill was apparently fascinated getting to see the piano (and commented upon the cigarette burns still on the bench lol), and played this in response.  

As a side note - Monk composed 8 tunes on that piano, and Sonny Clark, Freddie Redd, and Barry Harris all composed tunes on that piano as well.  Others who played it include Lionel Hampton, Bud Powell, Teddy Wilson, Max Roach, Wynton Kelly, Sir Charles Thompson, Horace Silver, Mary-Lou Williams, and Tommy Flanagan. 

OqTsV9M.png

On 10/15/2023 at 9:29 PM, Aggie87 said:

Bill Frisell at the Music Instrument Museum in Phoenix, 10/13/23

He finished his set with an acoustic version of "Pannonica", which was beautiful.  The MIM has Baroness Pannonica's Steinway Grand piano, that Thelonious Monk selected for her.  Bill was apparently fascinated getting to see the piano (and commented upon the cigarette burns still on the bench lol), and played this in response.  

As a side note - Monk composed 8 tunes on that piano, and Sonny Clark, Freddie Redd, and Barry Harris all composed tunes on that piano as well.  Others who played it include Lionel Hampton, Bud Powell, Teddy Wilson, Max Roach, Wynton Kelly, Sir Charles Thompson, Horace Silver, Mary-Lou Williams, and Tommy Flanagan. 

OqTsV9M.png

Wonderful ! I mean what you write about it, how it happened. 

Yes, "Pannonica" seems to be a tune that guitar players like. Once I had to play with a guitar player and he also called "Pannonica". On the other hand, Monk himself I think did not include it in his regular set lists. 

Yes, Bud played on it and one evening, where first Barry Harris plays Bud tunes on it and then Bud plays a little was recorded on tape. 

Interesting thing about "composing from the piano". I have another "problem": I usually compose  just when a good idea comes to my mind. Then I might write it out for the guys who might play it, and when I finally want to play the them myself, I have my sweet time to "learn" it, since mostly I don´t consider more than comp and solo on it, but if someone likes to hear it before it is done on the soundcheck, I would be ashame if I couldn´t play it.