WWOD? (What Would Organissimites Do)

How should I deal with a realtor who's bad at acknowledging thanks?  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm occasionally in a position to "give" real estate listings to real estate agents. I have done this twice in the last year to one individual agent, and both properties sold, netting the agent (who ended working as both the buyers' agent and the sellers' agent in both transactions) a cool $50 thou in commission.

It's been two months since the last closing, and I haven't received so much as a telephone call of thanks. :angry:

Although I never expected quid pro quo referrals from this person, I did think it would be good to have an "in" with a well-respected real estate agency in town. Now I'm just pissed, not because I wanted another piece of paper expressing thanks or bottle of wine, but because of the principal of the thing.

I guess I'm "old school," having been brought up to issue thank you notes (and now occasionally emails) as a minimum response to a kind gesture.

I clearly will choose another referral source from now on; should I just let this go? Am I overreacting? Foisting my old world ideas about politeness upon a world in flux?

WWOD?

I've given lots of referrals to professionals in the past who rarely reciprocated. I got so used to it that I never bothered to dwell on it.

Those referrals of yours, Peter, amounted to some big commissions. I would simply cut off the referral relationship pronto. You could say something to her if you like, but I wouldn't bother. I'd just cut off the referrals.

If someone does not pay attention to the important but discretionary details like "thank yous" then I would question that person's devotion to other details as well.

It's a worrisome sign for sure.

If someone gave me a referral which resulted in a big sale, I'd take them out to dinner at least!

Give her the big boot! :angry:

Probably there is no bad intention in this anywhere. So I would not introduce it myself. Probably she just forgot, had a child/crisis/birthday/anniversary/busy week/death in the family, whatever. Just call her up and ask her how things went is my advice. She's bound to load the thanks on you and the apologies for not coming up with those herself. Maybe not, but it's worth a try, just for the positive worldview part of it.

Probably there is no bad intention in this anywhere. So I would not introduce it myself. Probably she just forgot, had a child/crisis/birthday/anniversary/busy week/death in the family, whatever. Just call her up and ask her how things went is my advice. She's bound to load the thanks on you and the apologies for not coming up with those herself. Maybe not, but it's worth a try, just for the positive worldview part of it.

I respectfully disagree, John.

When you are paid by commissions, it is imperative to reciprocate in either referrals or in terms of expressing your gratitude.

Sounds to me like the lady is a shit!

There are a lot of money-grubbing selfish people in commissioned sales positions.

Her actions do not speak highly of her. I would not send valued referrals over there at all.

I'm just glad you asked us what we thought you should do, rather than what we thought we would do. I was able to pick the "displeasure" idea rather than asking if we could substitute the word "rat" for "roses"...

Or a dead fish whose "fragrance" she would have to inhale preferrably on a hot day.

I think Conn has the best approach to this problem. This realtor made some very large cash on your referral. Any decent human being would at least say thank you quite profusely, and most would take you out to dinner, slip you an envelope with some cash, buy you a Mosaic set or six, etc. This ingrate did nothing. I would let bygones be bygones, but never refer anything to this person ever again. If this cheapskate should ever mention that nothing has come from you since these two transactions, THEN is the time to mention the parsimonious response politely but firmly.

If it was a friend, I wouldn't even expect a note. If it was an aquaintance or so, I'd just wait until the next time I bumped into 'em and then kid around a bit ('Hey, I heard you finally arm-twisted someone into buying that old clapboard firetrap!! Congrats!! Is my case of wine in the mail?....ha, ha, ha!'). They'll get the point.