What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Moon Safari (Reed9: Air: Amazon.es: CDs y vinilos}

One of the best examples of the French Sound. Whose main attraction was Daft Punk in the 90s, but there were also many more. Next year will be the 25 anniversary of the release of this one in 1998. And Air produced in 2005 or 6 555, the debut of Charlotte Gainsbourg, Serge and Jane Birkin's daughter. A very good album, by the way. Serge Gainsbourg being one of Air's big influences.

Edited by Bluesnik

Denny Zeitlin - The Name Of This Terrain (Now-Again Records). It's a bit weird but Denny's description interested me. The vocals are definitely the weakest link here (as he says).Denny's Facebook post:

Hi Everybody,
I feel a little strange about announcing a “new” album recorded in 1969 whose release I resisted for many years. There’s quite a story behind it:

Back in 1969, I was immersed in an electro-acoustic integration of jazz, rock, avant garde classical, funk, and free-form music. My long-time close friend, Bill Young, suggested we co-produce a project where I would write new music and lyrics, and my trio, with George Marsh and Mel Graves, would perform and sing the lyrics as a demo. Bill would try to interest a label in completing the album with professional singers, and supporting a tour. The project was completed in November,1969, and a custom run of demo LPs created, but no labels were interested, and my trio returned to instrumental explorations in concerts and recordings. “The Name Of This Terrain” remained on the shelf until 2003, when Bill Young’s death somehow led to a stack of demo LPs ending up in a thrift store, setting off a gradual low-level international buzz. I began receiving inquiries from fans, collectors, and record labels, wanting to hear, purchase, or release this album. I was taken aback at the prospect. Although I felt the music and lyrics were strong, none of us trio members had ever done any singing, and this demo album was never intended for release. I destroyed my copies, and for years successfully fended off inquiries. But every few years, Eothen Alapatt of Now-Again Records would circle back, enthusiastically proclaiming the album’s musical importance and the passion and emotional immediacy of the trio’s untrained vocal cords. In 2020, I was prompted to give the project a relisten, and to my surprise, was struck by the freshness of the concept, passion of performance, and spirit of adventure on the album, and felt “The Name Of This Terrain” was worthy of release, as long as the demo nature was made clear.

Thinking back on that recording session over 50 years ago, I remember how much fun it was. The rapport with George and Mel was terrific, and there was plenty room for improvisation amidst my complex tunes and arrangements. There are totally free sections, including an utterly wacky “Free Piece,” where we first recorded a free improvisation leaving a lot of space, and then, each getting a head phone feed of the music, free associated to phrases from a dozen books opened to random pages.

The instrumentation: Denny Zeitlin: Acoustic Piano, Hohner Clavinet, Farfisa Organ, Custom Sound Generating and Altering Devices, Tambourine, Melodica, African Thumb Piano, Lead Vocals; George Marsh: Drums, Percussion, Backing Vocals; Mel Graves: Acoustic Bass, Electric Bass, Custom Sound Generating Device, Backing Vocals

The album can be heard in its entirety on You Tube (ad free): www.dennyzeitlinterrain.com

And here’s link to a 10 page booklet with photos, lyrics, and liner notes: https://tinyurl.com/terrainbooklet

The street date for the LP and CD was May 6. If you’d like hard copy: https://tinyurl.com/2br4wvhe

I hope you’ll give this music a listen.

Denny Zeitlin - Name Of This Terrain - Amazon.com Music