This Thursday, February 11, two preserved episodes of Stars of Jazz, the award winning ABC TV series from 1956-1958, will be shown via a collaboration between the UCLA Film & Television Archive and Eventbrite. Registration for viewing is free.

Both episodes are from 1958 when the series enjoyed a brief stint on the national ABC schedule. Prior to April 1958 the series was viewable only to local Los Angeles television audiences.

Segments of both programs have been uploaded by fans to YouTube, but these are poor quality and do not do justice to the series. Both episodes feature restored sound.

May 19, 1958
The Lighthouse All Star regulars (in 1958):
Howard Rumsey (b), Frank Rosolino (tb), Bob Cooper (ts), Victor Feldman (p, vib, cga), and Stan Levey (d).
Special guests for this episode (former members of the All Stars): Shorty Rogers (flhrn) and Bud Shank (as).
Vocal segment: Julie London (vcl) - lip sync to Liberty Record recording 

October 6, 1958
The Max Roach Quintet:
Max Roach (d), Ray Draper (tu), George Coleman (ts), Booker Little (tp), and Art Davis (b).
Vocal segment: Mary Ann McCall (vcl), Lou Levy (p), Herb Ellis (g), Art Davis (b), and Max Roach (d).

Jim 

Very enjoyable--thanks much, James!  As jazztrain noted, great to see Booker Little (and George Coleman!  only musician still alive from both episodes that were shown, I think?)--also Mary McCall.  I liked the visual backdrops that the show used, too... all of this makes me want to dig deeper into James' book.  Bobby Troup "It's no coincidence that Julie London is on this show..."  :)    

I think I saw that Julie London clip of ‘Free and Easy’ at one of Mark Cantor’s film shows a fair number of years ago. Nice to be reminded of it again.

Just a shame that the soloists never have much time on these short shows to stretch out a bit. The Booker Little glimpses were priceless - George C. and Ray Draper too.

I have some questions, I guess for James Harrod.

1) Will we be able to watch the Max Roach segment again?

2) Better yet, will this ever be released commercially?

3) They play Minor Mode Blues, Scene Is Clean and Love For Sale. What is the opening and closing theme?

4) They were at Monterey just before that. Is there a recording? Many Monterey gigs were recorded...