AMG facelift

Hey, fix what's broke and don't fix what ain't.

It seems to me that what's been done is the *exact* opposite.

But they're on their own agenda - for example:

"One thing we’ve heard loud and clear from our users is that they want to hear what the AMG editors’ opinions are, what they’re listening to, what they recommend, etc."

Certainly never heard that from me, but then again, they haven't heard anything from me since I gave up trying to send in additions/corrections after they were consistently ignored.

Like the Lord Discography, these guys have bitten off much more than they are qualified to handle. They aren't concerned with being correct - this is apparent from the sloppy work they've been presenting for over a decade. Many of the people who could help them have become disgusted and won't now.

If you ask me, start small, do it right, then slowly increase your sphere. Try to cover ALL MUSIC and you are doomed to fail. I mean, it's right there in the name. (Ditto ALL ABOUT JAZZ.) Why the need to be ALL and EVERYTHING? I mean, even McDonald's started off with a single store.

You can search and find hundreds of examples of people saying that the allmusic is filled with errors. How about this one?

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,23025,00.asp

But like I said, they'd rather go along their own path and give the people who care what the allmusic editors (remind me what their qualifications are again) have to say, as opposed to getting the basic facts correct and complete.

Mike

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I'm being overly sensitive, but just to be sure - you're not referring to my site www.jazzdiscography.com - but rather to the Japanese www.jazzdisco.com site, right?

That's another example of over-extending. They've taken what's in the old, outdated, reference works and put it on the web. Very little in terms of active research. No adding of things that would make a discography better - track timings, composers, instrument specifics, etc.

Mike

Never was a great fan of the old AMG but now that I have seen the new version, I already miss it.

Some things don't change. Went to check Albert Ayler's file (it's Ayler's birthday today) and learned that Tommy Vig was listed as one of Ayler's followers. I must have missed something B)

I don´t like the new look at all... and man, I can´t see that improven functionalities anywhere!

:tdown

Ditto.

Seems less comprehensive now - and always times out too when doing a search. ;) Well, at least it's still free.

We apologize for the temporary connection delay.

Please click the refresh button on your browser.

Can it be true? This message comes over and over again. :angry:

I get the same message.

They're probably taking the whole thing back to the drawing board :o

I was so happy to see it was still free, but what was the point of changing everything, anyway???? I see they left Allmovie alone for the time being (They don't make mistakes with movies like they do with jazz albums) but I was having the same timeout problem there tonight as well! :angry:

A friend of mine who writes for AMG still says this is the first step towards a paid site... if so, not a very adroit one...

One of the features I really miss is the ability to view "sideman" dates. For example, I was checking out Greg Skaff, a guiatrist who has played with Bobby Watson. In the *old* AMG, you could see which albums of Bobby's he played on. I can't seem to find that here.

Perhaps this feature will re-emerge in the paid site ??? :rmad::rmad:

Edited by Eric