Japanese Jazz Revisited

Late

I don’t know anyone who is lukewarm on Takayanagi — you either think he’s brilliant or can’t stand his music. I’m obviously in the former camp. It took time and a lot of close listening to understand some of what he was up to, but the respect was always there even if I didn’t get it at first. 

There are multiple approaches at work across his discography. One is the Bauer/Tristano-inspired concept. Another is Mass Hysterism. Mass Projection and Gradual Projection are others, and then there’s Action Direct (which is loop-heavy and minimal). And I think there are a few more beyond those. Blank Forms put out a bunch of translated interviews that are a great read, very informative and very intense. The man certainly had opinions and was exacting with respect to how they were put out into the world.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

What is the film?

Apparently Good-bye Moscow (1968). Seems rather obscure.

https://trakt.tv/movies/good-bye-moscow-1968

I'd never heard of it until a Youtube algorithm suggested the above clip, and even then had to search.

There's a soundtrack album:

https://www.discogs.com/release/3394257-Various-さらばモスクワ愚連隊-Good-bye-Moscow-Original-Soundtrack

Edited by T.D.

Boy is this a smoking live date: Motohiko Hino Quartet + 1 (recorded 1976)!

Who is playing the first Billy Harper-ish tenor solo on the first track - is it Mabumi Yamaguchi or Yasuaki Shimizu (I'm not familiar with either)?

And Watanabe on guitar like an edgier version of Jerry Hahn.

Listening to it again - man..!

71bgSjGwBVL._AC_SL1378_.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2023 at 8:02 AM, Д.Д. said:

Just released: a new remastered reissue of Togashi - Takahashi - Lacy "Hall Egg Farm 2000":

https://www.discogs.com/release/28669684-富樫雅彦-Steve-Lacy-高橋悠治-富樫雅彦-Steve-Lacy-高橋悠治

71pW44usFbL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

61xnYqKwLtL._AC_SL1163_.jpg

This just arrived. Excellent and very well recorded (or remastered?), outstanding sound quality.

On 11/7/2023 at 9:07 PM, ghost of miles said:

Enjoying the latest in this series:

a1213584678_65

First listen currently. So far it seems a little too fusion-oriented for my taste.

Edited by T.D.

• 3 weeks later...

New BBE J-Jazz book (large format, premium price) announced for Mar. 2024

https://bbemusic.bandcamp.com/merch/early-bird-price-ends-08-12-24-j-jazz-free-and-modern-jazz-from-japan-1954-1988-pre-order-shipping-march-1st-2024

I'd consider this if there is significant text, but AFAICT it seems to be a book of album covers.

Edited by T.D.

17 minutes ago, T.D. said:

New BBE J-Jazz book (large format, premium price) announced for Mar. 2024

https://bbemusic.bandcamp.com/merch/early-bird-price-ends-08-12-24-j-jazz-free-and-modern-jazz-from-japan-1954-1988-pre-order-shipping-march-1st-2024

I'd consider this if there is significant text, but AFAICT it seems to be a book of album covers.

Looks very interesting. 

Hopefully, Dusty will stock it, since shipping is $38 from the UK to the US.   

3 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Looks very interesting. 

Hopefully, Dusty will stock it, since shipping is $38 from the UK to the US.   

I'm getting mixed signals from DG on this and other BBE items. The Waldron/Hino Reminiscent Suite recording and this book (thanks, Rooster) both show as "Coming Soon", but preorder is not available.

I really prefer the preorder option, because I can't count the number of times I've clicked on a DG "arrival notice" and been greeted with "Just Sold Out!" 😧

Just now, T.D. said:

I really prefer the preorder option, because I can't count the number of times I've clicked on a DG "arrival notice" and been greeted with "Just Sold Out!" 😧

Yeah, I've had the same experience.  Not sure why there's a pre-order option sometimes and not others.

13 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Not sure why there's a pre-order option sometimes and not others.

I assume that it’s because some of their sources can’t always guarantee 100% order fulfillment.  And (I’m guessing) that doesn’t mean some of their vendors end up completely having zero item-availability on certain titles — but, rather, that Dusty might order 10 copies of a title, but only get 6.

If a vendor has a history of superior fulfillment, then pre-orders would be allowed.  But (I imagine) some titles with limited availability might be a LOT more problematic to allow pre-orders of.

That’s ALL conjecture — every bit of it — but it just makes sense (which, of course, doesn’t guarantee it’s true).

Anyway, that’s my theory, and I’m sticking with it.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

2 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I’ll probably wait to hear some reviews before I made a decision — but I imagine it’s gonna be pretty damn tempting to get, I must confess.

I agree 100%.   It seems like there's relatively little info available (in English) on J-Jazz.   So I can scarcely imagine not taking the plunge on this book.

8 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Anyway, that’s my theory, and I’m sticking with it.

Makes sense to me.

• 2 months later...