Charles Mingus as Private Eye Jazz Composer

Teasing the Korean

4 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

These kinds of distinctions are not as cut and dried as some may believe.  If you believe that film music can't be "art," I would suggest that you spend some time with Jerry Goldsmith's Chinatown score.

Well, there's that...

I didn't say it can't be art, but it's nothing that really interests me, including the music of Chinatown. There's lots of types of art and pieces within types of art that don't interest me.

Edited by jazzbo

Or...

As long as we're talking about parallel universes... let's imagine one in which a business structure exists inside a culture that would even begin to consider employing the person of Charles Mingus as we know him...and one in which he would be enthusiastic about engaging.

This is the problem with the narrative of jazz changing to an all-inclusive, kumbaya world in which we all love Louis and everybody because really, we're all the same and because of that, their story is our story.

No we're not and no it's not.

Let's start there and then see what happens.

2 hours ago, sgcim said:

Cassavettes used Mingus for Shadows.That was about it AFAIK.

I think the Debut box includes some recordings Mingus prepared for Shadows -- "Nostalgia In Times Square", "Alice's Wonderland", "Self-Portrait In Three Colours" and an untitled percussion ramblings with flute.  The last one sounds like an early Sun Ra.  Mingus might be a terrific film score composer, but I guess he would have serious issues to meet deadlines...

Although it has already been completed, Bosch on Amazon Prime made good use of jazz, probably because the original author, Michael Connelly, is a jazz fan. I think it would have been good to use the Mingus music in this kind of noir detective drama with Titus Welliver as the main character.

I think there was a scene that a young black detective listens to the music playing in Bosch's car and says, "I like this. Who is this?" then Bosch (middle-aged white) said, "It's a guy named Sonny Rollins," which made me laugh quite a bit.

Edited by mhatta

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I didn't say it can't be art, but it's nothing that really interests me, including the music of Chinatown. There's lots of types of art and pieces within types of art that don't interest me.

It's a great big InterWebz.  You are cordially invited to participate in the threads that interest you, and to ignore the threads that don't interest you, like this one, obviously.

Anyway Mingus composed for Movie Scores: Todo Modo and Cumbia and Jazz Fusion. Todo Modo was never played live, but Cumbia was always anounced on stage as something "we just recorded, it´s from a Movie Score ....". When he played it live as we witnessed, the records still was not out. 

Maybe if he had lived longer, he might have done another music for a movie. In the late 70´s he had become very very popular and he was asked to compose for a ballet group (Pilobulus) and for Symphony with Jazz Sextet in Buenos Aires, where he had played in June. 

So, if he had not contracted that terminal desease, there would have been a lot of work for him besides touring....., 

The first person that told me about jazz music as a possible movie theme is my wife, when we saw the  Blue Note Label Documentary Film and when there was Miles´ "Weird Blues" she said it might be for some of those old police film series back then....

11 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Lord knows TTK does plenty of that.

If you can fin a thread in which I categorically dismiss a genre as "drivel," please post a link.  Of course, strictly speaking, film music is an application and not a genre.

14 hours ago, JSngry said:

Or...

As long as we're talking about parallel universes... let's imagine one in which a business structure exists inside a culture that would even begin to consider employing the person of Charles Mingus as we know him...and one in which he would be enthusiastic about engaging.

This is the problem with the narrative of jazz changing to an all-inclusive, kumbaya world in which we all love Louis and everybody because really, we're all the same and because of that, their story is our story.

No we're not and no it's not.

Let's start there and then see what happens.

Henry Mancini wrote about opening doors for Quincy Jones.  There was an assumption at the time that black composers should score "black" films.  They were reluctant to have him compose for strings, for example.  

At any rate, Duke did Anatomy of a Murder, and Count Basie wrote the theme to M Squad, so things were starting to change.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

6 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Yeah, "they". "They" are still here.

"They" are worse now, as things have become openly regressive in the US, at least in certain states.  But we are teetering into a topic that we're not supposed to discuss here, correct?

At any rate, I have only a few Mingus titles on CD, and I need to explore the LPs to find more examples of his private eye sound.

4 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

If you can fin a thread in which I categorically dismiss a genre as "drivel," please post a link.  

It was complaining that I stated you do plenty of.

I did not state all film music was drivel. But I do feel that in an alternate universe that Mingus became a film music composer what he wrote would not compare to what we have had from him in this universe outside the film industry.

Edited by jazzbo

36 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Sorry, I don't drink. ;) Seriously I don't, and I don't hang out among drinks and drinkers.

I won't hold that against you.  I will be happy to enjoy a tofu sandwich with you.  

But this begs the question: How did you get into jazz?  Don't jazz and drinks go together?

I got into jazz in part because my parents had jazz records in their collection, and in part because a Peace Corps volunteer my Dad directed in Swaziland as the first Director there gave me three Atlantic mono jazz LPs from a box Atlantic Records sent all volunteers of LPs. He didn't like them. They were Another Dimension, Blues Shout and Sister Salvation. I became obsessed with jazz when I returned to the US in rural Ohio and found Filles De Kilimanjaro and In a Silent Way at the library. American rock and pop didn't do much for me after five years in Africa. 

Honestly, I don't believe jazz and alcohol have to have much to do with each other. That said I was a normal young man who drank a little in my youth, but I saw both personally and professionally after that drink destroy the life of a close friend, and endanger the livelihood of coworkers, and I gave it up. Haven't missed it.

I don't eat tofu sandwiches. I live out in the country, across the road from a state wildlife preserve. I don't get around much any more other than to visit my father once or twice a week in hospice.

Edited by jazzbo