Monnette Sudler RIP

randyhersom

I saw her at the Ethical Society on Rittenhouse Square in the 70's, one of the great concerts Leo Gadson presented.  Forget who she opened for, may have been Juju or else Carlos Garnett.  Performances there were always good.  She could play, did a fair amount of singing at that concert, and was a very commanding presence.  I couldn't fully comprehend her at that point (I was about 21, she was in he early-mid 20's).  Agreed some of the Steeplechase music is really good.  RIP.  70 is young to pass.

Monnette Sudler, trailblazing guitarist and Philadelphia jazz luminary, has  died at 70 | WRTI

20 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Sad news. I still have her first two LPs, will give them a spin tomorrow.  Somehow she was a part of my way into jazz at the time.

R.I.P.

‘Brighter Day’s For You’ was recently reissued on 180g vinyl and I have been enjoying it of late.  It got very good reviews ‘back in the day’ and always regret not buying it at the time. Her LPs always seemed to be elusive over here though.