Lou Donaldson JazzTimes Interview

10 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

On point about Marsalis. Also good comment on the Leo Gooden record - read & subsequently listened to that album after a write up about it on Jazz Wax. 

Marsalis is a very eloquent speaker, so I can understand the appeal of getting him as a talking head.   Wish his recorded work of the last 35 years was less self-consicously "eloquent".

I wonder why they chose to play Binney's track "Solo" from "Third Occasion" instead of the title track? The album is streaming on bandcamp: https://davidbinney.bandcamp.com/album/third-occasion  I think the title track is pretty good. It's certainly not "free" and likely would not have gotten Lou all riled up.

I don´t care so much for all that stuff Lou Donaldson said on stage, and dissing Free Jazz and so, but as a player, he is  really a teacher. You listen to his phrasings, and very much of the stuff is really right so you don´t have to let him say all his stuff, you better listen or listened when learning, and find the answer in his playing. He got it all, the sound, the rhythmic approach, the phrasings, the knowledge of harmony and all.