New Coltrane

Hardbopjazz

Anyone know more about this?

from COLTRANE-L Digest

"Hearing about an imminent release of live Coltrane material from early or
mid 1961? A sextet with Dolphy, and two bassists.
Set list includes a performance of When Lights Are Low with Eric playing
the melody. Other tunes include Africa, Greensleeves, Impressions. Tapes
turned up at the NY Public Library…."
>
"George Schuller mentioned this upcoming spring release on a Zoom call
yesterday.  It is from the Village Gate."

I'm on the Eric Dolphy group & this has been discussed over the past week

Ted Brinkley "Hearing about an imminent release of live Coltrane material from early or mid 1961? A sextet with Dolphy, and two bassists.
Set list includes a performance of When Lights Are Low with Eric playing the melody. Other tunes include Africa, Greensleeves, Impressions. 
  Tapes turned up at the NY Public Library….if someone here knows more, please fill in or correct details!"

Ted Brinkley "I’m told that it’s from the Village Gate later that summer, a single microphone recording by Richard Alderson (who lent the tapes to someone, never to retrieve them? When that person passed away their archives were donated to the New York Public Library, and eventually discovered.)"

I found more related info in Wild (The John Coltrane Reference", p 226)
Eric Dolphy joined the group for the last weekend of the gig (Village Gate: July 21-23, 1961). Dolphy had closed at the Five Spot with Booker Little on July 16, 1961.
Although there are at least three reviews of the July 1961 Village Gate gig and none mentions Dolphy, it appears that all the reviewers were at the club during the first week of the gig, not the last weekend, so they would have missed Dolphy.”
The complete dates of the Village Gate gig were July 11-23, 1961.

46 minutes ago, romualdo said:

Ted Brinkley "I’m told that it’s from the Village Gate later that summer, a single microphone recording by Richard Alderson (who lent the tapes to someone, never to retrieve them? When that person passed away their archives were donated to the New York Public Library, and eventually discovered.)"

That's incredibly lucky to not have gotten pitched in a landfill, and then ultimately discovered in the public library archive.  Hopefully in at least decent sound.

1 hour ago, colinmce said:

A friend had this confirmed by one of the producers a few months back. My assumption is it will be LP and CD just like Blue World, Both Directions At Once, and Live In Seattle. There is also an Alice/Pharoah live tape project being assembled. 

So it will actually be on Impulse?  That's very good news.