Sonny Stitt: Jazz at The Hi-Hat

Late

37 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

The Hi-Hat was in Boston, no?

Yes - Boston.

If you enjoy these sessions, try to get your hands on the 2 CD reissues: https://www.discogs.com/release/11562979-Sonny-Stitt-Jazz-At-The-Hi-Hat & https://www.discogs.com/release/10061005-Sonny-Stitt-Live-at-the-Hi-Hat-Vol-2-. I think Malcolm Addey cleaned these recordings up very nicely and both volumes have 20 previously unreleased songs.

Secondary, 2 of 4

Secondary, 2 of 3

Edited by bresna

Whoops—it clearly says Boston on the liners. I was still in my Gene Ammons Chicago mode. 🙃

Fans of the music?

To me, Volume One in particular presents Stitt in one of his most non-auto pilot appearances. It's like he's taking pieces of the bop vocabulary and finding new ways to fit them together.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

What is woefully missing is any live recoding's of the Ammons/Stitt road band of the early 50s.

Fingers crossed that, some day, sound recordings will be unearthed. The Jazz Detective needs to get on it.

17 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Somewhat related photo, though undated. Possibly at the Hollywood Bowl, and taken by Marcel Fleiss. Ammons on tenor and Stitt on Bari, in between Gene and Ella.

ella-stitt-ammons.jpg

Love it. Thanks for sharing that image! 👍 I've been on an Ammons/Stitt binge lately.

1 hour ago, Late said:

Fingers crossed that, some day, sound recordings will be unearthed. The Jazz Detective needs to get on it.

Love it. Thanks for sharing that image! 👍 I've been on an Ammons/Stitt binge lately.

Ammons/Stiit or just Sonny too.  If just Sonny have you listened to the DJ Lounge?

On 2/22/2023 at 9:18 PM, bresna said:

Yes - Boston.

If you enjoy these sessions, try to get your hands on the 2 CD reissues: https://www.discogs.com/release/11562979-Sonny-Stitt-Jazz-At-The-Hi-Hat & https://www.discogs.com/release/10061005-Sonny-Stitt-Live-at-the-Hi-Hat-Vol-2-. I think Malcolm Addey cleaned these recordings up very nicely and both volumes have 20 previously unreleased songs.

Secondary, 2 of 4

Secondary, 2 of 3

Is it possible that the bass player and drummer are the same like on some "Bird at the Hi-Hat" from the same time ? 

21 hours ago, Brad said:

If just Sonny, have you listened to the DJ Lounge?

This one?

MS02MTMxLmpwZWc.jpeg

I haven't heard this one. I need to! According to Discogs, it looks like it was only on compact disc once—2002, in Japan. Was there another reissue perhaps?

Edited by Late
caffeine

16 minutes ago, Late said:

This one?

MS02MTMxLmpwZWc.jpeg

I haven't heard this one. I need to! According to Discogs, it looks like it was only on compact disc once—2002, in Japan. Was there another reissue perhaps?

Yes, this one. As far as I know it was reissued only that once. I used to have the record but can’t find it. 

9 hours ago, Brad said:

Have you heard this one, a 1981 performance at the Keystone with Richie Cole, John Handy, Cedar Walton, Bobby Hutcherson, Herbie Lewis and Billy Higgins. It’s darn good. 

F31FB3E0-3BC7-4A5D-BD03-41B8EF6D489D.jpeg

No, I haven't heard it. It officially goes down on "the list." 👍