Sonny Stitt "Boppin`At Baltimore" (Jazz Detective)

soulpope

Screenshot-2023-02-24-091055.jpg

„Boppin’ in Baltimore: Live at the Left Bank“ by saxophone master Sonny Stitt issued on Jazz Detective label (in partnership with Elelememtal Music). „Boppin’ In Baltimore“ is a previously unissued recording captured live at the Famous Ballroom in Baltimore, MD on November 11, 1973, for the Left Bank Jazz Society. Recorded by Left Bank co-founder Vernon Welsh, „Boppin’ In Baltimore“ is an official release in cooperation with the Sonny Stitt Estate and features an all-star rhythm section of Kenny Barron, Sam Jones and Louis Hayes.

The deluxe limited-edition 180-gram 2-LP set (*deluxe 2-CD set available April 28)

12 minutes ago, Late said:

I'm interested—but a label called "Jazz Detective"? Ouch.

We need the following labels first—"Jazz Receptionist," "Jazz Administrative Assistant," and "Jazz Registrar." Then I'd be more willing to make a purchase from "Jazz Detective."

:)

Zev already started the label with the Ahmad Jamal release from the Penthouse, and has another coming up in April too: archival Chet Baker in Holland (can't stand his vocals so that's a hard pass from me.)

I wonder how it came to be Jazz Detective's release ... is the quality not great and Cory Weeds didn't want it on his label? In the end, I'll take all of these releases even if I don't grab them right away because that ought to mean more goodies in November, right? Maybe this flood of Left Bank recordings will become a deluge.

Edited by Dan Gould

2 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Were you not aware that is the nickname claimed by Zev of Resonance/BN/Reel to Real fame?

Oh yes, I'm aware. I just think it's kind of funny that Mr. Feldman is a self-proclaimed detective. I'm certainly grateful for the work he's done (Bill Evans, Sonny Rollins, Jimmy Giuffre archival releases in particular), but something about calling himself a "detective"—if only he shot his promo videos in high contrast monochrome with a fedora and trench coat...then I'd be more convinced! 🙃

28 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Maybe this flood of Left Bank recordings will become a deluge.

Yes! 👍

50 minutes ago, Late said:

I'm interested—but a label called "Jazz Detective"? Ouch.

We need the following labels first—"Jazz Receptionist," "Jazz Administrative Assistant," and "Jazz Registrar." Then I'd be more willing to make a purchase from "Jazz Detective."

and "Jazz Hangover".

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Brad said:

I heard it at the beginning. Is it possible it’s a tape issue. 

I hear it on the head in and the head out, and it also seems there are two different sax solos one after the other. I doubt it is Sonny taking a breather in middle of his solo.

Tape bleed is an interesting theory. I will listen again with that in mind, but it would not explain two sax solos back to back.

33 minutes ago, bertrand said:

I hear it on the head in and the head out, and it also seems there are two different sax solos one after the other. I doubt it is Sonny taking a breather in middle of his solo.

Tape bleed is an interesting theory. I will listen again with that in mind, but it would not explain two sax solos back to back.

It's not the dreaded Varitone is it? I don't have the album so can't check.

2 hours ago, bertrand said:

A case for the jazz detective... 

3 hours ago, bertrand said:

I heard it in the out choruses too. Weird. 

2 hours ago, jlhoots said:

It's not the dreaded Varitone is it? I don't have the album so can't check.

No, he’s not using that. 

I fell asleep and missed the part where he makes announcements. Does he mention a guest?

I think there is another sax sitting in on Stella and possibly the blues before that. Perhaps Mickey Fields?

Does Blumenthal address this in his notes? I know he goes through the alto/tenor breakdown. Personnel listing only mentions alto. Oops.

1 hour ago, bertrand said:

I fell asleep and missed the part where he makes announcements. Does he mention a guest?

I think there is another sax sitting in on Stella and possibly the blues before that. Perhaps Mickey Fields?

Does Blumenthal address this in his notes? I know he goes through the alto/tenor breakdown. Personnel listing only mentions alto. Oops.

There is nothing in the booklet about it which, by the way, is a very nice booklet. Bob Blumenthal says that, apart from playing Stella on the varitone, this is the only time he played it on tenor. 

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely two saxes present on both "A Different Blues" and "Stella By Starlight" - if it were tape print through, it would be just about the most amazing instance of Kairos ever witnessed (on tape, that is 😉)

On "Different Blues" the switch between soloists is around 2:59/3:00, pretty seamless; in "Stella By Starlight" it's clear in the opening theme that there are two players present, change of soloists is relaxed here, the first one ends around 4:11, the second begins around 4:16, and when they re-enter for the closing theme at 11:30 its very clear there's two again.

Both tracks (and all others but "Deuces Wild", which shows Stitt in a most Prez-ian mood, reminding me of Paul Quinichette quite a bit) can be streamed here:
https://sonny-stitt.bandcamp.com/album/boppin-in-baltimore-live-at-the-left-bank

The band intro is a few bars into "The Theme" - Stitt forgets the pianist's name, but then gives his own (after someone probably reminded him off-mic how the piano player is called).

As for Mickey Fields, that doesn't quite seem to match from what little I know of his ... i.e. this wonderful take on "Lover Man" sounds so much more muscular in more of a big-tone line (Hawkins, Griffin, what do I know) than what can be heard on the new release:

Some more - undated and bad quality mash-ups, but quite amazing (including a bit of flute on the first - that segment is "Angel Eyes", right?), shared by Fields' son - nice also to actually see people dancing. Not sure of the other tunes heard, though I think I know them all ... second one has "Harlem Nocturne" in as first part:

And one final one in better quality but much shorter (dated mid-80s):

43 minutes ago, JSngry said:

The liner note words from Charles McPherson are very wonderful imo. 

I don't have the set so haven't read what Charles has to say, but he's so smart and hyper-articulate about the music and those who make it. I learn something every time I talk to him. 

It's on Discogs, inside the cover images.

As far as that second tenor, based on the voice of the player on that "Lover Man" up yonder, I'll go with Mickey Fields, final answer.

For now. 

20 minutes ago, Mark Stryker said:

20 minutes ago, Mark Stryker said:

I don't have the set so haven't read what Charles has to say, but he's so smart and hyper-articulate about the music and those who make it. I learn something every time I talk to him. 

He tells what Lou Donaldson said about Stitt, and it reveals more about all of that and what the impact of it was that, like.. wow, end of story, critics never said this ever, this is truth, simple truth.

I hope that somebody sits down and let's Charles McPherson talk for as long as it takes. And puts it in a record - all of it. 

41 minutes ago, JSngry said:

He tells what Lou Donaldson said about Stitt, and it reveals more about all of that and what the impact of it was that, like.. wow, end of story, critics never said this ever, this is truth, simple truth.

I hope that somebody sits down and let's Charles McPherson talk for as long as it takes. And puts it in a record - all of it. 

Thanks.  Read them on Discogs. Yeah, Charles! I've had this conversation with him about Stitt before, but he also says some stuff in these notes that was new to me. Great stuff.