RIP Edward "Kidd" Jordan (1935-2023)

colinmce

51 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I had not realised he was still alive. RIP. 

Me neither. He was great. He was an original voice with a deep emotional kind of playing I liked very much. Rest in peace Mr Jordan 

Terrible news. I don't much care for the term "underrated," as it tends to serve as shorthand for "something I get and other people do not." If any free jazz saxophonist deserved that honorific, however, it was Kidd. 

Like Frank Wright or early Frank Lowe, Kidd was an energy improviser. There's a through-line in that continuum that is, obviously, based in R&B and the blues. At the same time, Kidd had such a singular preoccupation with his altissimo register that you could hear multitudes in it. His smears of sound assumed a structural quality that was really remarkable, especially in extended contexts. Outside of Cecil and a handful of others, I can't think of many improvisers who more completely inhabited the intersection of physical stamina and intuitive constructivism. 

One of the most memorable concerts I ever witnessed was up at Guelph. Kidd was joined by Joel Futterman and Alvin Fielder. As the evening wound down, someone draped a cape over Kidd's shoulders, ala James Brown. In hilariously studied fashion, Kidd whipped around, saxophone in hands, and proceeded to dash around the room. Just bananas. My Mom was in attendance with me and - God bless her - she couldn't stop raving about it. 

He was almost 88

my old friend shrugs just asked did you hear about Kidd?

Last seen well below his peak but very moving and wondrous as always on 5/23/2018 @ Vision Fest in Brooklyn 

not sure of the date but jah tells me it was year 2001. not sure of the the actual room but again it was Vision Fest and it was certainly “downtown” 

they never let these dudes uptown. uptown never deserved the likes of Fred Anderson & Edward “Kidd” Jordan

But I was there!! Thanks to grace & mercy somehow I witnessed that set. When I heard it was happening I must have been in heaven. I was still new to this new music. Fred Anderson was in the throes of being known & the internet was new an Alive. I had found out about Hamid Drake and of course my friend “Dark Anthony” saw William Parker once on the street with his bass and exclaimed “The King of New York!!!!” 

so we knew it would be the greatest bass/drums tandem that exists in modern day free jazz with the 2 legendary tenors born in 1929 & 1935. Wowza. Lordy Lordy.

I know that the seminal legendary and even mystical 2 CD set 2 days in april had been released on eremite documenting the 4/1 & 4/1999 concerts with the same quartet with Fred Anderson, Kidd with William & Hamid on bass & drums. 

So the actual show - the ONLY time I’ve see that very learned and “sophisticated” audience moved to or near hysteria. Literal Dancing in the Aisles. Never heard or experienced a groove so deep / all because of Fred & Kidd. 

Ulrich is weeping today

RIP, sir

Edited by Steve Reynolds

Kidd was great -- a kind man, generous spirit, and hell of a saxophone player.

I saw him play many times in New York, Chicago, and Texas. One Texas situation also involved Kidd leading workshops with a class of children (maybe junior high?) and I watched him explore scales with the students and talk about developing sound through practice and rigor. He was very much no-bullshit, like, I couldn't imagine any youngsters getting away with inappropriate behavior, but he was obviously a great teacher.

And then of course he proceeded to blow the roof off that night in Houston.

RIP Kidd, and thank you.