BFT 230 is live!

mjzee

May is here, and May's BFT is too!  16 tracks, 75 minutes total, sure to stump and please.  Performers should be familiar to dedicated Organissimites, but perhaps not some of the tracks.  I hope you enjoy.  Have at it!

https://thomkeith.net/index.php/blindfold-tests/

(randyhersom's spoiler space, reproduced under license, follows:)

Track 2: "It's the Talk of the Town". Listening to a version by Jug, but this isn't him.

Track 4: "I've Got you Under My Skin". Does that piano need tuning!

Track 5: !2 bar blues. I thought at first we were into Monk's "Misterioso", but of course we weren't.

Track 8: A tune I know so well, but can I name it? No way!

Track 9: 12 bar blues again.

Edited by BillF

BFT 230

1 – Amazing Grace.  Not bagpipes, but consciously that effect.  Love and fully subscribe to the lyrics of the song, but this cut is musically outside my listening domain.

2 – One of the old tenor masters?  “Ain’t Misbehavin’” I believe, but I tend to mix up some of the old standards.  Historically significant and so well done, but I don’t  pull this sort of thing out to play.   But it is really good.

3 – Outside my listening domain, totally lost on me.

4 – “I’ve Got You Under My Skin”.  Good version.  Style is unmistakable.  Last cut on this .

5 – Stylistically similar to #5, and I’m in.  Monk’s “Mysterioso”.  Can’t ID the pianist.

6 – I like this one a lot!  Good flow with 4 and 5, though this is clearly later vintage.

7 – Also really like this one.   Kenny Burrell on guitar?  His album?

8 – “Tin Tin Deo”.  Into an Afro-Cuban groove section following the piano groove section.  Don’t think it’s actually Dizzy, but guessing it’s Jon Faddis in a Dizzy-memorial type of group recorded live.   Sure sounds like Bobby Hutcherson on marimba, but this is not the ‘Ambos Mundos’ version of the tune.  Guessing 80’s vintage.  Whatever it is, I am enjoying it.

9 – Nice enough boppish piece.

10 – Swing to bop transitional type of piece.  I like it plenty, even though not quite in my wheelhouse.   John Hardee?  I know I like his playing/records, and that could well be Tiny Grimes on guitar.

11 – Good solid B3 jazz.  Late 50’s/early 60’s?

12 – Utterly in my wheelhouse!  Need to own this if I don’t already, but I’d certainly think I do.  Assume it’s a big-time second tier tenor player.  Comping/solo sounds like Blue Note Sideman style McCoy Tyner.

13 – “The Very Thought of You”.  Another good tenor player.  At first I thought it was an older style guy, but as solo developed, I can see it’s a newer guy (my dividing line is always Coltrane/Rollins).  What’s not to like?  Though I do think his technique is maybe more developed than his feel.   But it’s good.

14 – I like this one.  Not sure on the tenor player.  Cedar Walton-ish piano, somebody who already heard McCoy Tyner with Trane.  Bowed bass dates it some – Paul Chambers?  Pianist style too late for bassist to be Doug Watkins.  Another one that I’d be pretty certain I own already.  If not, I’ll look to fix that.

15 – Charming, for sure.  Not a powerhouse singer, but expressive in that Blossom Dearie kind of way.

16 - Outside my listening domain.

Thanks for the BFT, lots of good sounds!  #4 is already on my shelves, and I’d be interested in adding 5,6,7,8,10,11,12, 14 if they aren’t already there, which is an extraordinarily high “like” rate for me.

Edited by felser

1 - Amazing Grace. Sounds like bagpipes. Nice to hear this instrumental version as it brings out why this song has become special in American musical vernacular. I'm not a fan of the overuse of its truncated form in just about every public quasi-spiritual setting these days but this rendering works. No guesses though. 

2 - Familiar tune and playing but no guesses. Probably master musicians involved but the song got a bit long in the tooth after 3 mins or so. 

3 - I dig the solo in the intro but the orchestration is a bit maudlin. Only guess is that the tune is a standard. 

4 - no guesses

5 - Familiar tune, no guesses. 

6 - Enjoyable bass-led tune but no guesses. 

7 - The guitar makes it but the sax player is nice as well. I like the space they used in this song. 

8 - Bass sounds like it's from this 70s. Nice track. Big-bandish with a marimba(?) & live - no guesses but intrigued as to who this is. 

9 - Sound reminds me of Bee Hive a bit. Horns are dry, groove is good. Nice song. 

10 - Terrible sound but a great tune. 40s recording maybe? 

11 - R&B vibe here and I like the organ. Yeah, this is a fun one. Bass player here instead of B3 bass correct? If so, I'll guess either Scott or McDuff. Sax is the star though. Guitar is rather forgettable. 

12 - Booker Ervin? I dig the bass player here. 

13 - Sax player is all over that horn. Decent song. No guesses though. 

14 - Drums are hilariously bad in terms of recording. Awesome. Song is familiar...Bass solo is in there too. 

15 - No guesses here either. Singer has a good voice though. 

Thanks for this BFT. Some familiar songs that I've either heard before or that I actually have the album of. My guessing game is totally off today though. Not that it's ever really good mind you. Looking forward to revisiting this one. 

1.  Amazing Grace with bowed bass, drums and high woodwinds imitating a traditional bagpipes rendition.  Vinyl source.  Very striking.  It can't actually be Rufus Harley, can it?
2.  Ain't Misbehavin' with a Ben Webster feel.
3.  Bone with strings and orchestral woodwinds. Melody similar to In a Sentimental Mood, but also calls up Body and Soul and My One and Only Love.  J. J. Johnson?
4.  Red Garland comes to mind.
5.  Monk's Misterioso, also could be Red Garland.
6.  Straight ahead piano with electric bass.  Mary Lou Williams?  Zoning?  The other thought I had was the Brian Melvin trio with Jaco.
7.  Latin percussion, nice groove.  Stylistically, more retro than I would expect from Jerry Gonzalez.  Not as retro as I would expect from Clare Fischer.  I'll try Clare Fischer anyway.
8.  Big band with marimba.  Live recording.  Maria Schneider?
9.  Twisty theme.  Tenor, alto and bone front line.  Slide Hampton?
10.  Illinois Jacquet?
11.  Shirley Scott with Lockjaw?
12.  Dexter Gordon?
13.  Stanley Turrentine?
14.  On a Clear Day, but not quite.  If it's an alto that sounds like a tenor,that makes me think Jackie McLean.
15.  Rosemary Clooney?  Sounds like celeste.
16.  Ahmad Jamal?

...  Sure hate missing a Randy Weston.  Well done, Felser.

Wow - great responses for the first day!

12 hours ago, felser said:

2 – One of the old tenor masters? 

I was caught up short by this description, but the more I think about it...yes, one of the old tenor masters.

4 – “I’ve Got You Under My Skin”.  Good version.  Style is unmistakable.  Last cut on this .

Correct!

5 – Stylistically similar to #5, and I’m in.  Monk’s “Mysterioso”.  Can’t ID the pianist.

Believe it or not, the tune is not called Misterioso and Monk is not given writer's credit.  I'd ask for a paternity test.

7 – Also really like this one.   Kenny Burrell on guitar?  His album?

Not Kenny.

8 – “Tin Tin Deo”.  Into an Afro-Cuban groove section following the piano groove section.  Don’t think it’s actually Dizzy, but guessing it’s Jon Faddis in a Dizzy-memorial type of group recorded live.   Sure sounds like Bobby Hutcherson on marimba, but this is not the ‘Ambos Mundos’ version of the tune.  Guessing 80’s vintage.  Whatever it is, I am enjoying it.

You are correct about Bobby Hutcherson!  Incorrect about everything else.

10 – Swing to bop transitional type of piece.  I like it plenty, even though not quite in my wheelhouse.   John Hardee?  I know I like his playing/records, and that could well be Tiny Grimes on guitar.

Nope, nope.

10 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

11 - R&B vibe here and I like the organ. Yeah, this is a fun one. Bass player here instead of B3 bass correct? If so, I'll guess either Scott or McDuff. Sax is the star though. Guitar is rather forgettable. 

There is a bass player (a very good one, too), but not Scott or McDuff.

12 - Booker Ervin? I dig the bass player here. 

Not Booker.

1 hour ago, randyhersom said:

1.  Amazing Grace with bowed bass, drums and high woodwinds imitating a traditional bagpipes rendition.  Vinyl source.  Very striking.  It can't actually be Rufus Harley, can it?

Not Rufus.

3.  Bone with strings and orchestral woodwinds. Melody similar to In a Sentimental Mood, but also calls up Body and Soul and My One and Only Love.  J. J. Johnson?

Not J.J.

4.  Red Garland comes to mind.
5.  Monk's Misterioso, also could be Red Garland.

Neither is Red.

6.  Straight ahead piano with electric bass.  Mary Lou Williams?  Zoning?

Correct!

All the rest (7-16) are no's.

• 2 weeks later...

Have had a listen to the first 7 tracks. Some really nice stuff..

1. ‘Amazing Grace’ soprano duet/overdub plus arch bass. Paul Dunmall on soprano?

2. David ‘Fathead’ Newman plus piano (Junior Mance?) ‘Making Whoopee’?

3, Bob Brookmeyer with strings? Maybe from one of those 80s albums recorded with Scandinavian musicians?

4. ‘I’ve Got You Under My Skin’. Iffy tuned piano, sounds Monkish in places. Sir Roland Hannah?

5. Mambo bluesy piece. Cal Tjader Trio plus congas from the 50s/60s perhaps?

6. 80s/90s sound to this one with gloopy bass. The piano sound reminds me of Geri Allen. One of her early Blue Note releases?

7. Julius Watkins Sextet Vol 1 on Blue Note with Frank Foster on tenor. I think this is the first track on the 10” LP - ‘Linda Delia’.

Well we all know I am only good at compiling BFTs, not reacting to others but I will throw out two guesses:

11 - Red Holloway.

13 - Scott Hamilton.

Otherwise, I really enjoyed #2, and in general, things perked up for me starting with #8 and continuing until the girl singer kinda stopped it dead in its tracks. (I did like 4-6 as well.)

I have this nagging feeling that 9 and 11 and maybe 14 are more recent, adept efforts to recreate an era by musicians I don't know. 

Overall, an enjoyable break in the work day and I hope you get some more action on this one.

Edited by Dan Gould

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

2. David ‘Fathead’ Newman plus piano (Junior Mance?) ‘Making Whoopee’?

It is Fathead, but not Mance.  The pianist may surprise you.

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

3, Bob Brookmeyer with strings? Maybe from one of those 80s albums recorded with Scandinavian musicians?

Correct!

4 hours ago, sidewinder said:

6. 80s/90s sound to this one with gloopy bass. The piano sound reminds me of Geri Allen. One of her early Blue Note releases?

Not Geri Allen.  Actually recorded in 1974.

4 hours ago, sidewinder said:

7. Julius Watkins Sextet Vol 1 on Blue Note with Frank Foster on tenor. I think this is the first track on the 10” LP - ‘Linda Delia’.

Correct on all counts!

Track 8 could be the last track on this one

Helluva line up if so. 

Track 6, is it Mal Waldron? 

Track 10 should be obvious to some folks here. I can't put my finger on it. Jacquet was a good guess but that's not it. Arnett Cobb? 

Track 11, is it Fred Jackson? YES it is. Song 12 from this 

Ah, and I have Track 12 as well. This one song # 9

Track 14, is that Art Pepper? 

Edited by Dub Modal

90% of this was right in the happy zone. 

Track 01 - I’ll never not think of the Scottish kid in a college music class, please read with the appropriate accent: “When Dean Hage was here, he talked about how his wife always cries when she hears Amazing Grace on the bagpipes.  I cry too, but it’s not ‘cause I like ‘em.”  This was very cool.  No idea who it is.  

Track 02 - Makin’ Whoopee, sure sounds like Fathead.  A little sleuthing shows me nothing, but those triplets surrounding the note have me feeling pretty confident that it’s David.  Could certainly be Ray on piano.  

Track 03 - Someone to Watch Over Me, but not sure whose eyes they are.  Pleasant enough, not sure I’d spin it on the regular.

Track 04 - I’ve got this under my skin in the first 30 seconds.  I wouldn’t think of doing this song this way, but it certainly works.  Sounds like an upright piano to me.  That could be a clue, but alas, it is not (for me).  

Track 05 - Interesting.  There was something decidedly Monkish about the previous cut, and here is Misterioso, no?  A neat crossover.  No clue who we are dealing with.  Also, are they just blending Misterioso with another tune? (and/or just borrowing the theme)

Track 06 - This whole song went by without my realizing it as I was looking at printer inks.  On second play, I know why.  First, electric bass.  Second, just doesn’t feel like it goes anywhere.  Too obtrusive for background music, but doesn’t really grab my attention for listening.  

Track 07 - No idea, but I like.  Harmony is similar to My Heart Belongs To Daddy and something else, but my brain is not cooperating.  I know that tenor.  Perhaps Harold Land?  I really want to hear the percussion cut loose, otherwise, completely digging this.

Track 08 - If I *don’t* have this, I should. Tin Tin Deo, but who?  Marimba that could be Bobby.  I don’t think this is Dizzy, but I’ll wait for the solo to commit to that idea.  Hmm… not Bobby.  Difficult to ID tenor with the bad sound, but the lines could certainly be Getz.  Could be Dizzy, but can’t tell from this.

Track 09 - Busy arrangement.  Maybe Teddy Edwards on tenor?  I think so.  Trombone doesn’t quite fit in with what the rhythm section is doing, or vice versa.  Alto doesn’t work for me.  Seems like a blues guy playing jazz.  Worth it for the tenor, but otherwise kind of misses for me.

Track 10 - No idea, but this growler swings his ass off.  Feel over technique — I’ll take that all day long.

Track 11 - I’ll get none of these people, I can only say who it’s not.  But I’ll take an extra helping of this.  

Track 12 - So, definitely Wayne.  Sounds like Andrew Hill to me on piano, but less so in the solo (so maybe it’s just that Blue Note thing).  Combing through my Shorter collection, I’m not finding it.  So, either obscure Wayne as leader or as a sideman getting the spotlight.

Track 13 - The Very Thought of You.  A mellow-toned tenor… not one I’m overly familiar with. Nothing ground-breaking, but quite enjoyable.  Love the piano.  Something almost Buck Hill-ish about the tenor, but think this player might be a notch or two on the plus side of Buck (pretty good neighborhood!).  Descending pattern at about 4:20 seems VERY identifying, but I can’t pull out a name.    

Track 14 - On A Clear Day I can see Eddie Harris’ house.  Not Eddie, but a very thin toned… sounds like an alto.  I think I’d enjoy this more if it wasn’t recorded on a Fisher-Price sound board.  Chops to spare.  No guesses.

Track 15 - Sounds like the bands that did the MMO series way back.  Very enjoyable cut.  Not sure on the singer.

Track 16 - Reminds me of an Ellington tune (from youth), but can’t say what it is.  Again, enjoying it thoroughly.

So basically, ID’d next-to-nothing, but enjoyed the ride.  

I'll edit my post as I go along.

1. Amazing Grace, I imagine It's either a prologue or an epilogue to some conceptual project, because it did absolutely nothing to me as just a piece of music. Maybe by one of avant-garde groups?

2. This is a big name tenor player and the group, not a current imitator. I'd say it's from mid 1970s-1980s. Very competent tenor and piano.

3. Someone to Watch over Me, valve trombone. Must be Brookmeyer. Excellent sympho-jazz arrangement. Love it.

On 5/10/2023 at 5:33 PM, JSngry said:

Ray Charles. A cult classic! 

Correct!

11 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

Track 8 could be the last track on this one

Helluva line up if so. 

Correct!  The line up is even better than as Discogs reports: Stan Getz, ts; Hubert Laws, flute; Woody Shaw, tp; Arthur Blythe, as; Dexter Gordon, Jimmy Heath, ts; Bobby Hutcherson, marimba; Cedar Walton, p, arr; Percy Heath, b; Tony Williams, d; Willie Bobo, perc.  Havana, Cuba, 3/3/79.

Track 11, is it Fred Jackson? YES it is. Song 12 from this 

Correct!  Always good to throw some Blue Note tracks into a BFT.

Ah, and I have Track 12 as well. This one song # 9

Correct again!

10 hours ago, tkeith said:

Track 09 - Busy arrangement.  Maybe Teddy Edwards on tenor?

It is Teddy Edwards on tenor; not his date, though.

Track 15 is the Ball and Chain from this album

Correct!

Great sleuthing and comments from all.  Keep 'em coming!

On 5/12/2023 at 12:01 PM, tkeith said:

Track 06 - This whole song went by without my realizing it as I was looking at printer inks.  On second play, I know why.  First, electric bass.  Second, just doesn’t feel like it goes anywhere.  Too obtrusive for background music, but doesn’t really grab my attention for listening.  

I appreciate how modern Mary Lou sounds here, for someone who made their first record in the 1920s.  It's by no means the most modern sounding track on the album.

3 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Could you formally dismiss my two weak-ass guesses?  One has since been ID'd but I don't think the other one has yet.

Well, I didn't want to go negative, trying to accentuate the positive, but...no and no.  

Still, we're doing well so far: 

Still unsolved with no correct guesses: Track 5, Track 10, Track 14, Track 16

Solved: Track 4 (felser), Track 7 (sidewinder), Track 8 (Dub Modal), Track 11 (Dub Modal), Track 12 (Dub Modal), Track 15 (Dub Modal)

Artist and album ID'd: Track 3 (sidewinder), Track 6 (randyhersom)

Artist and song title ID'd: Track 3 (Dmitry)

Artist ID'd: Track 2 (sidewinder, JSngry, tkeith), Track 6 (randyhersom), Track 9 (tkeith - partial), Track 12 (tkeith - partial)

Song title ID'd: Track 1 (felser, Dub Modal, randyhersom, sidewinder, tkeith, Dmitry), Track 2 (felser, randyhersom), Track 3 (tkeith), Track 4 (sidewinder, tkeith), Track 8 (felser, tkeith), Track 13 (BillF, felser, tkeith), Track 15 (BillF)

Ok, attempts at the low hanging fruit partials here: 

Sleuthing long shot for #2 - is it from this album? Even with the stars of the show figured out, this album's a tough one to pinpoint. 

Looks like #3 comes from this album - all the correct guesses on it made the album less difficult to sleuth. 

For # 6, I think it's the song Intermission from this one. If that's the case, discogs says the pianist is actually Zita Carno whom I've never heard of. Mickey Roker & Bob Cranshaw round out the trio. Or is Mary Lou actually playing and this is from a different album? Maybe discogs is incorrect with the credits? Of course, I could have the wrong album guess as well...

# 9 is another difficult one to sleuth. My guess is that it's from this album. That would put Ranelin on the trombone. 

Edited by Dub Modal