Rickie Lee Jones, 'Pieces of Treasure'

Jack Pine

I'm embarrassed to admit I'd not heard of Rickie Lee Jones until last week, and I'm not really sure exactly what I think of her older material, but this new album she just released is pretty exceptional. Interesting arrangements, great players, great tunes. Despite having guys like Russell Malone and Mike Mainieri on board there is very little soloing. The songs are short and sweet, just the right amount, nothing extra.

Just In Time, Nature Boy, and They Can't Take That Away are standouts to my ears, but the whole thing is pretty strong.

Edited by Jack Pine

1 hour ago, Jack Pine said:

40. I don't think I'm in any way representative of my age group though, just in general. I grew up in a serious backwater and have been taken the long way around in discovering many artists.

Here's by far (and probably rightly) her most famous moment, from her first album.  Perfect 1979 California pop.

5 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Her initial run of four or so albums are way up there for me. Since then I've enjoyed the occasional release.

Same here.  She became really quirky after that, in both composition and production style (the 80's synth era did her music no favors, Walter Becker involvement or not).  This one is a really good live album:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a3/Naked_Songs.jpg

3 hours ago, Jack Pine said:

40. I don't think I'm in any way representative of my age group though, just in general. I grew up in a serious backwater and have been taken the long way around in discovering many artists.

Ok, you're young enough to have an excuse. 😋

1 hour ago, bresna said:

I enjoy her previous "Jazz" release, "Pop Pop". I may pick this up if I happen to see it on a shelf. I wonder if they'll file in the rock section as they do with "Pop Pop"?

BTW - I saw her live once and she was pretty close to "obnoxiously drunk". Not an enjoyable evening.

I file artists in only one of my two musical sections on my shelves, "jazz" or "all other".  Makes for some tough calls sometimes (such as Lou Rawls).

15 minutes ago, felser said:

I file artists in only one of my two musical sections on my shelves, "jazz" or "all other".  Makes for some tough calls sometimes (such as Lou Rawls).

Same here, although my 'other' is very loosely themed. My RLJ all in 'other', including 'Pop Pop' and this new one when it arrives.

I don't think I have any Lou Rawls which is probably an error

39 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I don't think I have any Lou Rawls which is probably an error

The live album with Les McCann and a collection from the David Axelrod late-60's era containing this song (there are several different ones available) should be in every household!  

29 minutes ago, felser said:

The live album with Les McCann and a collection from the David Axelrod late-60's era containing this song (there are several different ones available) should be in every household!  

Thank you, I'll see to it!

Pirates & The Magazine are def my favourites, and I have a guilty appreciation of the complete AOR of Flying Cowboys too. I discovered her, I imagine like a lot of younger people, when the Orb sampled her on their track “Little Fluffy Clouds” in 1990 which was taken from a promo interview CD promoting Flying Cowboys.

The Girl At Her Volcano EP from 1983 is lovely too where she covers some jazz standards.

Edited by Harbour

On 5/8/2023 at 4:34 AM, mikeweil said:

That's the only album of her I have, bought after being mentioned here. Her renditions of old standards sound more sincere and authentic to me than Björk's.

OC0zNTg0LmpwZWc.jpeg

I will have to admit that I find Jones unlistenable, especially her version of "Dat Dere." Her voice grates on my nerves.

7 hours ago, Harbour said:

Pirates & The Magazine are def my favourites, and I have a guilty appreciation of the complete AOR of Flying Cowboys too. I discovered her, I imagine like a lot of younger people, when the Orb sampled her on their track “Little Fluffy Clouds” in 1990 which was taken from a promo interview CD promoting Flying Cowboys.

The Girl At Her Volcano EP from 1983 is lovely too where she covers some jazz standards.

'Flying Cowboys', yes! And definitely 'The Girl At the Volcano'

I had no idea that that's her on that Orb tune, about the only one of theirs I know

Of her later albums I also really rate the covers album 'It's Like This', great version of 'Low Spark Of The Highheeled Boys'

Edited by mjazzg

I just listened to "Pieces of Treasure" again. A beautifully produced and recorded album. I really like her interpretations but then I've been a fan ever since I saw her sing "Coolsville" on Saturday Night Live in '79.

37 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Orb? What is Orb? 

A minute long google search found this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Fluffy_Clouds