Intakt new releases

mjzee

Release date June 16:

816iBqbz2oL._SL1210_.jpg

61XYzbWDeyL._SL1211_.jpg

David Virelles presents an eagerly awaited debut album with this superb trio on Intakt Records. Born in Santiago de Cuba, the pianist and composer has established himself on the international jazz scene with his Afro-Cuban influenced keyboard artistry and has made a name for himself with numerous collaborations with artists such as Henry Threadgill, Andrew Cyrille, Chris Potter, Wadada Leo Smith, Tom Harrell, Milford Graves and Ravi Coltrane, among others. Eight of the nine compositions on Carta are penned by Virelles and all open doors to free interpretation and development. Oscillating between composition and improvisation, this trio brings together three of the most influential voices in contemporary US jazz. Carta was recorded at the legendary Rudy van Gelder Studio, and in lieu of liner notes, poet Malik Crumpler has contributed a poem inspired by the music on the album and by his conversations with the musicians.

51Tx0XtNfRL._SL1200_.jpg61zSF+uS18L._SL1200_.jpg

British pianist and composer Alexander Hawkins is a creative epicenter of the London jazz scene and is regarded as one of the most innovative musicians with a surprising radius of action. His trio with Neil Charles and Stephen Davis was formed in 2012 and masterfully celebrates the connection of freedom and structure, composition and improvisation. Carnival Celestial is a fantastic work of musical presence and impressively proves what is possible with piano, bass and drums - one of the more convention-laden formats in jazz practice. "Hawkins, Charles, and Davis clearly have moved the piano trio forward and stretched it's conceptual horizons with Carnival Celestial, and in doing so, they have contributed to it's ongoing vitality," writes Bill Shoemaker in the liner notes.

• 4 months later...
On 5/13/2023 at 11:49 PM, mjzee said:

Release date June 16:

816iBqbz2oL._SL1210_.jpg

61XYzbWDeyL._SL1211_.jpg

David Virelles presents an eagerly awaited debut album with this superb trio on Intakt Records. Born in Santiago de Cuba, the pianist and composer has established himself on the international jazz scene with his Afro-Cuban influenced keyboard artistry and has made a name for himself with numerous collaborations with artists such as Henry Threadgill, Andrew Cyrille, Chris Potter, Wadada Leo Smith, Tom Harrell, Milford Graves and Ravi Coltrane, among others. Eight of the nine compositions on Carta are penned by Virelles and all open doors to free interpretation and development. Oscillating between composition and improvisation, this trio brings together three of the most influential voices in contemporary US jazz. Carta was recorded at the legendary Rudy van Gelder Studio, and in lieu of liner notes, poet Malik Crumpler has contributed a poem inspired by the music on the album and by his conversations with the musicians.

👍

17 hours ago, Clunky said:

I’d agree. Intakt’s output is always interesting.  I’m eagerly awaiting the new Angelina Niescier release. 

That caught my eye too

8 hours ago, BFrank said:

Saw David Virelles with Trio Imagination (Andrew Cyrille and Reggie Workman) earlier this year. Definitely someone to keep an eye one.

So is his back catalogue to date

On 10/17/2023 at 2:46 PM, Alexander Hawkins said:

I had the pleasure of writing the liner notes for Angelika's new one, which I think is stunning!

Well Beyond Dragons arrived yesterday with the Stones album! Unusual combination. Any rate Niesceier’s Intakt release has real urgency. It’s a trio with the incredible Tomeka Reid and Savannah Harris ( new name to me I think) . I think all the Niescier I’ve heard has been on Intakt but once again she leaves a substantial positive impression. I’ll definitely keep her name on my must listen list. Recommended 

56 minutes ago, Clunky said:

Well Beyond Dragons arrived yesterday with the Stones album! Unusual combination. Any rate Niesceier’s Intakt release has real urgency. It’s a trio with the incredible Tomeka Reid and Savannah Harris ( new name to me I think) . I think all the Niescier I’ve heard has been on Intakt but once again she leaves a substantial positive impression. I’ll definitely keep her name on my must listen list. Recommended 

Mine arrived yesterday too but not had a listen yet so heartened by your positive impressions. I have an earlier Niescier on Enja with Sorey and Thomas Morgan making the trio, well worth a listen.

Savannah Harris is a new name to me too.

I seem to have forgotten to order the new Stones album...

19 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Mine arrived yesterday too but not had a listen yet so heartened by your positive impressions. I have an earlier Niescier on Enja with Sorey and Thomas Morgan making the trio, well worth a listen.

Savannah Harris is a new name to me too.

I seem to have forgotten to order the new Stones album...

Saw Savannah Harris with Peter Evans’ “Being and Becoming” this past spring and he was amazing. Will get that CD. Love Tomeka Reid. 

1 hour ago, jlhoots said:

The fairly new Michael Formanek Quartet CD (Malaby, Kris Davis, Ches Smith) is excellent.

BTW, Alexander Hawkins wrote the notes for that one too.

I’ll need to check that out. I rate Kris Davis highly but haven’t heard much from her in the past few years 

• 4 weeks later...

a2388090441_10.jpg

Sylvie Courvoisier----Chimera------(Intakt) 

Arrived a a few days. I've been listening to disc one on repeat. It offers a very different sound to other releases I've heard by the leader. Beautifully spacious recording with a floating cerebral feel but much more visceral than a typical ECM session. Unusual line up with two trumpets , piano, vibes , guitar, bass, drums. Interesting stuff.

Edited by Clunky

5 hours ago, Clunky said:

a2388090441_10.jpg

Sylvie Courvoisier----Chimera------(Intakt) 

Arrived a a few days. I've been listening to disc one on repeat. It offers a very different sound to other releases I've heard by the leader. Beautifully spacious recording with a floating cerebral feel but much more visceral than a typical ECM session. Unusual line up with two trumpets , piano, vibes , guitar, bass, drums. Interesting stuff.

The addition of Fennesz is very interesting considering the rest of the line up is made up of players who must know each other pretty well.

I have streamed it once and need to revisit

On 10/22/2023 at 6:07 AM, jlhoots said:

The fairly new Michael Formanek Quartet CD (Malaby, Kris Davis, Ches Smith) is excellent.

BTW, Alexander Hawkins wrote the notes for that one too.

Haven’t listened to it yet but this quartet’s first album was terrific.

In general albums under Formanek’s name tend to be great.