Ellington in Order

medjuck

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

For those of us who don't do Spotify, do the listings here correspond to what is being released?

Yes, if I understand your question.  The session order given in the listings is not always perfectly followed in the release but the items listed are the items in the release.  They seem to have opted to keep alternates contiguous rather than follow the session order.

By the way I bought the hi res version of volume 1 from Qobuz and the files were very large, about 1 GB total for the 43 files.  Very enjoyable listening and sonically head and shoulders above any other versions I have.

Edited by Stompin at the Savoy

It's interesting that there are only six duplications between EIO Vol. 1 and this Frog release:

dgf79_large.jpg?v=1345801147&f=1&nofb=1&

The duplications are the 3 November 1927 and 9 January 1928 sessions.  Moreover, the Frog has an alternate of Black & Tan Fantasy that the EIO doesn't seem to have.

1 hour ago, mjzee said:

It's interesting that there are only six duplications between EIO Vol. 1 and this Frog release:

The duplications are the 3 November 1927 and 9 January 1928 sessions.  Moreover, the Frog has an alternate of Black & Tan Fantasy that the EIO doesn't seem to have.

How is the sound on that Frog release?

I downloaded the hi res version of Volume 2 from Qobuz yesterday and it appears to have mastering (or distribution?) errors not found on Spotify.  For ex track 2 Diga Diga Do begins with the tune already in progress, ends, and then begins again in the middle!  Similar sorts of problems in track 3 I Must Have That Man, and others.  I am wondering who to contact about this.

Edit: this seems to have been a Qobuz downloader error.  I deleted all the files and downloaded again and the errors appear to be gone.  They ought to be doing checksum type calculations and this shouldn't happen...

Edited by Stompin at the Savoy

44 minutes ago, Stompin at the Savoy said:

I downloaded the hi res version of Volume 2 from Qobuz yesterday and it appears to have mastering (or distribution?) errors not found on Spotify.  For ex track 2 Diga Diga Do begins with the tune already in progress, ends, and then begins again in the middle!  Similar sorts of problems in track 3 I Must Have That Man, and others.  I am wondering who to contact about this.

No such errors in the files I downloaded (not from Qobuz). I'd contact Qobuz. Good luck!

20 minutes ago, sonnymax said:

No such errors in the files I downloaded (not from Qobuz). I'd contact Qobuz. Good luck!

Yeah it does appear to be the Qobuz downloader app.  Does not inspire confidence when the download is reported complete and then there turn out to be errors. I downloaded again and all appears well now. Their downloader also does not handle alac files properly.  It downloads flac files to an 'original' directory and then somehow converts them to alac in a new directory and deletes the 'original' working directory.  The resulting alac files are ok but the metadata like track numbers, album title are lost and the track numbers appear in the song titles.  So I have to edit the songs individually in itunes.  The flac downloads work correctly.

3 hours ago, mjzee said:

Ellington in Order so far used recordings previously issued on CD from the big RCA box and The Okeh Ellington.

The Okeh Ellington has 50 tracks thus there was no room to include the 5 alternate takes. One off them is on the Frog CD. The two sessions you mention are the only Sony owned recordings on the Frog CD. 

• 1 month later...

Volume 5 is on spotify now. As far as I can tell scanning the titles quickly it looks like this volume includes all of disks 3 and 4 of the Mosaic Ellington orchestra set plus 4 tunes with one alternate each from Victor sessions in Sept and Dec of 1933.  I was planning on getting the download of this but after listening to the 8 Victor session tunes not on the Mosaic (last 8 tracks) I am re-thinking that.  Probably not worth it.

On 10/13/2023 at 6:25 AM, Stompin at the Savoy said:

Volume 5 is on spotify now. As far as I can tell scanning the titles quickly it looks like this volume includes all of disks 3 and 4 of the Mosaic Ellington orchestra set plus 4 tunes with one alternate each from Victor sessions in Sept and Dec of 1933.  I was planning on getting the download of this but after listening to the 8 Victor session tunes not on the Mosaic (last 8 tracks) I am re-thinking that.  Probably not worth it.

A small correction: 

This volume contains from the Mosaic Big Band box disc 3 and 4 tracks 1-14 for the master takes and 19-24 for the alternate takes. (Tracks 15-18 from 1934 will be the opening tracks of vol. 6.) From the RCA box the remainder of disc 6 and from disc 7 tracks 1-4.

No takes missing.

4 hours ago, miles65 said:

A small correction: 

This volume contains from the Mosaic Big Band box disc 3 and 4 tracks 1-14 for the master takes and 19-24 for the alternate takes. (Tracks 15-18 from 1934 will be the opening tracks of vol. 6.) From the RCA box the remainder of disc 6 and from disc 7 tracks 1-4.

No takes missing.

Thanks for the correction!

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/26/2023 at 9:57 PM, Stompin at the Savoy said:

There are some very welcome discography pages here --> http://ellingtonlive.blogspot.com/p/in-order-discography.html

There are some inconsistencies comparing the volume 1 tracks to ellington live: Discography: Ellington In Order Volume 1 . Some examples: Why is track 5 (Black and Tan Fantasy) separated from the rest of that session (Creole Love Call, etc.)? Which of the three takes of Washington Wobble is from 10/26/27? Which "I Can't Give You Anything But Love" (tracks 40 & 41) is from 10/30/28 and which is from 11/10/28? Why does my track 41 (d/l from Amazon) give the artist as "Duke Ellington And His Famous Orchestra With Ethel Waters" when it doesn't appear Waters sings on it?

24 minutes ago, mjzee said:

There are some inconsistencies comparing the volume 1 tracks to ellington live: Discography: Ellington In Order Volume 1 . Some examples: Why is track 5 (Black and Tan Fantasy) separated from the rest of that session (Creole Love Call, etc.)? Which of the three takes of Washington Wobble is from 10/26/27? Which "I Can't Give You Anything But Love" (tracks 40 & 41) is from 10/30/28 and which is from 11/10/28? Why does my track 41 (d/l from Amazon) give the artist as "Duke Ellington And His Famous Orchestra With Ethel Waters" when it doesn't appear Waters sings on it?

Yes, there are some discrepancies in the track order and the documentation, which is provided by a fan, not the company.  The company starts this huge reissue program and then provides no discography?  Nevertheless, what we have is better than nothing, I suppose.

I wrote this on the Steve Hoffman forum about the 'temporary' discography I put on my blog:

"I've had look again at the discography I put on the blog and Volume 1 courtesy of Spotify!

I'm sure there will be more corrections to be made - but I wrote up the discography in session order as it appears in The New DESOR and Timner (Fifth edition). i can see that at a couple of points it is at variance with the running order on Volume 1. I can't explain that but thought that publishing the recording sessions as they have been catalogued was the thing to do - even if there is variance. I believe a revised version of Volume 1 will appear at some point and perhaps that will resolve these anomalies. To my discography, I have added the take numbers for Washington Wobble and I Can't Give You Anything But Love. It should be possible to follow which take is on which date because the recordings still occur in the same order in both lists (if that makes sense). With regards to vocalists on this latter number, i guess the In Order list is in error. Listening again to these tracks, I do believe the discography I put out is correct in identifying the vocalists as Irving Mills and Baby Cox.
...I believe at the project's end, Chuck is going to make available all the information he has accessed for these releases which will be all our Christmases come at once for Ellington enthusiasts and which will I hope and expect render my own 'stop gap' account on my blog redundant!"

All definitely a work in progress!

6 hours ago, Ian Bradley said:

I wrote this on the Steve Hoffman forum about the 'temporary' discography I put on my blog:

"I've had look again at the discography I put on the blog and Volume 1 courtesy of Spotify!

I'm sure there will be more corrections to be made - but I wrote up the discography in session order as it appears in The New DESOR and Timner (Fifth edition). i can see that at a couple of points it is at variance with the running order on Volume 1. I can't explain that but thought that publishing the recording sessions as they have been catalogued was the thing to do - even if there is variance. I believe a revised version of Volume 1 will appear at some point and perhaps that will resolve these anomalies. To my discography, I have added the take numbers for Washington Wobble and I Can't Give You Anything But Love. It should be possible to follow which take is on which date because the recordings still occur in the same order in both lists (if that makes sense). With regards to vocalists on this latter number, i guess the In Order list is in error. Listening again to these tracks, I do believe the discography I put out is correct in identifying the vocalists as Irving Mills and Baby Cox.
...I believe at the project's end, Chuck is going to make available all the information he has accessed for these releases which will be all our Christmases come at once for Ellington enthusiasts and which will I hope and expect render my own 'stop gap' account on my blog redundant!"

All definitely a work in progress!

As I mentioned in the Hoffman forum, thanks for all the work you're doing, Ian!

Many thanks!  I'm sure Chuck will provide all this information at project's end and I will be sure publicise this as and when the information is available if I have any advance notice. I'm really looking forward to what previously unknown goodies  may turn up in the late 40s recordings!

Edited by Ian Bradley

On 11/7/2023 at 9:08 AM, Ian Bradley said:

Many thanks!  I'm sure Chuck will provide all this information at project's end and I will be sure publicise this as and when the information is available if I have any advance notice. I'm really looking forward to what previously unknown goodies  may turn up in the late 40s recordings!

FYI, Ian, re your note at the bottom of the page for volume 1 regarding "Hot and Bothered" ("*The version of Hot and Bothered currently available on Volume 1 is, in fact, the version recorded on 12 June, 1930 and repeated on Volume 3 (see here)..."): I downloaded Volume 1 on October 13th, and Sony has replaced "Hot and Bothered" with the correct 21 October, 1928 version.  At least to my ears, the two versions sound very different. I hope this helps.

Volume 6 is up.

This volume contains from the RCA box disc 7 tracks 7-17. This ends the RCA box untill we reach 1940.

From the Mosaic Big Band Box disc 4 tracks 15-18 and disc 5 complete and disc 6 tracks 1-7

Enter the Mosaic Small Groups box for disc 1 tracks 1-4.

Plus as a bonus My Old Flame sung by Mae West. Not included in the Big RCA box because the recording belongs to Paramount Pictures. It was included on the French RCA LP Integrale volume 9 and Classics 646 Duke Ellington 1933-1935 and many more compilations.

Edited by miles65
typo