Ellington in Order

medjuck

I can't find the original announcement online but I've read references to Sony releasing every take of every Ellington recording  they control (including the RCAs) to streaming services with a new volume each month.  The first one ("Ellington in Order, vol.1") is already up.    Anyone here have more or better information? 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could not find more information. I find it's a nice idea, as it is convenient to have these early dates with different labels in one compilation. I just wish they had the dates in the track titles. The credits on Qobuz give the musicians per track, but not the dates.

I quickly compared the sound quality on a few tracks, and it sounds identical to the Centennial box set.

Edited by hopkins

This compilation covers CD 1 and 2 up to track 4 of the big RCA box and CD 1tracks 1-19 of the Okeh Ellington. Leaving out the alternate take of Black and Tan Fantasy. Also the Pathé and Plaza group sessions are missing. In total 15 tracks are missing.

I wonder if releasing these tracks to streaming services and therefore to a potentially new audience will increase the ultimate appeal of "tangible product" of the Ellington recordings as well.
I've found Ellington secondhand vinyl is among the slower sellers of jazz from the Swing era. Not only in my own crate of LP duplicates but also in secondhand shops. Sometimes extremely so: The other day I perused the "budget of the budget" sale corner (each LP priced at 1 EUR only) in our preferred local record shop, and in the midst of a random assortment of LPs from all genres there sits (and has been sitting for some time) what must be virtually the complete 24-LP series of the "The Works of the Duke" Duke Ellington LP series on French RCA (probably the equivalent of what was referred to above as the "big RCA box"). A steal at that price for the vinyl-minded ... As they are scattered across several crates I've half a mind of arranging them in their proper order ;) inside one of these crates next time I drop by there - just to increase possible awareness of other browsers ...

Edited by Big Beat Steve

7 hours ago, miles65 said:

This compilation covers CD 1 and 2 up to track 4 of the big RCA box and CD 1tracks 1-19 of the Okeh Ellington. Leaving out the alternate take of Black and Tan Fantasy. Also the Pathé and Plaza group sessions are missing. In total 15 tracks are missing.

Is the Okeh material remastered?  That would be quite welcome.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

There's nothing to pass on. It's streaming, for free, like a radio station, only you pick the records. 

Well not really free, except in lower res on Spotify or similar.  On a site like Qobuz, you can stream if you have some sort of paid membership or you can download for a price.

26 minutes ago, Stompin at the Savoy said:

Well not really free, except in lower res on Spotify or similar.  On a site like Qobuz, you can stream if you have some sort of paid membership or you can download for a price.

To me, the "lo-res" is definitely enough for recordings from the 1920s. Thanks for the tip!

7 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

I wonder if releasing these tracks to streaming services and therefore to a potentially new audience will increase the ultimate appeal of "tangible product" of the Ellington recordings as well.

I think anything recorded prior to the hi-fi era has a big strike against it at the outset, regardless of musical/cultural/historical value.  

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

I play Spotify on my TV, with commercials. Like a radio station. If I want/need a deeper level of engagement/examination, I go elsewhere. Options abound. 

Works for me. 

I listen on Spotify sometimes (when I can't find anything else basically) but the ads can be really jarring! You're listening to some jazz and suddenly there is some commercial pop at a much higher volume. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...