"Labeled", Cool Jazz Show Sunday afternoons on WKCR

sgcim

Since the passing of Phil Schapp, there's been a serious lack of jazz facts obsessiveness on the air. However a new show, "Labeled" seems to be in contention to match PS' relentless concern over jazz minutia, but narrows its focus to Jazz Labels.

I don't know how long its been on, but two 30ish sounding guys play some great stuff, meticulously list the tune's title, composer, personnel and date of recording, and then proceed to tear into everything and anything related to the label it was recorded on! 

This can include the engineers, the head of the label, the studio it was recorded in, the labels the artist has previously recorded on- basically ANYTHING related to Jazz Labels!

Because there are two announcers (one of them is a writer on strike), there isn't a micro-second of dead air as they fight for domination of the subject matter, with one of them constantly giving in, and telling the other that he's absolutely correct, and he has covered the subject perfectly.

If you're a jazz label fanatic , your ship has come in. The hours are unclear, but they went from about two or three pm to 7:30 last Sunday, and had to be followed by an Eastern Music show, as i f to say another jazz show would upset the balance of the universe!

22 hours ago, sgcim said:

Since the passing of Phil Schapp, there's been a serious lack of jazz facts obsessiveness on the air. However a new show, "Labeled" seems to be in contention to match PS' relentless concern over jazz minutia, but narrows its focus to Jazz Labels.

I don't know how long its been on, but two 30ish sounding guys play some great stuff, meticulously list the tune's title, composer, personnel and date of recording, and then proceed to tear into everything and anything related to the label it was recorded on! 

This can include the engineers, the head of the label, the studio it was recorded in, the labels the artist has previously recorded on- basically ANYTHING related to Jazz Labels!

Because there are two announcers (one of them is a writer on strike), there isn't a micro-second of dead air as they fight for domination of the subject matter, with one of them constantly giving in, and telling the other that he's absolutely correct, and he has covered the subject perfectly.

If you're a jazz label fanatic , your ship has come in. The hours are unclear, but they went from about two or three pm to 7:30 last Sunday, and had to be followed by an Eastern Music show, as i f to say another jazz show would upset the balance of the universe!

Thanks for the tip!  Sounds great.

I remember the wild young years at high school when we was a bunch of kids crazy about jazz , but still not well informed. Somehow we didn´t really know WHAT is "Cool Jazz". We had heard about "Birth of the Cool" but hadn´t still heard it. So most of us thought, that the special harmon muted vibratoless sound of Miles´ trumpet on the early Prestige albums is "Cool Jazz" or that he had "invented Cool Jazz". Other exponents like typical west coast coolers where not so much present in our generation. Later I "discovered" Tristano and spinned it for my friends, and when there were some more atonal lines they said "no Gheoghe, this is "Free Jazz" 😄

17 hours ago, Niko said:

so you didn't know about Dave Brubeck and Take Five?

Believe me, in my first years when I didn´t know other than Miles and Mingus, I didn´t and it seems that I have not even heard his name, until one classmate, who was not necessarly from our "gang"  told me that I must listen to Brubeck, praising him as the top of it. 
He lent me one album, I don´t know if it was Take Five or Unsquare Dance or whatever, and my expectations were great since I was still naive and "trusted" everybody who would mention "jazz". 
In my childish way I thought if this boy says Brubeck is top, it might be at least like what I dug as a kid....let´s say Mingus with Dolphy, Miles with Wayne and Herbie, the electric Miles a la "On the Corner" or "Dark Magus", Trane, Rollins, Ornette, and when I spinned the Brubeck I couldn´t understand what´s so great, I spinned the first side, I spinned the second side, and even my mother (born 1921 ) came upstairs where I had my rooms and said "what´s that kitsch you are listening ?" (it must have been something in our family since my mother didn´t grow up with jazz but when she first heard "Meditations on Integration" from Mingus, or Ornette Coleman´s "Lonely Woman" she was deeply moved by that music). 
So I had a desperatly wrong start with Dave Brubeck and "Take Five". 

On 6/21/2023 at 8:53 PM, sgcim said:

What is the talking-to-music ratio?  

The times I heard Phil Schaap on the air it seemed like he talked far too much, though there were points of interest at times.

The worst thing is an overly talkative emcee. Make the necessary announcements about house rules and concert sponsors, then get off the stage after introducing the leader, not the entire band one by one, unless that is what the band requested. One of the Concert Vault shows had an overly talkative emcee with a scripted introduction, on the second show the NYC audience shouted him offstage.

6 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

The times I heard Phil Schaap on the air it seemed like he talked far too much, though there were points of interest at times.

The worst thing is an overly talkative emcee. Make the necessary announcements about house rules and concert sponsors, then get off the stage after introducing the leader, not the entire band one by one, unless that is what the band requested. One of the Concert Vault shows had an overly talkative emcee with a scripted introduction, on the second show the NYC audience shouted him offstage.

Today, KCR has their regular Jazz Profiles show with Sid Gribetz instead of that Labeled Show. He talks for about 5% of the time and plays music 95% of the time. Five hours of Carmen McRae. Great show.