Pharoah Sanders "Pharoah" (India Navigation)

soulpope

Arrived today. I’d say if you like this album and only own the bootleg version like I died you’d really want to get it. Also if you like some of the extras. This boxed set is really beautifully done by Luaka Bop. Wow!

IMG-4859.jpg

IMG-4860.jpg

IMG-4861.jpg

IMG-4862.jpg

IMG-4863.jpg
IMG-4864.jpg

sound is much better than the bootleg but recording conditions weren’t ideal of course. Glad I was able to sell that one and buy this one. I love this approach to the music and I’m pretty sure the cd will be equally as great. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Curious to how the original pressing sounded. The reissue really surprises me in sound quality. I know, and the booklet also clearly state, that recording conditions were far from optimal but I think it really sounds good, especially Pharoahs tenor where you could actually hear him breathe and his fingers going over the horn. It’s really miles better than the bootleg I had 

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Richer Sounds, where I bought it and it was under warranty. Diagnosed and repaired in an hour so just reinstalled it.

Audio Gold has a very good reputation though I've not used them

https://audiogold.co.uk/

I used Audio Gold for a portable record player about a decade and a half ago. It took them ages and when they'd finished it immediately burst into flame.

Nice place though. It felt like a group of men living their ideal lives, surrounded by bits of old machinery. 

16 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I used Audio Gold for a portable record player about a decade and a half ago. It took them ages and when they'd finished it immediately burst into flame.

Nice place though. It felt like a group of men living their ideal lives, surrounded by bits of old machinery. 

Jeez, well that's some first hand experience to balance more anecdotal reports. Thanks

12 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

It did, although not very dramatic. Acrid smoke and a little puff of fire.

You weren't playing Sabbath at the time, were you?

21 hours ago, mjazzg said:

You weren't playing Sabbath at the time, were you?

My then-girlfriend (now wife) had bought me a copy of Heartbreak Hotel by Elvis as a holder birthday gift for something else. After I had got over the shock and realized that I was not meant to read anything into the gift, I was trying to play it to my father to show him the repaired record player. My dad was 70 at that point and is midway between being weirded out by the (then-incipient) vinyl revival, and kicking himself for having given away his vinyl collection, which he could otherwise have handed on. Then the smoke and the puff of fire.

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Finally got this on the turntable. The live versions of 'Harvest Time' are terrific. Great finds in really good sound, especially Middleheim.

Onto the studio sides, completely unrecognisable from my bootleg copy. Just beautifully rendered, well done Luaka Bop

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

My then-girlfriend (now wife) had bought me a copy of Heartbreak Hotel by Elvis as a holder birthday gift for something else. After I had got over the shock and realized that I was not meant to read anything into the gift, I was trying to play it to my father to show him the repaired record player. My dad was 70 at that point and is midway between being weirded out by the (then-incipient) vinyl revival, and kicking himself for having given away his vinyl collection, which he could otherwise have handed on. Then the smoke and the puff of fire.

The posthumous power of The King

19 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Finally got this on the turntable. The live versions of 'Harvest Time' are terrific. Great finds in really good sound, especially Middleheim.

Yeah both are very nice but the Middelheim stands out in sound quality. Makes you wonder how good the rest of the concert is….

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2023 at 4:41 AM, Pim said:

Arrived today. I’d say if you like this album and only own the bootleg version like I died you’d really want to get it. Also if you like some of the extras. This boxed set is really beautifully done by Luaka Bop. Wow!

IMG-4859.jpg

IMG-4860.jpg

IMG-4861.jpg

IMG-4862.jpg

IMG-4863.jpg
IMG-4864.jpg

sound is much better than the bootleg but recording conditions weren’t ideal of course. Glad I was able to sell that one and buy this one. I love this approach to the music and I’m pretty sure the cd will be equally as great. 

That lead sheet is a really nice addition...