Ebikes Are A Blast!

I've been riding bicycles for many years. For the longest time, I've ridden a Trek hybrid. I liked the riding position more than a straight street bike. As time has gone on, my rides have gotten shorter and I plan my trips to avoid big hills. Then my friend brought over his new ebike and had me take it for a spin. Wow - What a blast!

I bought a Magnum Cruiser and off I went. I love this thing. Hills have completely disappeared and long rides are enjoyable again.

Yes, I am playing my "old fart" card, but at this point of my life but I earned it. :)

Magnum Cruiser - The Bike Shop California

My older brother refuses to even sit on it. He acts as if it's not even a real bicycle. But we both know the real reason is that he would love it and have to buy one himself. :)

On 7/18/2023 at 4:44 PM, mjzee said:

Great article. I particularly liked where it said, "studies have shown that riders using pedal-assists—a type of e-bike that amplifies your pedal power but does not take over entirely—get more exercise than those on regular bikes, because they cycle longer and more frequently". I know this is true for me. I pretty much stopped riding for about 3 years, only going out when I felt guilty or, more likely, after a look in a mirror at my gut. :)

On 7/18/2023 at 6:38 PM, sgcim said:

Yeah, they're a blast alright- thry're burning down NYC! I just got a notice from my co-op board saying that they're banned in my building!

E-bikes are not burning down NYC. Lithium batteries are causing a lot of fires everywhere - including NYC.

But Lithium batteries are not exclusive to E-bikes and NYC fires are not only due to E-bikes. They are in every cellphone & laptop made today. Is your co-op board going to ban them too? Will they ban EVs from being charged in your parking lot? It's a serious situation that needs to be addressed, but trying to place the blame entirely on E-bikes seems shortsighted.

Lithium battery fires are a big problem and I truly believe that what is needed is better regulation. No one should be able to sell any battery or charging system without it undergoing UL certification, but since the US pretty much dismantled their regulatory departments to save money, this isn't being done. I don't think it's even required. And I don't see this changing with what's going on in the US. In fact, there is probably going to be even less industry regulation as the US seems intent on allowing big businesses to cut corners in order to maximize profits.

My Magnum Cruiser comes with a UL charger that shuts off when the battery is charged. They still recommend not charging the battery after the green light goes off (indicating a fully-charged battery) and never leave it plugged in for more than 24 hours (heat?). I am very careful when I charge my battery, only doing it when I'm home and making sure to unplug it once I see that green light. Self regulatory - that's me. :)

Edited by bresna

1 hour ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Seeing that electric vehicles (EVs) are slated (by politics etc.) to eventually replace internation combustion-engine cars, I wonder when motorbikes will (mandatorily?) be ordered to be replaced by e-bikes? :D

over here, there's a huge trend towards replacing motor bikes and the like by e-fatbikes like this thing... looks like a motor bike, is fast like a motor bike (or, at least, much faster than an ordinary bike) but is allowed to drive in the bicycle lane and helmets are not mandatory either... 

1044x1200.jpg

On 7/21/2023 at 7:33 AM, bresna said:

E-bikes are not burning down NYC. Lithium batteries are causing a lot of fires everywhere - including NYC.

But Lithium batteries are not exclusive to E-bikes and NYC fires are not only due to E-bikes. They are in every cellphone & laptop made today. Is your co-op board going to ban them too? Will they ban EVs from being charged in your parking lot? It's a serious situation that needs to be addressed, but trying to place the blame entirely on E-bikes seems shortsighted.

Lithium battery fires are a big problem and I truly believe that what is needed is better regulation. No one should be able to sell any battery or charging system without it undergoing UL certification, but since the US pretty much dismantled their regulatory departments to save money, this isn't being done. I don't think it's even required. And I don't see this changing with what's going on in the US. In fact, there is probably going to be even less industry regulation as the US seems intent on allowing big businesses to cut corners in order to maximize profits.

My Magnum Cruiser comes with a UL charger that shuts off when the battery is charged. They still recommend not charging the battery after the green light goes off (indicating a fully-charged battery) and never leave it plugged in for more than 24 hours (heat?). I am very careful when I charge my battery, only doing it when I'm home and making sure to unplug it once I see that green light. Self regulatory - that's me. :)

You're right of course, but the idiots who are starting the fires aren't as conscientious as you are about charging their lithium batteries, and the headlines always mention E-bikes in conjunction with the fires.

If I ever decide to buy an E-bike, I'll show your post to my co-op board. Thanks!

On 7/21/2023 at 5:34 AM, Big Beat Steve said:

Seeing that electric vehicles (EVs) are slated (by politics etc.) to eventually replace internation combustion-engine cars, I wonder when motorbikes will (mandatorily?) be ordered to be replaced by e-bikes? :D

There are already plenty of electric motorcycles out there, as opposed to e-bikes (pedal-operated bicycles with an electric assist). It's definitely a growing market. A few examples:

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/best-electric-motorbikes 

Former marathon runner and current moderate runner and biker here (twice a week except during the summer, when I go cycling four o five times a week; no huge distances -over 100km-; no serious mountains). I’ve skipped e-bikes and will keep on doing until my legs can support me! 

Edited by EKE BBB

Bresna I grant you the best e-bike avaible. I think for older people and of course people who live in a mountainous region it’s the perfect solution. And part from that it’s (part from the lithium battery) of course more environment friendly than a car.

But here in the Netherlands, where almost everyone owned a bicycle the e-bikes are really taking over. There’s not a single hill to be found here and I see more and more young (overweighted) people cycle on them. Their legs hardly rotate…. I thinks it’s typical for these times: even being too lazy to pedal a bicycle which is the prime feauture of a bicycle: pedaling. And when such a fatty passes me by with that typical self-satisfied smile, they annoy me.

25 minutes ago, romualdo said:

I'm in the first 50 (#45) build slots for the new Australian (Savic) electric cafe racer - first ones off the production line likely December this year.

https://www.savicmotorcycles.com/c-series

Ohhh. Cool !!!!

Let us know how it goes, romualdo!  

As a long-time cyclist and motorcyclist, I'd love to hear about it.  :)

51 minutes ago, romualdo said:

I'm in the first 50 (#45) build slots for the new Australian (Savic) electric cafe racer - first ones off the production line likely December this year.

https://www.savicmotorcycles.com/c-series

Cool looking bike and a great price but the range is a bit limited... which is likely true with all electric motorcycles, since there is only so much space for the battery. :)

8 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Ohhh. Cool !!!!

Let us know how it goes, romualdo!  

As a long-time cyclist and motorcyclist, I'd love to hear about it.  :)

yes, will be interesting - I've been a long term motorcycle (petrol) rider since 1979 (Ducati, Gilera, BMW) currently riding a 1973 BMW 75/5 - will keep this once the Savic arrives.

My concern will be the lack of noise emitted - silent running & accidents - may have to add some synthetic motorcycle sounds via a speaker (ongoing joke suggested by Savic). The model I'm getting should have a range of 250kms.