Rhino Handmade

Tjazz

I recieved this e-mail just last Thursday, March 25, 2004, A.D. @ 5:16 PM:

Dionne Warwick - Very Dionne

CD Price $19.98

By the late '60s Dionne Warwick had become an international star and the virtual embodiment of the Burt Bacharach-Hal David songbook. A former background singer with gospel and R&B roots, she made her name with sophisticated Brill Building pop that appealed to both white and black audiences. She was the jewel of the Scepter Records roster.

Very Dionne, released in 1970, was the last album Dionne Warwick recorded for the independent Scepter label before signing a deal with Warner Bros. Her new contract was the most lucrative ever awarded a female artist up to that time.

Very Dionne is notable for its relative absence of Bacharach-David tunes. Along with three of their compositions (among them "Check Out Time," one of the duo's most cleverly constructed songs), the album gathers a wide array of material. The Beatles' "Yesterday," Paul Williams' "We've Only Just Begun," and "I Got Love," from the Broadway musical Purlie, were all given elegant arrangements by Marty Paich; other highlights include a fine version of Little Anthony & The Imperials' "Going Out Of My Head."

Along with the entire original release of Very Dionne, four tracks from 1977's Only Love Can Break A Heart and three tracks from 1971's The Dionne Warwick Story: A Decade Of Gold are also included on this Rhino Handmade release. An additional ten previously unreleased tracks include several live cuts and a duet version with B.J. Thomas of "They Don't Give Medals To Yesterday's Heroes." David Nathan's liner notes offer extensive back-story on the bonus material.

Very Dionne is available as an individually numbered limited edition of 5,000 copies. Get it at:

http://www.rhinohandmade.com/browse/Produc...sso?Number=7869

Dionne Warwick - The Windows Of The World / Valley Of The Dolls

CD Price $19.98

This expanded and remastered Rhino Handmade edition gathers Warwick's two finest Scepter albums, along with three bonus tracks previously unreleased in the U.S.

Work began on Windows Of The World in 1966, as Warwick's reading of "Alfie" was soaring up the charts. She entered the studio with producer-songwriters Bacharach and David and recorded several songs, including her signature hit "I Say A Little Prayer" and the poignant ballad "The Beginning Of Loneliness," which had been intended as a single before being eclipsed by its B-side, "Alfie." The fast and furious "Another Night" was a departure for the trio, as was "The Windows Of The World," a political song about the Vietnam War. Several standards, including West Side Story's "Somewhere," also appeared on the album. The bonus track "Taking A Chance On Love" has never been released anywhere in the world.

Ironically, a non-Bacharach-David song would give Warwick her biggest movie-theme hit, "(Theme From) Valley Of The Dolls" (the version heard here is the Scepter single version). Other standout tracks on Valley Of The Dolls include Jimmy Webb's "Up, Up And Away" and the perennial favorite "Do You Know The Way To San Jose." Two Italian-language songs, "Lo Volce Di Silenzio" -- "Silent Voices" is the English version included on the album -- and "Dedicato All Amore," make their Stateside debut as bonus tracks.

The Windows Of The World / Valley Of The Dolls is available as an individually numbered limited edition of 5,000 copies. Get it at:

http://www.rhinohandmade.com/browse/Produc...sso?Number=7859

Turning Off The Television

Maybe it happened because we launched it together with expanded editions of the band's classic Marquee Moon and Adventure albums. Maybe it's because the CD offers a unique live look at a seminal alternative rock group. Maybe people just have a soft spot in their hearts for skinny, intellectual guitar heroes. Whatever the reason, our limited edition Television release, Live At The Old Waldorf, San Francisco, 6/29/78 is almost sold out. That's right, we said almost - act quickly and you might still have time to snag a copy of Rhino Handmade's fastest-selling release ever. Go to http://www.rhinohandmade.com now before we have to turn off the Television. (and while we're at it, the John Coltrane Complete Atlantic Recordings vinyl box and the Sonny Bono CD are also teetering on the brink of extinction!)

Other Rhino Handmade Releases You Might Enjoy:

Cher - 3614 Jackson Highway

Jackie DeShannon - Jackie...Plus

Peggy Lee - Let's Love (Expanded & Remastered)

Dionne Warwick - Promises, Promises/I'll Never Fall In Love Again

Dionne Warwick - Soulful Plus

I very much loves me some Dionne from this era. But I don't know if I loves me some 40 bucks for 2 Cds...

Rhino Handmade recently released a 2 CD Doug Sahm set compiled from the Doug Sahm and Band and Texas Tornado sessions, including a lot of interesting unissued recordings and good liner notes. Recommended to all Doug Sahm fans.

I second that! Doug's Atlantic sides in one great set :tup

• 3 months later...

I just purchased my second Rhino Handmade issue - Jack Nitzsche's THREE PIECE SUITE. Truly wonderful, wacked music from an eccentric pop genius. The stuff from his never released eponymous album alone is well worth the price of admission, but everything is worthy of many careful listens.

The first was Jimmy Scott's FALLING IN LOVE IS WONDERFUL which is also, well, wonderful.

Don't miss out on that live Television set! If you like that band at all, it's a great recording and a great performance.

Is it twenty dollars great? That's half a Select.

Yes - it is a great set.

It's also now OOP. I think it can still be found in retail outlets, though. Try to grab a copy, if you are a TV fan.

I'm making eyes to the Rascals set ....

and the Percy Mayfield.

That Rascals set can be purchased from an outside retailer for less than Rhino Handmade prices.

VH1.com has it for $81.68

Seems they don't have it any longer. Considering the unbelievable EUR 170 some German mail order shops ask for, if they can get it at all, the 90 $ from Rhino is a bargain, with the exchange rate in our favour.

But I just saw they have Taj Mahal's Warner Bros. sessions and ordered that one for starters .... :g