BFT 237 Discussion Thread

felser

Welcome to BFT 237!   My usual eclectic mess mix covering the past 60 years, with 8 of the 12 from my 1964-1977 sweet spot.  Different cuts are on here for different reasons.  Some will be extremely difficult to ID.  Some will be pretty easy, but they are meant to invite revisiting albums I believe have been unjustly underrated and overlooked through the years.  Every cut is music I greatly enjoy, but YMMV (indeed YMWV).  As always, your reaction to the music is more meaningful than a correct ID.  Looking forward to some good conversation!

https://thomkeith.net/index.php/blindfold-tests/

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmm...opening up the reveal is a discretionary act, not a formal changing of the calendar date.

I really don't like waiting until the last day of the month to post a reveal. Give it time to breathe for a day or two and then start up the next one on the first of the month clean and fresh.

But that's just me. I like sticking to schedules whenever possible. I guess not everybody does. 

7 minutes ago, T.D. said:

Yes, it's one of those two!

9 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Hmm...opening up the reveal is a discretionary act, not a formal changing of the calendar date.

I really don't like waiting until the last day of the month to post a reveal. Give it time to breathe for a day or two and then start up the next one on the first of the month clean and fresh.

But that's just me. I like sticking to schedules whenever possible. I guess not everybody does. 

I like posting mine the day after the reveal of the previous month, so that there is always a live BFT.  Different schedules for different folks.

3 minutes ago, felser said:

I like posting mine the day after the reveal of the previous month, so that there is always a live BFT.  Different schedules for different folks.

Yeah and it's all good ... personally I have never thought of a reveal needing to breathe or have its own time in the BFT spotlight.  People come to it on their own schedules anyway.

first impressions...

Track 1. great start, i haven't the faintest idea who it is but i'd love to be in a club where it was playing

track 2. well that intro is just felser-music from the off and initially reminds me a little of 'Bridge into the New Age' but this sounds earlier, nice organ and trumpet solos. Everyone sounds familiar.  I'm going to know this when it's ID'd. I could attempt to ID and make a big mistake so holding back.

track 3.  I like this, a lot. Vibes and trombone is a combination I love, is this Hutcherson and Moncur? although I'm not recognising the sax player I want this (If I don't already have it...)

track 4. I thought this was going to be too pretty for my liking with the piano intro but the horns brought some interest and the tune develops nicely. It has the feel of a 70s ECM from a possibly US not European band. One of those lesser known ECM artists like Double Image or Rubaisa Patrol, obviously neither of them.  It grows on me and I think repeat listens will bring more out for me.  Perhaps overstays its welcome with the round of solos. A sneaky winner.

track 5. Not for me, I'm afraid. I'd like it a lot more without the vocals, it's all a bit twee

track 6. Torn by this, part of me says 'too smooth', a dissenting part says 'nice and soulful'. This sounds like it's from an album I might buy only to sell on after a few listens not because it's bad but because it doesn't leave a lasting impression. Too tidy is my conclusion on first acquaintance.

track 7. in contrast to the previous track this is instantly more engaging with a nice knotty theme to kick us off.  Sounds like something a lot of folk listening will know, but not me as yet. That pianist makes me think a little of Don Pullen but that's not an ID just an impression. Sounds like something that Black Saint might have released but possibly a bit earlier. I like this one.

track 8. More vibes, lovely. Instantly interested. Then there's that Tyner-esque theme. I should know this and will be very surprised if I don't. Just the sort of track for @Pim to ID, I'd say. Tolliver? If the album's all like this I want it, now!

track 9. it's tracks like this that make me love felser BFTs. It was The Pointer Sisters last year and this year here's another that hits straight home and about which I have no idea. Sometimes, when i hear tunes like this, i wish i'd delved as deep into soul and R'n'B as I have into Jazz. I belatedly caught the film 'Summer Of Soul' recently and this track makes me think of that. The supressed Soulboy (a very British tribe, I suspect) in me adores this. This is just tremendous. Could we have a BFT all like this please John? 😀

track 10. This sounds a little constrained by the (? live) recording quality Very listenable indeed, classic example of its type. What the kids call 'spiritual' these days, i've heard...

track 11. Hello Julie, and to think what she went on to do and still does. Brits taking Soul and doing their thing, somehow the sunshine isn't as bright and hot over here but the music's good.

track 12. Funky to finish. I'll take this home with mw too please

A great selection, thank you John. An absolute winner in track 9. Tracks 2 and 3 I suspect I may have and will get if not.  Tracks 7 and 8 are another intriguing pairing about which I'm very interested.  

I am glad Felser's BFTs have such a welcoming audience from certain members but let's face it, that ain't me. 

OTOH, BFT237 has led me to coin a phrase: Agitation Saxation tm.  There's a plethora of sax coming up on my January effort (I was almost concerned about a lack of variation in solo instruments) but the style could not be more different than what we have on most tracks here:  Note running.  Blappity blap blap SPLAT.   No story. Hell no melody I'd want to hear again.  I'll stop with the complaining because it's all a matter of taste, and there are plenty here who will love John's tunes. It's just not my cuppa.

Track 1:

I can't say I hated it but it did wear out its welcome about 45 seconds before this short track ended.  More of the saxophone would have helped, and I promise I will never say that again in this post. <green smilie thingie here>

Track 2 - 3:

Agitation Saxation. 

Track 4:

OK in its moody vibe.

Track 5:

No thanks.

Track 6-8:

See Tracks 2-3.

Track 9:

Thankful for the break from post-Coltrane Saxation but not my thing.

Track 11:

Sorry those vocals were torturous for me.

Track 12:

Different than the rest but not sure the point of the extended mellow intro and it didn't do too much for me from there. Too 70s for me.

So 1, 4 and 12 were the least objectionable, such as they were.  Thanks John!

12 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

OTOH, BFT237 has led me to coin a phrase: Agitation Saxation tm.  There's a plethora of sax coming up on my January effort (I was almost concerned about a lack of variation in solo instruments) but the style could not be more different than what we have on most tracks here:  Note running.  Blappity blap blap SPLAT.   No story. Hell no melody I'd want to hear again.  (more commentary deleted)   Thanks John!

Thanks Dan, I think? 🙂  Glad to be able to add to the vocabulary, anyways!

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

first impressions...

Track 1. great start, i haven't the faintest idea who it is but i'd love to be in a club where it was playing 

And it would be playing in Northern clubs over there, even now.

track 2. well that intro is just felser-music from the off and initially reminds me a little of 'Bridge into the New Age' but this sounds earlier, nice organ and trumpet solos. Everyone sounds familiar.  I'm going to know this when it's ID'd. I could attempt to ID and make a big mistake so holding back.

Could be a big surprise !

track 3.  I like this, a lot. Vibes and trombone is a combination I love, is this Hutcherson and Moncur? although I'm not recognising the sax player I want this (If I don't already have it...)

There is one sense in which you'll definitely recognize the sax player... (yes, that's a clue).

track 4. I thought this was going to be too pretty for my liking with the piano intro but the horns brought some interest and the tune develops nicely. It has the feel of a 70s ECM from a possibly US not European band. One of those lesser known ECM artists like Double Image or Rubaisa Patrol, obviously neither of them.  It grows on me and I think repeat listens will bring more out for me.  Perhaps overstays its welcome with the round of solos. A sneaky winner.

US artist, recorded for ECM among many other labels, but certainly not considered an "ECM artist".

track 5. Not for me, I'm afraid. I'd like it a lot more without the vocals, it's all a bit twee

This is included for the surprise value as much as for the music.  I did not expect it to be particulary well-received, though I like it a lot.  But the reveal will be fascinating for some.

track 6. Torn by this, part of me says 'too smooth', a dissenting part says 'nice and soulful'. This sounds like it's from an album I might buy only to sell on after a few listens not because it's bad but because it doesn't leave a lasting impression. Too tidy is my conclusion on first acquaintance.

Me, I love it.

track 7. in contrast to the previous track this is instantly more engaging with a nice knotty theme to kick us off.  Sounds like something a lot of folk listening will know, but not me as yet. That pianist makes me think a little of Don Pullen but that's not an ID just an impression. Sounds like something that Black Saint might have released but possibly a bit earlier. I like this one.

Yes, this should be ID'd by several listeners.  There's a good reason the pianist makes you think of Pullen.  Not on Black Saint, recorded shortly before that label debuted.

track 8. More vibes, lovely. Instantly interested. Then there's that Tyner-esque theme. I should know this and will be very surprised if I don't. Just the sort of track for @Pim to ID, I'd say. Tolliver? If the album's all like this I want it, now!

Yes, major Tolliver involvement on this track, though not a Tolliver album.  Whole album is a winner.  This should get ID'd soon enough.

track 9. it's tracks like this that make me love felser BFTs. It was The Pointer Sisters last year and this year here's another that hits straight home and about which I have no idea. Sometimes, when i hear tunes like this, i wish i'd delved as deep into soul and R'n'B as I have into Jazz. I belatedly caught the film 'Summer Of Soul' recently and this track makes me think of that. The supressed Soulboy (a very British tribe, I suspect) in me adores this. This is just tremendous. Could we have a BFT all like this please John? 😀

I'd love to do a BFT totally like this, but the general populace here would likely revolt!

track 10. This sounds a little constrained by the (? live) recording quality Very listenable indeed, classic example of its type. What the kids call 'spiritual' these days, i've heard...

I love this one too!

track 11. Hello Julie, and to think what she went on to do and still does. Brits taking Soul and doing their thing, somehow the sunshine isn't as bright and hot over here but the music's good.

Yes, great album.  Auger and Tippetts ID'd, but cut and album have not been yet.

track 12. Funky to finish. I'll take this home with mw too please

Should be easy enough to acquire.

A great selection, thank you John. An absolute winner in track 9. Tracks 2 and 3 I suspect I may have and will get if not.  Tracks 7 and 8 are another intriguing pairing about which I'm very interested.  

Thanks Mark, always appreciate our interaction on the board!   I sincerely doubt if you own 2 or 3,  but glad to be of service!  7 and 8 are also recommended pickups, and should be easy enough to come by,

4 minutes ago, B. Clugston said:

I do recognize Track 12. Won't spoil the fun, other than to say the pianist wrote it and the saxophonist is a bit of a surprise. Don't know the rest, but digging each track and look forward to the reveal.

Correct, of course, on #12.  Glad you're enjoying the BFT!

3 hours ago, felser said:

Correct!

Thanks.

Really enjoying the music, that probably closes out the low-hanging fruit I can guess. A lot of the tunes sound like things I should know, but I can't even figure out who the leaders are, which makes ID more difficult. The saxophonist on #3 occasionally brings to mind a couple of Japanese players - Matsukaze (who plays in a lot of styles, sometimes a bit like Dolphy) and Mine - but I can't imagine either is involved. The vocal tracks could likely be sleuthed, but it's far too early for that. Will have to play the selections through a couple more times, and stay away from the thread to avoid spoilers (no offense intended 😉).

52 minutes ago, T.D. said:

The saxophonist on #3 occasionally brings to mind a couple of Japanese players - Matsukaze (who plays in a lot of styles, sometimes a bit like Dolphy) and Mine - but I can't imagine either is involved.

Sax on #3 is USA born and bred.  And not terribly obscure.

I skimmed the BFT, not enough to identify much of anything.  But #1 is the great Twine Time by Alvin Cash.  The band is billed as Alvin Cash & The Crawlers on anthologies such as Beg Scream & Shout! The Big Ol' Box of '60's Soul (Rhino), but I remember this being played on WMCA-AM in NYC and they called them Alvin Cash & The Registers.  This was an amazing era of dance semi-instrumentals, such as Soul Finger (The Bar-Kays), and soul hits such as I Wanna Testify (The Parliaments, who would morph in the next decade into Parliament-Funkadelic).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvin_Cash

7 hours ago, mjzee said:

I skimmed the BFT, not enough to identify much of anything.  But #1 is the great Twine Time by Alvin Cash.  The band is billed as Alvin Cash & The Crawlers on anthologies such as Beg Scream & Shout! The Big Ol' Box of '60's Soul (Rhino), but I remember this being played on WMCA-AM in NYC and they called them Alvin Cash & The Registers.  This was an amazing era of dance semi-instrumentals, such as Soul Finger (The Bar-Kays), and soul hits such as I Wanna Testify (The Parliaments, who would morph in the next decade into Parliament-Funkadelic).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvin_Cash

Correct!  The Crawlers were actually the dancers who worked live with Cash, who was a dancer.  KQV in Pittsburgh credited the record to Alvin Cash and the Crawlers back in the day.  I believe the Registers were the musicians.

Just now, mjazzg said:

Is it David Murray on track.7 ?

No, not Murray, slightly earlier vintage.

5 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Which explains why I know it, it's on my shelves!

Still, credit where credit is due.  I constantly fail to ID BFT cuts I have on my shelves!