What music did you buy today?

tonym

Kid Thomas Valentine and His Algiers Stompers -- "Same Old Soupbone!"

Caught my eye for a couple of reasons: The band substitutes tenor sax for clarinet, giving the music what All Music describes as "a fuller sound," and they perform a few tunes here that are a bit off the beaten path for a New Orleans trad jazz band, such as "Oh Lady Be Good." On order as of a half hour ago, stolen from an amazon seller for ten bucks. Looking forward to it.

e572783wrwh.jpg

Cool! Kid Thomas, when left to his own devices, always had a saxophone in his band instead of a clarinet. Presence of clarinet instead of saxophone on a Kid Thomas album is due to the producer's ideas, not Mr. Valentine's. From the late 1950's on, the saxophonist was usually Emanuel Paul, with his old-fashioned style, big sound, and wide vibrato.

Thanks Jeff. As always, great insights. :tup

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't buy anything today but did order five Marc Anthony cds and one Ricky Martin from amazon on Sunday, all for less than twenty dollars total including shipping. This is music I never listened to until the last three years with my gal, who loves this music. I must say I had a totally inaccurate perception of this music that has been corrected. They are both agile singers and much of the music is very enjoyable. Especially in romantic circumstances.

Didn't buy anything today but did order five Marc Anthony cds and one Ricky Martin from amazon on Sunday, all for less than twenty dollars total including shipping. This is music I never listened to until the last three years with my gal, who loves this music. I must say I had a totally inaccurate perception of this music that has been corrected. They are both agile singers and much of the music is very enjoyable. Especially in romantic circumstances.

the things one does to get laid... :rolleyes:

the things one does to get laid... :rolleyes:

Well, to be completely accurate. .. I was already getting laid, and the music just crept in. I honestly really like their Spanish language recordings. I recommend checking some out. It surprised me how much I have been getting into the music. I know sharing it with her is a draw, but I like it outside of that.

Lon, you might enjoy this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Chica-Chocolate-Olivia-Ruiz/dp/B001LV5OHG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305201492&sr=1-1

(samples here)

As for being weird... I ordered the three Barry Sisters Collectables twofers last night, after having (for the fifth or sixth time in the past year) played their "Our Way (Tahka-Tahka)" three times in a row again.