What music did you buy today?

tonym

Found these today at a local shop:

MI0001839342.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Jan Garbarek - Bobo Stenson Quartet - Dansere

LP - Still sealed!

MI0002937834.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

David Murray Octet - New Life

CD - This has always been my favorite David Murray Octet record. When I was college, I made a cassette tape copy of this music. (My school's library had the LP.) The tape's long gone, of course. Nice to finally have it on CD.

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ordered

Bobby Bradford and John Carter - Tandem 1&2 (remastered)

Steve Adams and Ken Filiano - In Out Side

Gavin Templeton - In Series

Gavin Templeton - Asterperious Special

John Armstrong Jazz Orchestra - Farewell

and the book

Dark Tree: Jazz and the Community Arts In Los Angeles

Grant Green - Matador

Used to have this but traded it years ago. Liked it enough but this was back in the day where trading was a necessity for me if i was going to be able to get new stuff. So, liked it but not enough to hold on to. Was at a restaurant the other night where a jazz mix was playing in the background and the version of My Favorite Things from this album came on. Not quite a spiritual experience but holy hell did it hit the spot. Instant must have in my collection ASAP.

Yusef Lateef, Before Dawn, for $10 off of eBay. We shall see if it actually gets delivered.

I had that one on my watch list :)

I buy from that seller very often. I had two things go undelivered, but all other exchanges have gone off no problem.

I buy from that seller as well, and the rate of "not delivered" is among the worst in my experience. In addition, I find that one needs to open a formal case with eBay to get the seller to pay attention. Ultimately, I've always received a complete refund for the non-delivered items, and thus continue to look through its items hoping to score something somewhat rare at a nice price.

Happily, this title arrived safe and sound last week!

Fantastic book with a very valuable CD.

I agree - recently picked up a copy of this one very cheaply before it starts to get scarce. Makes a very good accompaniment to the Horace Tapscott bio.

Great find with the 'Before Dawn' Patrick - that one is a gem.

Edited by sidewinder

I found these while kicking around in Athens, GA last weekend:

Wuxtry?

The Trio da Paz disc was from Wuxtry. The others were from 2nd & Charles.

IMHO, Wuxtry in Athens has gotten sorta pricey. The ATL Wuxtry store has a much better selection and better pricing too.

I'm behind the times; I don't know 2nd & Charles. I've gotten great stuff from the Athens Wuxtry over the years, but I was pretty disappointed on my last visit. I'm a regular visitor to the Atlanta store; I live maybe two miles away.

2nd & Charles is a chain. The Athens location is on Atlanta Highway in a shopping center next to Hobby Lobby. There's also a 2nd & Charles in Kennesaw, near Town Center Mall.

From what I can gather, 2nd & Charles seems to be trying to copy the business model of McKay's -- the great book & music stores in Chattanooga & Knoxville. But my guess is that 2nd & Charles won't make it very long. The pricing is all over the place; some of the merchandise is terribly over-priced and some of it is way under-priced. Plus, the two stores that I've seen have a lot of shoddy/worthless merchandise -- especially the vinyl. Tons of crap. You have to dig through a lot of dreck to find much that's worthwhile. Honestly, I felt lucky to come away with the Gary Burton & Marc Cary CDs. Nothing else was even remotely interesting.

That said, I only paid $4 each for the CDs -- so I can't complain. And my son found a clean Quicksilver Messenger Service Anthology double LP set for $10. So it's worth popping in to see what you might find. Just don't expect anything anywhere near the quality of the Atlanta Wuxtry or Wax n Facts.

Edited by HutchFan