What music did you buy today?

tonym

Lotte Anker, Craig Taborn, Gerald Cleaver - Triptych [2005, Leo]

R-837384-1163876279.jpeg.jpg

Nobuyasu Furuya Trio (Nobuyasu Furuya, Gabriel Ferrandini, Hernani Faustino) - Bendowa [2009, Clean Feed]

R-1972867-1255972731.jpeg.jpg

I have these two and like them quite a bit. A bit of a mystery to me that neither Anker nor Furuya have caught on in a big way, although they certainly have their followings.

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went ahead and got that new-ish Ryan Truesdell Gil Evans Project live album...wanting to get high on that writing again, just in a little different way.

Anybody else picked up on this yet? Really hoping there's at least as much writing as soloing....

I have it & like it a lot.

Went ahead and got that new-ish Ryan Truesdell Gil Evans Project live album...wanting to get high on that writing again, just in a little different way.

Anybody else picked up on this yet? Really hoping there's at least as much writing as soloing....

No, but they are at Jazz Standard in New York this Thursday to Sunday, which I'm sure would be fun to hear.

09_Edp.jpg

• The Gil Evans Project directed by Ryan Truesdell
The Gil Evans Project directed by Ryan Truesdell

In April 2011, jazz scholar and conductor Ryan Truesdell thrilled a packed Jazz Standard as he lead a star–studded big band through a breathtaking performance of music from composer/arranger Gil Evans’ 1961 album Out Of The Cool. In the spring of 2012, a century after Evans’ birth in Toronto, Ryan and the Gil Evans Project returned to our stage to celebrate their new ArtistShare CD Centennial, featuring previously unrecorded Evans compositions and arrangements. Voted Record Of The Year by the Jazz Journalists Association, this album won the GRAMMY Award for Best Instrumental Arrangement (for the track “How About You”) and also was nominated for Best Large Jazz Ensemble Album and Best Arrange­ment featuring a Vocalist (“Look To The Rainbow,” with Luciana Souza). The New York Times called Centennial “an extraordinary album,” while AllAboutJazz.com hailed “a US national treasure that de­serves a place in the Smithsonian Institute and every jazz record library.” For this return engagement, Ryan Truesdell and the Gil Evans Project release their new live record, Color Lines, which was recorded just a year ago on our stage – make your reservations now!

Ryan Truesdell – Director

Steve Wilson, Dave Pietro, Donny McCaslin, Tom Christensen, Alden Banta, Steve Kenyon – Reeds

Adam Unsworth, David Peel – French Horn

Augie Haas, Tony Kadleck, Scott Wendholt (5/14), Mike Rodriguez (5/15-17) – Trumpets

Ryan Keberle, Tim Albright (5/14), Marshall Gilkes (5/15-17), George Flynn (bass trombone) – Trombones

Marcus Rojas – Tuba

Wendy Gilles – Vocals

Lois Martin – Viola

James Chirillo – Guitar

Frank Kimbrough – Piano

Jay Anderson – Bass

Lewis Nash – Drums

Mike Truesdell – Percussion

Lotte Anker, Craig Taborn, Gerald Cleaver - Triptych [2005, Leo]

R-837384-1163876279.jpeg.jpg

Nobuyasu Furuya Trio (Nobuyasu Furuya, Gabriel Ferrandini, Hernani Faustino) - Bendowa [2009, Clean Feed]

R-1972867-1255972731.jpeg.jpg

I have these two and like them quite a bit. A bit of a mystery to me that neither Anker nor Furuya have caught on in a big way, although they certainly have their followings.

I have to say, I never heard of Furuya myself, but being a fan of the RED trio, I thought this could be an interesting purchase.

As for Lotte Anker, I think she has a beautiful sound and definitely deserves more attention. The other two albums with Taborn and Cleaver are both really great (Floating Islands I would even consider brilliant), so I couldn't let their debut album go by.

In the Netherlands, May is traditionally the month workers get paid their "vacation money" (I don't know if this concept is known outside of the Netherlands?), so I thought an extra order was justifiable:

Joe McPhee & Michael Zerang - Creole Gardens (A New Orleans Suite) [2011, NoBusiness, vinyl]

MI0003434693.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Olie Brice, Tobias Delius, Mark Sanders - Somersaults [2015, Two Rivers]

R-6861876-1428214869-8743.jpeg.jpg

Giovanni di Domenico & Alexandra Grimal - Chergui [2014, Ayler]

R-6127610-1427451251-8363.jpeg.jpg

Nuts - Symphony for Old and New Dimensions [2009, Ayler]

51D%2Bx-bnIML.jpg

Edited by niels

In the Netherlands, May is traditionally the month workers get paid their "vacation money" (I don't know if this concept is known outside of the Netherlands?), so I thought an extra order was justifiable:

Joe McPhee & Michael Zerang - Creole Gardens (A New Orleans Suite) [2011, NoBusiness, vinyl]

MI0003434693.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Olie Brice, Tobias Delius, Mark Sanders - Somersaults [2015, Two Rivers]

R-6861876-1428214869-8743.jpeg.jpg

Giovanni di Domenico & Alexandra Grimal - Chergui [2014, Ayler]

R-6127610-1427451251-8363.jpeg.jpg

Nuts - Symphony for Old and New Dimensions [2009, Ayler]

51D%2Bx-bnIML.jpg

No 'vacation pay' here but I did order the Delius/Brice/Sanders yesterday as well. That Nuts album is strong

No 'vacation pay' here but I did order the Delius/Brice/Sanders yesterday as well. That Nuts album is strong

Yes, I'm really excited for that (Delius/Brice/Sanders) album! I loved Brice's Immune to Clockwork album from last year on Multikulti and still play that one quite a lot, and really like the Brice/Sanders combo in the Riverloam trio with Trzaska.

In the Netherlands, May is traditionally the month workers get paid their "vacation money" (I don't know if this concept is known outside of the Netherlands?),]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

no.

But Creole Gardens is fantastic. I listened earlier this week. Will need to grab the Brice you showed.

And erwbol, the Braxton is top notch! Great Gerry Hemingway on there, and I love Brax's notes.

In the Netherlands, May is traditionally the month workers get paid their "vacation money" (I don't know if this concept is known outside of the Netherlands?),]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

no.

But Creole Gardens is fantastic. I listened earlier this week. Will need to grab the Brice you showed.

And erwbol, the Braxton is top notch! Great Gerry Hemingway on there, and I love Brax's notes.

Yes, and that is on top of the payed vacation off-time US citizens sadly don't get either.

PS Even the unemployed and disabled get this "vacation money" (a fixed percentage of their income).

Yes, I'm really excited for that (Delius/Brice/Sanders) album! I loved Brice's Immune to Clockwork album from last year on Multikulti and still play that one quite a lot, and really like the Brice/Sanders combo in the Riverloam trio with Trzaska.

I need to remind myself to get some of these. Clockwork plus the new trio recording with Delius, Brice and Sanders will be a start

No, but they are at Jazz Standard in New York this Thursday to Sunday, which I'm sure would be fun to hear.

09_Edp.jpg

• The Gil Evans Project directed by Ryan Truesdell
The Gil Evans Project directed by Ryan Truesdell

In April 2011, jazz scholar and conductor Ryan Truesdell thrilled a packed Jazz Standard as he lead a star–studded big band through a breathtaking performance of music from composer/arranger Gil Evans’ 1961 album Out Of The Cool. In the spring of 2012, a century after Evans’ birth in Toronto, Ryan and the Gil Evans Project returned to our stage to celebrate their new ArtistShare CD Centennial, featuring previously unrecorded Evans compositions and arrangements. Voted Record Of The Year by the Jazz Journalists Association, this album won the GRAMMY Award for Best Instrumental Arrangement (for the track “How About You”) and also was nominated for Best Large Jazz Ensemble Album and Best Arrange­ment featuring a Vocalist (“Look To The Rainbow,” with Luciana Souza). The New York Times called Centennial “an extraordinary album,” while AllAboutJazz.com hailed “a US national treasure that de­serves a place in the Smithsonian Institute and every jazz record library.” For this return engagement, Ryan Truesdell and the Gil Evans Project release their new live record, Color Lines, which was recorded just a year ago on our stage – make your reservations now!

Ryan Truesdell – Director

Steve Wilson, Dave Pietro, Donny McCaslin, Tom Christensen, Alden Banta, Steve Kenyon – Reeds

Adam Unsworth, David Peel – French Horn

Augie Haas, Tony Kadleck, Scott Wendholt (5/14), Mike Rodriguez (5/15-17) – Trumpets

Ryan Keberle, Tim Albright (5/14), Marshall Gilkes (5/15-17), George Flynn (bass trombone) – Trombones

Marcus Rojas – Tuba

Wendy Gilles – Vocals

Lois Martin – Viola

James Chirillo – Guitar

Frank Kimbrough – Piano

Jay Anderson – Bass

Lewis Nash – Drums

Mike Truesdell – Percussion

I saw these guys last night. It was a great show. :)

IMHO, top solo honors went to Marshall Gilkes for terrific trombone work on "Time of the Barracudas."

Edited by HutchFan

Ordered the Bud Powell Trio Roost album. Expected back in stock in 2-4 weeks from Amazon Japan, but i'm happy to wait.

I ended up cancelling the above order: a couple of weeks in the listing on the main site changed to that status where it looks like it'll never be back in stock and there were other things that i needed the money for anyway. Was pleasantly surprised to see it back in stock while browsing last night: re-ordered, so stoked. Edited by xybert

Ordered the Bud Powell Trio Roost album. Expected back in stock in 2-4 weeks from Amazon Japan, but i'm happy to wait.

I ended up cancelling the above order: a couple of weeks in the listing on the main site changed to that status where it looks like it'll never be back in stock and there were other things that i needed the money for anyway. Was pleasantly surprised to see it back in stock while browsing last night: re-ordered, so stoked.

I believe it's not speed corrected unlike the BN box that was.

I ended up cancelling the above order: a couple of weeks in the listing on the main site changed to that status where it looks like it'll never be back in stock and there were other things that i needed the money for anyway. Was pleasantly surprised to see it back in stock while browsing last night: re-ordered, so stoked.

I believe it's not speed corrected unlike the BN box that was.

Dang. I actually have a lossless copy of the BN box that i ripped from the library years ago so it'll be interesting to compare.

I ended up cancelling the above order: a couple of weeks in the listing on the main site changed to that status where it looks like it'll never be back in stock and there were other things that i needed the money for anyway. Was pleasantly surprised to see it back in stock while browsing last night: re-ordered, so stoked. I believe it's not speed corrected unlike the BN box that was.

Dang. I actually have a lossless copy of the BN box that i ripped from the library years ago so it'll be interesting to compare.

I have a Japanese disc from 2006 (TOCJ-6806) and the track times do not correspond with those of the BN box. I think the sound is pretty off-putting.

I ended up cancelling the above order: a couple of weeks in the listing on the main site changed to that status where it looks like it'll never be back in stock and there were other things that i needed the money for anyway. Was pleasantly surprised to see it back in stock while browsing last night: re-ordered, so stoked. I believe it's not speed corrected unlike the BN box that was.

I have a Japanese disc from 2006 (TOCJ-6806) and the track times do not correspond with those of the BN box. I think the sound is pretty off-putting.

Here's a link to the one i'm getting, not sure if you can tell anything from it. Looks to have been released in 2010:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/バド・パウエルの芸術-バド・パウエル/dp/B003VPMF18/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1431814450&sr=8-14&keywords=Bud+powell

Dang. I actually have a lossless copy of the BN box that i ripped from the library years ago so it'll be interesting to compare. I have a Japanese disc from 2006 (TOCJ-6806) and the track times do not correspond with those of the BN box. I think the sound is pretty off-putting.

Here's a link to the one i'm getting, not sure if you can tell anything from it. Looks to have been released in 2010:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/バド・パウエルの芸術-バド・パウエル/dp/B003VPMF18/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1431814450&sr=8-14&keywords=Bud+powell

I believe your copy is TOCJ-50040.