What music did you buy today?

tonym

21 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I've been on an Art Song/Lied kick for the last few days, so I decided to order these two Elly Ameling CDs:

41AC5RT6K9L.jpg  41Z3DPXKRVL.jpg

The Early Recordings, Vols. 3 & 4 (RCA, originally released on Deutsche Harmonia Mundi)
Vol. 3 features lieder by Brahms & Schumann, and Vol. 4 has lieder by Schubert & (more from) Schumann.

I'm particularly looking forward to hearing the Brahms.

Her Brahms is terrific ....

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been on an Ahmad Jamal kick lately. Previously only had Live at the Pershing which i always loved for Poinciana but wasn't really feeling the rest. Recently, however, the penny dropped...

Picked up:

- Ahmad's Blues

- Awakening

- Tranquility/Outertimeinnerspace Impulse! twofer

- Trio & Quintet Recordings with Ray Crawford (really nice two disc set on el/Cherry Red which collects what it says on the box. The trio stuff is great but the quintet stuff is a bit of a surprise gem for me!)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2017 at 2:05 PM, soulpope said:

Did this set already arrive .... and if so would you mind to share your impressions ?

It arrived, but was defective and I've already packed it up to return tomorrow.

I very much liked disc 1, which was done in a lively style, but track #8 consisted of static (though all others were fine). That pissed me off so much that I couldn't form serious impressions of discs 2 and 3 (though I listened).

My erudition in the area of harpsichord recordings is insufficient to make significant recommendations. I definitely enjoy Hantai's Goldbergs (older release on Opus 111), and he's long been well-regarded. The reviews I've read of his Scarlatti are excellent.

I will almost certainly order a replacement set. In purely economic terms, the big complete box by Scott Ross (34 discs for $54 + S/H from Amazon sellers) has a good reputation and is a far better deal than $22 + S/H for this one. But I avoid mega-boxes (most of the discs never get played), and 34 CDs is serious overkill for me in this repertory.

Edited by T.D.

2 hours ago, T.D. said:

It arrived, but was defective and I've already packed it up to return tomorrow.

I very much liked disc 1, which was done in a lively style, but track #8 consisted of static (though all others were fine). That pissed me off so much that I couldn't form serious impressions of discs 2 and 3 (though I listened).

My erudition in the area of harpsichord recordings is insufficient to make significant recommendations. I definitely enjoy Hantai's Goldbergs (older release on Opus 111), and he's long been well-regarded. The reviews I've read of his Scarlatti are excellent.

I will almost certainly order a replacement set. In purely economic terms, the big complete box by Scott Ross (34 discs for $54 + S/H from Amazon sellers) has a good reputation and is a far better deal than $22 + S/H for this one. But I avoid mega-boxes (most of the discs never get played), and 34 CDs is serious overkill for me in this repertory.

Thnx for your feedback .... I would expect good things from Hantai's Scarlatti .... in case your replacement order should arrive in good shape I would appreciate a further resume nevertheless ....

I've been on my most successful music buying moratorium since age 14; my last purchase was a pre-order of REM's OOT deluxe in early October. However, just a bit ago, I ran into a thread over on SHF addressing VU's 45th anniversary eponymous release versus The Matrix Tapes box. I have the first and thought the latter would remain out of reach financially after going OOP in 2015 (Amazon lists it new @ $89). Yet, after a poster from Sweden remarked on recent lower prices, I searched ebay and - to my astonishment - found new sets selling from high volume, reputable dealers at around $40USD. Sooooo, I executed the fastest series of left mouse clicks my motor skills could accomodate. Matrix Regret no more! WOOT!

velvet_underground_complete_matrix_tapes

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VELVET-UNDERGROUND-COMPLETE-MATRIX-TAPES-RECORDED-1969-4-CD-SET/291935606975?_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D40804%26meid%3Da235340ba0eb41a9a1c7aa5dec9aa96e%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D311498276270

Anna Högberg Attack on CD. I was lucky to find a sealed copy on Discogs that wasn't there when I checked earlier this month. The CD seemed to have sold out all over the internet with only vinyl still available. Why do people still tolerate such an inadequate medium?

This Swedish seller, however, seems to have more sealed copies available. https://www.discogs.com/Anna-Högberg-Attack-Anna-Högberg-Attack/release/8175155?utm_campaign=order-confirmation-buyer&utm_medium=email&utm_source=transactional