Yusef Lateef: Atlantis Lullaby

ghost of miles

Forthcoming release from Jazz Detective--here's the press release:

A truly sensational find from the great producer Zev Feldman, Atlantis Lullaby: The Concert in Avignon features the legendary saxophonist and multi-instrumentalist Yusef Lateef with pianist Kenny Barron, bassist Bob Cunningham and drummer Albert "Tootie” Heath, captured at the Cloître des Célestins in Avignon, France on July 19, 1972.

This 2 LP official release from Elemental Music in cooperation with the Yusef Lateef Estate and INA France, is out on Record Store Day, April 20, 2024 with the 2-CD set, streaming and downloads to follow on April 26.

Transferred from the original tape reels, this recording was originally captured for an ORTF Radio broadcast restored and mastered by Matthew Lutthans at The Mastering Lab. The limited-edition 180-gram 2-LP edition (and deluxe CD) includes an extensive insert with rare photographs, newly-commissioned liner notes by Shannon Effinger, and interviews and testimonials from Kenny Barron, Albert “Tootie” Heath, Adam Rudolph, Reggie Workman, Joe Lovano, Tia Fuller, Bennie Maupin, James Carter and Sonny Rollins.

4c0eedb3-0d68-978c-5e0f-bde22e2be5b2.png
602f12ec-86bf-1431-9634-7dc8d339defd.jpg
4eb70880-de3a-ecfc-e684-9d3f2fb587e0.jpg
a845d1c4-8688-4aef-1844-ccbd63427c65.jpg

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

26 minutes ago, tranemonk said:

Love it... Zev is getting some cash from me with these upcoming Sonny, Art and now Yusef releases.

This comes closest to one I'd buy the rest that have gotten threads started not so much.

Was really hoping for more Left Bank tapes, I wonder if Cory Weed's label has any of their own to announce.

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

Ten Years Hence is really good

Yes it is, but should have been so much better.  Why on earth did Joel Dorn sabotage those last two tracks (on a live quartet date) with studio strings, horns, background vocals?!?.  Wish they would reissue that album with Dorn's adulterations removed.  As far as this new set, count me all in for the CD release!

23 hours ago, JSngry said:

Do you know that Dorn made that decision unilaterally? 

This is a good question. I assume Yusef was more than a willing participant in the conception and execution of the overdubbed tracks given all the other records he and Dorn were making at the time. However, those tracks are still a drag to me, because the only documentation we have of this group -- Yusef's finest working band -- in its pure form  are the quartet-only tracks on 10 Years Hence. So, this new set is REALLY welcome. An interesting coda, however, is that there are still 29 (!) unissued tracks from the two nights recorded at the Keystone Korner from which the material was drawn for 10 Years Hence.