Newport Jazz Festival 70th Anniversary

Tomorrow 1 PM EST they are announcing the lineup and offering lower-priced tickets. I'll likely be going for all three days. I hope this lineup doesn't disappoint. Last year's was better than its been in the last few years.

Newportjazz.org

42 minutes ago, felser said:

I like Chic and Elvis Costello, but never thought of them as headliners for major jazz festivals (or appearing on the same bill together.

It's so embarrassing...  George Wein would not be happy.

I looked at the first few lines and thought WTF are these people doing at a jazz festival? I never heard of most of them. Much like the New Orleans JazzFest, the top billings go to a bunch of commercial acts that hold absolutely no interest for me.

George Wein included non-jazz acts because of the bottom line, he said so in more than one article and I think his autobiography.

I do find it puzzling as to why the non jazz acts are often the first 8 to 10 acts billed for what is supposed to be a jazz festival. I feel like the Jazz Masters on the bill deserve better, having somebody like Bruce Springsteen billed above Duke Ellington is ridiculous (though Duke would have not shown up had that happened).

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Oh yeah?

1977-08-13ps.jpg

1979-06-01countystad.jpg

I get it... and I'd take most of those bands any day over this nonsense. Am I wrong in thinking Wein thought Newport was a little different and should be treated that way?

43 minutes ago, Ken Dryden said:

George Wein included non-jazz acts because of the bottom line, he said so in more than one article and I think his autobiography.

I do find it puzzling as to why the non jazz acts are often the first 8 to 10 acts billed for what is supposed to be a jazz festival. I feel like the Jazz Masters on the bill deserve better, having somebody like Bruce Springsteen billed above Duke Ellington is ridiculous (though Duke would have not shown up had that happened).

I'm 100% with you on this. It's the fact that most of the last 4-5 years of this festival have often been pushing acts that have nothing to do with jazz. I thought when George handed it over to Christian McBride... it would be in good hands. The last few years has made me rethink that.

One other point... when it's the 70th, shouldn't there be a more "historical" bent to the jazz part of the jazz festival? I mean, sentimentality can turn a profit when it's done well.

Oddly enough, there's a lot more jazz on this new bill than I thought. It's just 2024 jazz.

And yeah, there's some non-jazz too. But even most (most, not all) of that is jazz-adjacent to one degree or another.

I mean, if you market exclusivelyt o cranky old people...gotta build for the future. Louis Armstrong is dead. So is Mel Torm. For that matter, so are Marvin Gaye & B.B. King.

Holographic shows, maybe?

15 minutes ago, tranemonk said:

I don't think Elvis Costello appeals to the old or new jazz/non jazz fan.

He appeals to me, so not 100% true.  He's terribly inconsistent, but throws out a fascinating album often enough that I try to keep up with his work (though sometimes with a several year delay to get them cheap on the used market).  Very few other rock artists from his era I can say that about at this point (Richard Thompson is the only other one who immediately comes to mind).

He sings standards now and one of his songs was covered by Chet Baker. He's been married to Diana Krall since 2003 and in 2004 she did an album of songs they co-wrote.

Plus, he used to be a rock star of sorts.

So he can draw a crowd to a jazz festival, rightly or wrongly.

And he's being backed by McCoy Tyner!!!!!!!

44 minutes ago, felser said:

He appeals to me, so not 100% true.  He's terribly inconsistent, but throws out a fascinating album often enough that I try to keep up with his work (though sometimes with a several year delay to get them cheap on the used market).  Very few other rock artists from his era I can say that about at this point (Richard Thompson is the only other one who immediately comes to mind).

I actually don't mind Elvis and I knew about the Diana Krall combo... but what perturbs me... is the absolute hodgepodge of the 70th anniversary. I mean I didn't expect ALL jazz stuff... but sheesh... I did not expect to basically go - who? who? who the hell is that? They threw me a bone with Kenny Barron and Artemis but... jeez... I guess I've officially entered "get off my lawn old man" territory.

If you want to travel, go to the Detroit festival. It's all free, and there's zero non-jazz/non jazz-adjacent music. I went last year and had a blast! Waiting to see who's being booked this year, and may very well go again!

WTF is Andre3000? It is the first name mentioned on the Montreal Jazz Festival billing as well. Stupid group names mean music of no interest to me.

i just looked up this clown and he is another useless rapper. Giving top billing to a rapper at a jazz festival is total bs.

Edited by Ken Dryden

52 minutes ago, JSngry said:

If you want to travel, go to the Detroit festival. It's all free, and there's zero non-jazz/non jazz-adjacent music. I went last year and had a blast! Waiting to see who's being booked this year, and may very well go again!

The one bad memory I have of the Montreux-Detroit Jazz Festival broadcasts is the hosts jabbering at length once the top of the hour was reached, even if the headliner was performing. Whoever encouraged that crap should have been banned from radio. Contrary to popular belief, even a station ID is not required in the middle of airing a live event on public radio.

Edited by Ken Dryden

I didn't listen to it on the radio, I was there in person. My daughter lives up there now, so we got to see the city, from all angles. Three stages, all in walking distance of each other.

oh yeah, it's all free. Did I mention that?

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

He sings standards now and one of his songs was covered by Chet Baker. He's been married to Diana Krall since 2003 and in 2004 she did an album of songs they co-wrote.

Plus, he used to be a rock star of sorts.

So he can draw a crowd to a jazz festival, rightly or wrongly.

And he's being backed by McCoy Tyner!!!!!!!

Costello was (rightly) a very big deal in post-punk/new wave in the late 70's/early 80's.  He and Joe Jackson were the cream of that crop for me.

Costello is being backed by McCoy Tyner who passed in 2020?  Tell me more!

3 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

WTF is Andre3000? It is the first name mentioned on the Montreal Jazz Festival billing as well. Stupid group names mean music of no interest to me.

i just looked up this clown and he is another useless rapper. Giving top billing to a rapper at a jazz festival is total bs.

He no longer raps. His latest album involved multi-instrumentalist Carlos Nino and Andre himself plays a variety of custom-made flutes. It will be improvised music.

24 minutes ago, felser said:

Costello is being backed by McCoy Tyner who passed in 2020?  Tell me more!

It's a concession to the Grumpy Old Farts jazz demographic. They tried to get Horace Silver, but Elvis insisted on writing his own lyrics to Horace's tunes. Horace said that that was NOT a total response and turned down the gig.

Missed opportunity if you ask me. McCoy carpe diemed. Come early and stay late for this one!

I used to get disgusted, but now I only get amused.

I know only Christian McBride, Stanley Clark and the Kenny Barron Trio, the rest......? 

But Festivals became bullshit since many years. Here in Viena when there were the last festivals, it was also too many non jazz acts or "big names" of stars who play piano and sing old standards, young college styled kids doin "I get a kick out of you" ...., and pop acts. 

I know the artists who I heard on festivals in my youth are gone, but why didn´t they make a jazz festival with all them hot stuff players who are the top acts in N.Y. clubs, all them great cats who play at "Smoke´s", at "Small´s" and so on.....? just jazz......